• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kemetic Q&A- Ask any respectful question

xkatz

Senedjem,

You said previously that Kemetics believe that God is "monaltry". What is "monaltry"?

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Is there any other questions from anyone? Questions about holy days, deities, etc.?
I have a question for you, since our Kemetic paths do differ. I consider the eight Sabbats that are observed by many Pagans to be most of my religious holidays. As a follower of the Kemetic Orthodox faith, what holidays do you observe?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Hi
Are female Goddess seen as lower than the males?
Is there existing scriptures?

1) Are female goddesses seen as lower then the males.

Answer: Not really. The gods and goddesses all eminate from and form part of one divine wellspring, called Netjer. This divine collective is seen as being both male and female.

2) Is there existing scriptures?

There is the pyramid and coffin texts, the contendings of Horus and Set, and such things like that, but we personally in Kemetic Orthodoxy do not treat these as scriptures. We treat them as wisdom literature and myths through which lessons and higher spiritual truths are conveyed. There is no evidence the ancient Egyptians had such a concept as "scriptures". Their relationship with the gods and goddesses were built on the state rite, personal gnosis, and relationship.

Rainbow Mage

Is there a concept of hell in Kemeticism?

In the ancient world no such concept appears among the Egyptians. They believed the wicked would be destroyed forever. Some modern Kemetics might believe in a sort of hell as a place of punishment, but not everlasting torment.

Rainbow Mage

Senedjem,

You said previously that Kemetics believe that God is "monaltry". What is "monaltry"?

Monoaltry is a soft form of Monotheism akin to what Hindus believe, that the deities one worships are part of one divine whole or eminate from one divine collective. Only Kemetic Orthodox suscribe to this view, but we believe there is good evidence the ancients did as well. One evidence is the syncretization of some of the gods. Example: Amun-Ra, Ptah-Sokar, Wepwawet-Yinepu, etc. This shows they had an idea that these differing entities might be joined with one another on some higher level. The closest to our KO view of God is that of Hindus and Brahman.

Rainbow Mage

I have a question for you, since our Kemetic paths do differ. I consider the eight Sabbats that are observed by many Pagans to be most of my religious holidays. As a follower of the Kemetic Orthodox faith, what holidays do you observe?

All the traditional ancient ones: Beautiful Valley, Aset Luminous, Wep Ronpet, Feast of the Beautiful Reunion, Return of the Wandering Goddess, which we in KO have affectionately coined "Moomas", because it takes place in December.

Rainbow Mage

Thanks. What is the goal, or the purpose of your spiritual path?

To follow the way of Ma'at in this life, meaning: to live in harmony with all living beings. To not cause harm or suffering to another. To not defraud people, offend people, lie, cheat, steal, or murder. To not dishonor the gods or their images, and to attain the land of the gods when we die, akin to Hinduism.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Are female Goddess seen as lower than the males?
Not at all. Gods and Goddesses are equal, and necessary for each other to co-exist. Without Ying there is no Yang. Without North there is no South. Without Goddess there is no God.
Is there existing scriptures?
As Senedjem said, The Pyramid and Coffin Texts are major texts. There are also texts that are said to have been written by some of the Gods and Goddesses. Just today, my copy of The Emerald Tablets arrived today. It is said to have been translated from tablets that Thoth had written upon approximately 38,000 years ago. The sources of our texts are too numerous to list here. When dealing with an Ancient religion you will often find that works of art contain sacred texts. Art can take so many forms that is has (and surely will continue) to pop up all over the place.
Is there a concept of hell in Kemeticism?
To me Hell is a concept, but not a physical place. My idea of Hell would be to not be with Anubis in my afterlife.
What is the goal, or the purpose of your spiritual path?
To learn how to best serve my Gods and Goddesses in my afterlife.

Onkara

Thanks Enchanted and Senedjem.

The moral purpose sounds logical and good, to live well with others and to be close to Ma'at or your choosen divinity.

Is it really a matter of waiting for the afterlife, isn't there something here on this plane of existence for you both?

Rainbow Mage

Thanks Enchanted and Senedjem.

The moral purpose sounds logical and good, to live well with others and to be close to Ma'at or your choosen divinity.

