• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My understanding is probably far from the actual truth

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I have realized that through my discussions and debates where I have my understanding of the topic in hand, isn't always as good as I hoped.... A month ago my understanding of a topic was different from how I understand it today, deeper understanding maybe, or that from debating my self I see that words I used then was not showing the truth from the teaching the way I thought it would.

Realizing this can be scary, but in the same time it is exactly as my teacher told it would be. A development in wisdom happens when studying.
What I said a month ago or half a year ago may still be true but seen from where I am today it does not hold a good enough wisdom that time :)

Have you felt this in your spiritual journey too?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'd have to break all my reflection on myself down into different aspects:

- In the last 2 years I feel I have gotten smarter, but the rate at which I am isn't fast enough, that I'm embracing the truth that in mere intelligence, I'll never recover all my brain cells from youth and pre-tragedies.

- I don't think I have the truth, just glimpses of it now and then. I could even write a page about what I've seen spiritually, and then say I only think specks of it is spiritually true, but that those specks may be relevant.

But to fact-check some of my past statements on my spiritual path, now that I know:

- 4 to 6 months ago I said I would experience a spiritual awakening. I now take the view that such progress isn't always immediate but a gradual thing. So I both did and didn't experience a spiritual awakening.

- I talked about, I believe, experiencing Shiva during prayer and meditation. I think my spiritual experience had significance, but I'm still not 100% sure what it completely meant yet.

I've also been spiritually lazy some weeks or days, admittedly. Some days, I'll get burnt out and religion may even frustrate me.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'd have to break all my reflection on myself down into different aspects:

- In the last 2 years I feel I have gotten smarter, but the rate at which I am isn't fast enough, that I'm embracing the truth that in mere intelligence, I'll never recover all my brain cells from youth and pre-tragedies.

- I don't think I have the truth, just glimpses of it now and then. I could even write a page about what I've seen spiritually, and then say I only think specks of it is spiritually true, but that those specks may be relevant.

But to fact-check some of my past statements on my spiritual path, now that I know:

- 4 to 6 months ago I said I would experience a spiritual awakening. I now take the view that such progress isn't always immediate but a gradual thing. So I both did and didn't experience a spiritual awakening.

- I talked about, I believe, experiencing Shiva during prayer and meditation. I think my spiritual experience had significance, but I'm still not 100% sure what it completely meant yet.

I've also been spiritually lazy some weeks or days, admittedly. Some days, I'll get burnt out and religion may even frustrate me.
It seems like your spiritual experience are similar to mine :) that yes we have progress but not always the way we thought it would be.

Gargovic Malkav

My former self almost always seems ignorant compared to my current self. Another good reason for me to treat my complacency with a grain of salt.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I have realized that through my discussions and debates where I have my understanding of the topic in hand, isn't always as good as I hoped.... A month ago my understanding of a topic was different from how I understand it today, deeper understanding maybe, or that from debating my self I see that words I used then was not showing the truth from the teaching the way I thought it would.

Realizing this can be scary, but in the same time it is exactly as my teacher told it would be. A development in wisdom happens when studying.
What I said a month ago or half a year ago may still be true but seen from where I am today it does not hold a good enough wisdom that time :)

I'd suppose the final enlightenment is death. Everything prior to that is just the journey.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I wouldn't term it 'spiritual', but yes...I agree...
The day I stop learning is the day I'm 'old'...regardless of my years.

IAMinyou

All I had to do was obey the Voice of God but it wasn't an easy journey to the Truth, that's for sure.

Deuteronomy 28:
1: And if you obey the voice of the LORD your God, being careful to do all his commandments which I command you this day, the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations of the earth.
2: And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, if you obey the voice of the LORD your God.

Deuteronomy 28
15: “But if you will not obey the voice of the Lord your God or be careful to do all his commandments which I command you this day, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you.
16: Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the field.
17: Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading-trough.
18: cursed shall be the fruit of your body, and the fruit of your ground, the increase of your cattle, and the young of your flock.
19: Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
20: “the Lord will send upon you curses, confusion, and frustration, in all that you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and perish quickly, on account of the evil of your doings, because you have forsaken me.
21: The Lord will make the pestilence cleave to you until he has consumed you off the land which you are entering to take possession of it.
22: The Lord will smite you with consumption, and with fever, inflammation, and fiery heat, and with drought, and with blasting, and with mildew; they shall pursue you until you perish.
23: And the heavens over your head shall be brass, and the earth under you shall be iron.
24: The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down upon you until you are destroyed.

Deuteronomy 28 61: Every sickness also, and every affliction which is not recorded in the book of this law, the LORD will bring upon you, until you are destroyed.
62: Whereas you were as the stars of heaven for multitude, you shall be left few in number; because you did not obey the voice of the LORD your God.
63: And as the LORD took delight in doing you good and multiplying you, so the LORD will take delight in bringing ruin upon you and destroying you; and you shall be plucked off the land which you are entering to take possession of it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Possibly.
What is the difference between ‘spiritual journey’ and ‘psychological development’ ?
I am not sure what it means with psychological development :)
Spiritual journey or development is when one cultivate our mind and body accordingly to a spiritual teaching. And wisdom arise from within us.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I am not sure what it means with psychological development :)
Spiritual journey or development is when one cultivate our mind and body accordingly to a spiritual teaching. And wisdom arise from within us.

But in what way is that different from psychological development ?

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I think psychological development only count for this human life, not for spiritual understanding

Isn’t that avoiding the point ?

I am asking you to define the difference, if there is one, between spiritual understanding and psychological development.