• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about the 2016 US presidential race?

Deidre

The current US government paradigm needs to be fixed, it’s broken. Like a car with a faulty engine…no matter who you put in the driver’s seat, the car needs to be fixed. I guess for me, it comes down to…who can steer this broken car better than the other?

I most likely won’t vote. Unless a dashing independent with brilliant ideas, who happens to be an atheist rises up out of the ashes…I doubt I’ll vote.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And how would some power-hungry, narcissistic old hag improve my life?
I'm OK with her being power hungry, a hag (I ain't no beauteous spring chicken either), & can even tolerate narcissism.
But I see her as....
- A hawk
- A tax & spender
- Authoritarian
- Secretive (purging her record)

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I have something nice to say about Hillary Clinton. The election process will be a lot of fun, what with her being a woman and all.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
We make a mistake, imo, with having our elections being nothing more than popularity contests, and I really would hope that people would more concentrate of what the issues are and vote more accordingly.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I was looking for Elizabeth Warren or a good dark horse Democrat or I'd vote Republican, probably for Rand Paul.

But now Jim Webb is running as a Democrat. I checked out the wikipedia. He's perfect! Great war experience, pro-gun, anti-illegal-immigration, and for American workers.

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
Quick wave from the other side of the Atlantic :)

..am I the only person thinking this? Ted Cruz is (according to many reports) extremely intelligent, yet he has said some of the most idiotic even bat**** crazy sorts of rubbish before and after declaring that he's running. Does anyone else think that he's doing this intentionally, maybe so that one of the slightly (but not much) more mainstream Republicans is going to look sensible, even statesmanlike when put next to him?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

..am I the only person thinking this? Ted Cruz is (according to many reports) extremely intelligent, yet he has said some of the most idiotic even bat**** crazy sorts of rubbish before and after declaring that he's running. Does anyone else think that he's doing this intentionally, maybe so that one of the slightly (but not much) more mainstream Republicans is going to look sensible, even statesmanlike when put next to him?
It can be hard to tell who is dumb, & who is merely pandering to the dum.

TurkeyOnRye

Yes.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
For this thread I would like it if we talk friendly and not try to poison the well (make a candidate look so bad with a hot button issue that everyone immediately hates them).

I think Hillary Clinton is inadmissible. Mitt Romney is a mark off. Elizabeth Warren is fine. Elizabeth Warren is great. Republicans are a good vote. Republicans will need to have a say on global warming.

We need more Democrats running. I will vote for Clinton, but I like Bernie Sanders and Andrew Cuomo better.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I certainly hope Jim Webb runs. Check out his integrity from Wikipedia!:

Military service[edit]
After graduating from the Naval Academy, Webb was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps. Attending the Marine Corps Officer Basic School shortly after leaving Annapolis, he graduated first in his class. He was promoted to first lieutenant in the second half of his tour in Vietnam. He served as a platoon commander with Delta Company, 1st Battalion 5th Marines. He was awarded the Navy Cross for heroism in Vietnam, the second highest decoration in the Navy and Marine Corps. Webb also was awarded the Silver Star, two Bronze Stars, and two Purple Hearts.[18] After returning from Vietnam he was assigned to Marine Corps Base Quantico, Virginia, as an instructor for OCS. Deep selected for Captain, he was then assigned to the Secretary of the Navy's office for the remainder of his active duty. His war wounds left him with shrapnel in his knee, kidney, and head. The injury to his knee led to a medical board that decided on medical retirement.
Awards and decorations[edit]
Known decorations and medals include:

Navy Cross Silver Star Bronze Star Purple Heart

Webb received the Navy Cross for actions on July 10, 1969. The citation read:
“ The Navy Cross is presented to James H. Webb, Jr., First Lieutenant, U.S. Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism while serving as a Platoon Commander with Company D, First Battalion, Fifth Marines, First Marine Division (Reinforced), Fleet Marine Force, in connection with combat operations against the enemy in the Republic of Vietnam. On July 10, 1969, while participating in a company-sized search and destroy operation deep in hostile territory, First Lieutenant Webb's platoon discovered a well-camouflaged bunker complex that appeared to be unoccupied. Deploying his men into defensive positions, First Lieutenant Webb was advancing to the first bunker when three enemy soldiers armed with hand grenades jumped out. Reacting instantly, he grabbed the closest man and, brandishing his .45 caliber pistol at the others, apprehended all three of the soldiers. Accompanied by one of his men, he then approached the second bunker and called for the enemy to surrender. When the hostile soldiers failed to answer him and threw a grenade that detonated dangerously close to him, First Lieutenant Webb detonated a claymore mine in the bunker aperture, accounting for two enemy casualties and disclosing the entrance to a tunnel. Despite the smoke and debris from the explosion and the possibility of enemy soldiers hiding in the tunnel, he then conducted a thorough search that yielded several items of equipment and numerous documents containing valuable intelligence data. Continuing the assault, he approached a third bunker and was preparing to fire into it when the enemy threw another grenade. Observing the grenade land dangerously close to his companion, First Lieutenant Webb simultaneously fired his weapon at the enemy, pushed the Marine away from the grenade, and shielded him from the explosion with his own body. Although sustaining painful fragmentation wounds from the explosion, he managed to throw a grenade into the aperture and completely destroy the remaining bunker. By his courage, aggressive leadership, and selfless devotion to duty, First Lieutenant Webb upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and of the United States Naval Service.[19]
In a November 19, 2006 appearance on Meet the Press, Webb told host Tim Russert, "I’m one of these people who – there aren't many of us – who can still justify for you the reasons that we went into Vietnam, however screwed up the strategy got."[20]

metis

I really like Webb, but he doesn't seem to generate much excitement with the public in general.

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
Mrs Clinton either will not be nominated or drop out before the Dem convention. Leaning toward Gov. Walker now...

metis

Walker has some rather serious baggage he's gonna have to try and explain, especially the financial situation in Wisconsin that he and his fellow Republicans have created, and also his providing a very self-serving tax break for Menards that is quite shady.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Mrs Clinton either will not be nominated or drop out before the Dem convention. Leaning toward Gov. Walker now...
Walker is my current favorite Republican. While I disagree with many of his positions, I believe he is more likely to put his plan into action than most politicians. In other words, he is honest and able.

But, at this point, I still think the election is Clinton's to lose. She is eight years older and stronger than she was when a semi-black youngster whose middle name was Hussein out manoeuvred her. I doubt that will happen again.
Tom

metis

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I don't like polls and strive to avoid looking at them as much as I can. Jim Webb isn't even running yet and a lot of people probably still don't know who he is. Don't tell me if I'm right-I don't want a poll to make my decision for me. Polls coerce people to think alike in time and on issues instead of remembering history and how they really feel.

Polls are like fouling the other team over and over to win in the last few minutes of the game.

Last edited: