• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about the 2016 US presidential race?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Who needs jails with revolving doors where repeat offenders are back on the street selling dope hours after being arrested? The American legal system does everything possible to avoid punishing people who break the law.
Even many Pubs now realize that the massive incarceration of drug users is not working and is counter-productive. If you get a chance, study what the Danes have done that's different and is now being copied in some other countries in western Europe.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
When it comes to developed nations, the U.S. is, embarrassingly, near the bottom when it comes to scientific literacy among the public:

Ranking of Countries by Belief in Evolution (Graph Source: Science, August 2006)
Evolution+Belief+by+Country.png

Climate change (Global Trends 2014 survey)
article-2702785-1FE78BC300000578-285_634x362.jpg

So yes, Americans are apparently among the least gullible according to this, which has served the nation fairly well in it's history

But science is a method, not a consensus.

I'd be fascinated to hear your scientifically literate explanation, of how 1 or 2 extra molecules CO2 in 10,000 of air, can create 'environmental disaster'

go on, give it your best shot

metis

So yes, Americans are apparently among the least gullible according to this, ...
Frankly, I don't think you're going to get a lot of support for that here since religion is based more on blind belief than on objective reality since most religious beliefs cannot be objectively confirmed in any way. For example, how many gods are there and what's your objectively-derived evidence for your answer?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Guy Threepwood, CO2 is fire. If just the size of the fire were measured and the surroundings were 50,000 times (and I'm not sure that figure is accurate), you might not feel the difference but it could definitely be slowly warming you up! The cube root of 50,000 is 36. Remember how small the actual burning part is?

Really, how small a percentage of a fire out of its surroundings can be felt? Fire can ward off wolves. Am I right or wrong?

Burl

I don't know if this has been mentioned but today I heard Trump denigrate NAFTA. I guess he plans to create jobs by taking out the competition.

metis

maybe the competition is taking jobs away from the US
Yes, but "if you don't play, you pay". The French tried to not play this global-market game decades ago but ended up giving up on their isolationistic approach because it began to hurt them financially.

Burl

In other words, if Mexico doesn't pay for the wall the American consumer will have to pay more for groceries.

metis

In other words, if Mexico doesn't pay for the wall the American consumer will have to pay more for groceries.
First of all, the wall Trump hypes is not going to be built anytime soon even if he's elected, nor is Mexico going to pay for it.

If 11 million undocumented aliens are removed, food prices will definitely go up, and probably a lot.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If 11 million undocumented aliens are removed, food prices will definitely go up, and probably a lot.
I don't think it would be much.
For one thing, the cost of labor isn't that much. How much do you think that migrant worker actually got to pick your bunch of grapes? A quarter?

Then there is the other side of the equation. Those 11 million workers and their families are also consumers. Deport them, and they won't be buying food, gas, housing, clothes and all the other stuff they do now. Downward pressure on the prices of basic goods will be yuuuge.
Wage increases and price decreases overall, it would be great for the working poor and terrible for corporate profits.
Just imagine the hit WalMart would take. :)

This is why the people who really run this country don't want immigration reform. The status quo is great for Wall Street.
Tom

metis

I don't think it would be much.
For one thing, the cost of labor isn't that much. How much do you think that migrant worker actually got to pick your bunch of grapes? A quarter?

Then there is the other side of the equation. Those 11 million workers and their families are also consumers. Deport them, and they won't be buying food, gas, housing, clothes and all the other stuff they do now. Downward pressure on the prices of basic goods will be yuuuge.
Wage increases and price decreases overall, it would be great for the working poor and terrible for corporate profits.
Just imagine the hit WalMart would take. :)

This is why the people who really run this country don't want immigration reform. The status quo is great for Wall Street.
Tom
Generally speaking, these undocumented pickers do jobs that most other Americans tend to shay away from, especially since they work for so very little as compared to other people here. In Alabama a couple of years ago, they cracked down on them in agriculture and found that much of the farm crop didn't get picked.

A true story: During the latter semester in my freshman year at college, a fellow student who lived in western Michigan asked me if I had a job for the summer and I told him I hadn't. He told me I could work on his family's cucumber/pickle farm for the summer, and I told him I'd consider it. He laughed and told me that I wouldn't last for even a day because it's backbreaking "stoop labor" that even he wouldn't do, which is why his family hired "Mexicans".

BTW, I have seen the estimate as to how much economic damage deporting 11 million would do to this country, which came out of a study as a result of Romney's "self-deportation" idea, but I don't recall the figure. I'll see if I can find it later as I'm leaving shortly.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
This morning we see in the USC Dornsife/Los Angeles Times poll Trump is up by 5 points. He took the lead of 2 points last week.

But now we have a TV cable news station officially announce he is winning, the third News broadcaster in the last two days. We also learn what the establishment oligarchs may try next to stop Trump.

Last edited:

Riders

I heard the exact opposite today, theyre saying Hillary has taken a lead in the poles on CNN,I don't believe Trump is in the lead I think Hillary is and frankly I don't think hell win. But they said she has Florida by several points and Colorady and maybe a little ahead in Pennsylvania states he needs to win to win.

Riders

Not now but even before the whole cat came out of the bag,he was behind, CNN said the poles show her ahead.