• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1 Atom

SoyLeche

meh...
I'm not a particle physisist, but I don't believe that there were any atoms in the big bang. They didn't form until after the universe cooled down a bit.

Archer

I'm not a particle physisist, but I don't believe that there were any atoms in the big bang. They didn't form until after the universe cooled down a bit.

There was nothing. Then something? God works within nature so there had to be something. I believe you may be correct in principal but I also believe in an eternal flux (universal expansion and contraction), that being the case before compression there were atoms.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
There was nothing. Then something? God works within nature so there had to be something. I believe you may be correct in principal but I also believe in an eternal flux (universal expansion and contraction), that being the case before compression sand there were atoms.

Your post puts nature over God.
Which is greater?
The Creator...or the creation?

freethinker44

I think the universe expands and contracts as well, but it is important to note that with every cycle, what was before is irrelevant to what is to come. It doesn't matter whether atoms existed before, at the moment of the big bang, all of time and space is erased and begins anew. I am not a physicist either but I do know that atoms didn't exist until after the big bang.

That said, I understand what you were trying to say so I will try to answer.

If atoms didn't exist, then whatever the universe was made of before the big bang, if there was any small change in its nature, would the universe exist as it does today? I don't think the odds are infinity to one, I don't even think that is mathematically possible, but I also don't think what happened before the big bang is relevant to what happened after.

In the moment of inflation, all matter was spread uniformly throughout space, completely equal in size and proportion, so there would have been no gaps left from a piece of the universe that was taken away, unless it was taken away after inflation occurred, but that isn't what you asked, so no, I don't think any more or less matter at the big bang would be significant.

dogsgod

There was nothing. Then something? God works within nature so there had to be something. I believe you may be correct in principal but I also believe in an eternal flux (universal expansion and contraction), that being the case before compression there were atoms.
The big bang is the moment the universe began to expand, it consisted of energy in the form of light, and that energy condensed into matter as the universe cooled. So there was something for matter to materialize.

Archer

So no atoms at one point only light? What emitted the light?

Something was there and became compressed reaching a critical mass. BTW think little bang to form what we know.

Not science V/S religion just a question.

xkatz

Basically all I know is that the before the big bang the universe was basically like a giant sun; dense and high energy.

Archer

I guess where I am going with this is could it be random? what are the ODD's? I say it is a statistical impossibility. Therefore what was the catalyst? How can one deny the existence of God?

Evee

Listen, if the composition of the Universe were very slightly different, we wouldn't be here, but some other life form would and it would be asking exactly the same question. "Gee, what are the odds that it's US who were made?"

Here is an illustration given by Richard Feynman. I'm paraphrasing from a lecture he gave in Washington, DC.

As I was walking into the building today, I saw a car with the liscence plate D8T 9U2. What are the odds of that? Of all the combinations in all of Washington, I happened to see that particular one!

Of course, the odds are astronomically small against, but...so what. If it hadn't been that one, it would have been another one and it would have suited the illustration just as well. If it weren't us, it would be the intelligent species that evolved in THAT Universe that would be asking these questions. What makes something remarkable is not that it happened once, but that it happened again.
I believe in G-d, but you can't find scientific or mathematical proof of Him in this world. He's the maker, but his machine runs well.

Archer

Could the proverbial bang have happened had the mass been different? I am not saying just us to ask the question I am saying would it have even happened?

Evee

When the bang happened, there was no mass (according to current theory). Everything was energy and then it turned INTO mass right afterwards. It could have happened with less or more energy, yielding less or more mass, respectively.

Archer

E=MC^2, there was Mass or Einstein was wrong. The two are interchangeable or are they? Light is energy yet it cant be turned to a solid can it? If it can has science now proven God?

Morse

To Extinguish
E=MC^2, there was Mass or Einstein was wrong. The two are interchangeable or are they? Light is energy yet it cant be turned to a solid can it? If it can has science now proven God?

If you have a cup of water, do you also have a cup of steam?

Archer

Kinetic and potential. Add some electricity and you can split the molecule and get hydrogen and oxygen.

Yes the water is just in a different state, as there are many states to matter: solid, liquid, gas and plasma. So it was a ball of plasma? If so the density of such should have had a solid/molten core just as the sun.

EDIT: I should qualify that solid/liquid thing, it is just a way to describe it. It is of such density that it, if it could be touched, would be solid for all particle purposes.

Last edited:

Troublemane

This assumes there really was a Big Bang. However, there have been discoveries of galaxies that are over 30 billion light years away. Now....if the universe is only 13 billion years old, how can there be galaxies that far? The light would not have reached us by now. One might think.