• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kemetic Q&A- Ask any respectful question

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well the ritual is basically done like it was for the ancients, except that the common man didn't recieve such a name back then. They did recieve root names though, based on whatever month they were born in. The rite is performed by the Nisut, which is exactly how it was done in the ancient world. Recieving a name related to your god was an honor conferred by the Nisut/Pharoah. The Nisuts all had one. Our Nisut also gives us our name and reveals our parent. This is priviledge not everyone recieved in ancient times.
OK, but what does the ritual look like? Is it a kind of vision quest? How do you know who you're bound to?

If it's a Mystery, say so and I'll back off. :)

As for do I honor any others on my pantheon, yes- Djehuty (Thoth), Set, Wepwawet-Yinepu (Anubis), Aset (Isis), Wesir (Osiris), Hethert (Hathor), and Khonsu.
Well, I assume you honor all of them! ;)

Nit-picking aside, what drew you to these in particular? Importance in the divine heirarchy, or something more personal?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
OK, but what does the ritual look like? Is it a kind of vision quest? How do you know who you're bound to?

If it's a Mystery, say so and I'll back off. :)

Well it's not something I can go into much, because it's a very personal ritual between you and your parent/beloved.

Well, I assume you honor all of them! ;)

Nit-picking aside, what drew you to these in particular? Importance in the divine heirarchy, or something more personal?

These are just the ones I'm closest to and have somewhat of a relationship with.

Antibush5

My question is. What is the Orthodox Kemetic justification for "the one god of Egypt"? (can't remember the word used) I thought that the ancient Egyptians were purely polytheists.

Rainbow Mage

My question is. What is the Orthodox Kemetic justification for "the one god of Egypt"? (can't remember the word used) I thought that the ancient Egyptians were purely polytheists.

The way the one God is viewed is more like how Hindus view Brahman. That being said, I stated that it cannot be absolutely proven the ancient Egyptians were Monoaltrous, but that a good case can be made they are. I will repeat what I said earlier in the thread. The ancients often syncretized certain deities together- "Amun-Ra, Sobek-Ra, Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Sekhmet-Hethert, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Sekhmet-Mut, Bast-Mut, etc." Basically these syncretized deities were viewed as both the deities in one form. Now if there wasn't some idea among that ancients that all these deities were actually of one essence, how could they have syncretized them and worshipped them under these syncretized forms?

Rainbow Mage

So when I say "one god" of Egypt I mean like "one god" in the Hindu sense, one Lord, not the Judeo-Christian sense.

Rainbow Mage

Well where did that idea come from? Werent the Egyptians hard polythiests?

It hasn't been shown that they were hard polytheists with any certainty. They have found temples that would suggest otherwise. At the temple of Mut in Karnak they found statues of what appeared to be Sekhmet and Bast, except the inscriptions said: Sekhmet joined with Mut, or- Bast joined with Mut, showing they believed these deities were all of one essence and combustable with one another, similar to the Christian Trinity.

Rainbow Mage

Is there a branch of Kemetism that worships Aton, the sun god?

Interesting you should bring up Aten. Aten actually wasn't worshipped in a Monotheistic way prior to Akhenaten. Aten was worshipped as a form of Ra, expressing himself as the sun disk. Unfortunately, because the Egyptian Priests feared another king may ressurect the cult of Aten in the future and make their cults invalid, much of the details of Aten's attributes and worship prior to Akhenaten was destroyed, so that what Akhenaten did might never be repeated. We can only speculate much about Aten, unfortunately.

Rainbow Mage

I will add in addition in response to anti-bush's above question. To return to that briefly. Ancient Egyptian belief is just now starting to be well understood by Egyptologists. There has been Egyptology since the Victorian era, but Victorian Egyptologists made many of the mistakes interpreting the ancient Egyptian beliefs as they did Hindu beliefs. Victorian scholars called Hindus "hard polytheists", and that wasn't true.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I must add, that just because something may have been right for the Ancient Egyptians years ago does not mean it is right for everyone today. I may feel this more because my faith combines one of the oldest religions with one that is less than 100 years old. No matter what one's path is, you need to step back now and then, try to look at yourself, and ask yourself if what you are doing makes sense.

Rainbow Mage

I agree with that enchanted, depending what context you mean it in. I don't think one should try to "entirely" re-invent the whole belief system from start to finish though.

Antibush5

So what is your pheroh's claim to the title? How can others claim to be pherohs and how do you know which one is right?
Could I be a pheroh? :p

Rainbow Mage

Well Anti-Bush it's a lot more complicated then that for us Kemetic Orthodox. Someone doesn't choose the kingly ka, it's born with them, like another ka dwelling in their body with their own. There are many figures in history we Kemetic Orthodox believe may have been meant to be the Pharoah, but because they weren't ready for the task, or because they knew nothing of the Egyptians in their culture, they couldn't respond to the kingly ka's call. Some Kemetic Orthodox have speculated it's possible the Prophet Muhammad may have carried the kingly ka, but being from Arabia and knowing little of the Egyptians, he wouldn't have been able to respond properly to it's stirrings, but it still did give him a connection with the divine. The same for Jesus maybe. The same for possibly Alistair Crowley, who started Thelema using Egyptian elements and claimed to have interaction with the Egyptian gods. The kingly ka is something born in a person. That being said, it started with Rev. Tamara Siuda about 20 years ago when she was still Wiccan. She had Sekhmet come into her life, calling her out of Wicca, to start a Kemetic based faith. The calling to be Nisut came later. She originally told Sekhmet no, when offered the position of Nisut, but then things started to happen in her life. I won't go into details. That is her business. Basically the gods wrecked her life until she agreed to it. She underwent the coronation in Egypt, where the house members at the time who were present claimed that a sort of presence descended on her, and tookover her person. This is what we call Saq, when a god possesses the Nisut or a Priest. Since then we have had several miracles during Saq sessions, including when Yinepu (Anubis) made her eat peppers, and she is highly allergic to peppers, it's on her medical record. The peppers did not harm her. We usually term these "Kemetic miracles". Any other questions?