• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My understanding is probably far from the actual truth

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
OK.
I get it.
You are very uncomfortable with equating ‘spiritual’ to ‘ordinary’ human wisdom.
IMO.

The word ‘spiritual’ seems to me to be redundant.
Wisdom is about what happens in day to day life. In our relationships with other people.
Otherwise it is just fantasy.

Isn’t it ?

That’s what I was asking you.
What is it you call ‘spiritual’ wisdom that is different from what is generally called wisdom ?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'd have to break all my reflection on myself down into different aspects:

- In the last 2 years I feel I have gotten smarter, but the rate at which I am isn't fast enough, that I'm embracing the truth that in mere intelligence, I'll never recover all my brain cells from youth and pre-tragedies.

- I don't think I have the truth, just glimpses of it now and then. I could even write a page about what I've seen spiritually, and then say I only think specks of it is spiritually true, but that those specks may be relevant.

But to fact-check some of my past statements on my spiritual path, now that I know:

- 4 to 6 months ago I said I would experience a spiritual awakening. I now take the view that such progress isn't always immediate but a gradual thing. So I both did and didn't experience a spiritual awakening.

- I talked about, I believe, experiencing Shiva during prayer and meditation. I think my spiritual experience had significance, but I'm still not 100% sure what it completely meant yet.

I've also been spiritually lazy some weeks or days, admittedly. Some days, I'll get burnt out and religion may even frustrate me.
I long ago gave up on the idea of "truth".
Things always became more complicated.
But "truth" ossifies beliefs.
Thus "truth" died for me.

We have opinions & values.
When they're not "true", we can change them as needed.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I have realized that through my discussions and debates where I have my understanding of the topic in hand, isn't always as good as I hoped.... A month ago my understanding of a topic was different from how I understand it today, deeper understanding maybe, or that from debating my self I see that words I used then was not showing the truth from the teaching the way I thought it would.

Realizing this can be scary, but in the same time it is exactly as my teacher told it would be. A development in wisdom happens when studying.
What I said a month ago or half a year ago may still be true but seen from where I am today it does not hold a good enough wisdom that time :)

Have you felt this in your spiritual journey too?
the awe of compassion is the beginning of spiritual perfection.

thanks atlas

Matthew 11:29-30

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I have realized that through my discussions and debates where I have my understanding of the topic in hand, isn't always as good as I hoped.... A month ago my understanding of a topic was different from how I understand it today, deeper understanding maybe, or that from debating my self I see that words I used then was not showing the truth from the teaching the way I thought it would.

Realizing this can be scary, but in the same time it is exactly as my teacher told it would be. A development in wisdom happens when studying.
What I said a month ago or half a year ago may still be true but seen from where I am today it does not hold a good enough wisdom that time :)

My values stay the same, but my actions change depending on circumstance and we're I am in life. Those actions that become lifestyles define new values interrelated to the ones existing.

I get intellect with study but spiritual wisdom through action. We're very paper-minded in the US from the importance of signatures vs word of mouth to binding constitutions as opposed to revolving civil laws.

It's normal that we change as life goes on. What you do with your knowledge is more crucial than the knowledge itself. I.e. I know, read, and experience personal sacrifice through Christ but that wisdom of human sacrifice makes Actions contrary to the point of the theology. So, instead of being a hypocrite, I left.

Balance act. But in my observation from your threads you tend to reflect but when asked questions there are general answers. Have you gone deeper than your thoughts before?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Let me put it to you this way: I have far more questions than answers, but I've come to accept that so many of them cannot be answered because of my quite finite mind.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
All I had to do was obey the Voice of God but it wasn't an easy journey to the Truth, that's for sure
Agreed, the theory "obey the Voice of God" is simple, but practice indeed is not easy

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

"Spiritual journey" starts when "psychological development" finishes
So have you started on a "spiritual journey" then? Which would, by your reasoning here, mean that you are finished with "psychological development." Is that correct? You are no longer in any need of "psychological development" or feel that your psychology is at the point at which it can no longer develop?

IAMinyou

Agreed, the theory "obey the Voice of God" is simply, but practice indeed not easy

It may be a theory to you but after you are forced to obey all the commands from the Voice of God, you would not it's not just a theory.

stvdv

Then how could you be in a position to know what you purport to know ?
When I am enlightened (no attachments left, and no mind) then my spiritual journey starts.
I have been without mind for ca. 10 hours once, so I know, but I also know I am not yet enlightened

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
When I am enlightened (no attachments left, and no mind) then my spiritual journey starts.
I have been without mind for ca. 10 hours once, so I know, but I also know I am not yet enlightened

I don’t consider that being mindless is synonymous with being enlightened.
Gotama pointed out that ‘space-like mind’ is simply an altered state of no particular value, which caused one of the rishis to die of a heart attack !
Nirvana is not vacuity.

stvdv

I don’t consider that being mindless is synonymous with being enlightened.
Gotama pointed out that ‘space-like mind’ is simply an altered state of no particular value, which caused one of the rishis to die of a heart attack !
Nirvana is not vacuity.
I see being enlightened to be able to stay in the mindless state any time. When not able then not enlightened.
(Of course I am not talking about staying in the mindless state when driving a car, that would be unwise:D)