Is it really a matter of waiting for the afterlife, isn't there something here on this plane of existence for you both?

Similar to Hinduism Onkarah. To draw close to whichever deity you're devoted to. To exist in peace with others and have a good life. To learn spiritual discipline and to bring Ma'at to the world, and do our part to dispel Isfet. Just so you know, Ma'at is not just a goddess. When I use it in this sense, Ma'at means justice, truth, and what is right. Isfet means chaos and disorder.

Rainbow Mage

Really and truly in many ways Kemetic belief is not unlike Taoism or the Sanatan Dharma, and in other ways, it's more like what the ancient Greeks, Celtics, Canaanites, and such had.

Onkara

Well that is the impression I had, I was trying not to load my questions with my own background in Dharmic philosophy, haha :) So here are few more please:

- How can you be sure that your path isn't just a blend of what feels good from other religions? And does it matter if it is a mix of Celtics and Sanatan Dharma, for example?
This is partly why I asked about scriptures, as how can the path be clear if they no longer exist, one is basically re-constructing a religion as one goes along. Which is fine, but is that acknowledged or is this a misconception of an outsider looking in for the first time?

- Is it non-dual, monist?

Rainbow Mage

Well that is the impression I had, I was trying not to load my questions with my own background in Dharmic philosophy, haha :) So here are few more please:

- How can you be sure that your path isn't just a blend of what feels good from other religions? And does it matter if it is a mix of Celtics and Sanatan Dharma, for example?
This is partly why I asked about scriptures, as how can the path be clear if they no longer exist, one is basically re-constructing a religion as one goes along. Which is fine, but is that acknowledged or is this a misconception of an outsider looking in for the first time?

- Is it non-dual, monist?

How can you be sure that your path isn't just a blend of what feels good from other religions? And does it matter if it is a mix of Celtics and Sanatan Dharma, for example?

Well I haven't spoken of this yet, but most of Kemetic Orthodoxy's beliefs don't come from other religions, but from the ancient texts themselves. In KO we have a spiritual leader (Nisut), whom we believe to possess the kingly ka just like the ancient Nisuts (pharoahs) of Egypt did. She is also a masters degree in Egyptology and Coptic Studies. Her name is Egyptologist Rev. Tamara L. Siuda. She is well qualified to translate the ancient texts and heiroglyphs. She is very respected in her field, and has even appeared on the History Channel with other prominent Egyptologists. I don't think Kemetic beliefs are Celtic and Sanatan Dharma mixed. I admit it's possible they may have influenced one another in the ancient world, but even though we are reconstruct, we try to remain close to the ancient practice. Some small amount of influence from outside religions, if any, came into our religion through converts from Christianity and Judaism, since that is where the majority of our converts come from.

Rainbow Mage

Texts and heiroglyphic wall paintings exist detailing the details of ancient Kemetic belief quite well, KO just doesn't treat them as scriptures, because there's no proof the ancients treated them that way. KO is built on the same thing the ancient religion was- State rite, personal gnosis, and a relationship with our gods and goddesses. Archeology has shown that in addition to the state rite, a more personal rite of practice did exist in the home on an individual level. Every house had a shrine. Reconstruct comes in when it's really hard to determine exactly what the ancients believed in a particular area, but just like the ancients, we base our belief on relationship with the gods and goddesses, and trust they will guide us to truth.

As for is it non-dual Monism? That might be more my personal opinion. KO officially claims to be Monoaltry, not Monism, but some in the faith may have a personal view of Monism.

Onkara

Thanks for the answers. I am going to come across slightly blunt, but I think the question is useful:

If Kemetic is a solid and self-founded religion i.e. the scriptures and teachings are in place and a follower can get what it needs from it, why make comparisons, why compare it with any other religion?

I don't mean, what is the benefit of comparing it, but rather why not stop comparing religions and run with it? I don't mean just you as a person either, I mean for the Kemetic way itself, why not run with it.

Rainbow Mage

Well I figured it would be useful to use comparisons to religions others might be more familiar with, since not many people are familiar with Kemetic concepts and terminology.

Rainbow Mage

When answering questions about it I mean, and btw, Egyptologists themselves have said the closest religion to Kemetic belief is Hinduism, so that's not an unfair comparison.