• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kemetic Q&A- Ask any respectful question

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I invite anyone with any questions about the Kemetic faith of the Egyptians to ask, and I will try to the best of my ability to answer, or perhaps other Kemetics like EO can answer.

Rainbow Mage

I am Kemetic because the gods of Egypt drew me to be, especially Horus, whom in Kemetic is called Heru-sa-Aset (Heru son of Aset/Isis). Heru-sa-Aset started showing himself to me in dreams and speaking to me in my mind when I was still a Buddhist. I learned about the House of Netjer online, and I asked the gods and goddesses to show themselves to me if they were real. Heru-sa-Aset did, and this was quickly followed by Djehuty (Thoth) and Set. I hope I've answered your question to satisfaction :)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I am Kemetic because the gods of Egypt drew me to be, especially Horus, whom in Kemetic is called Heru-sa-Aset (Heru son of Aset/Isis). Heru-sa-Aset started showing himself to me in dreams and speaking to me in my mind when I was still a Buddhist. I learned about the House of Netjer online, and I asked the gods and goddesses to show themselves to me if they were real. Heru-sa-Aset did, and this was quickly followed by Djehuty (Thoth) and Set. I hope I've answered your question to satisfaction :)
Yes.

Now, (since you're so fond of asking others) what's your opinion of other Gods/ religions, generally speaking?

Rainbow Mage

Yes.

Now, (since you're so fond of asking others) what's your opinion of other Gods/ religions, generally speaking?

Well I know factually that other gods exist, because I've also had experiences with them. I've had experiences with the Abrahamic god when I was growing up Christian, and I won't deny those experiences. I've had a few minor experiences with Hera, Poseidon, and Hades, and also with Lord Ganesha in Buddhism. I view other gods as just as valid as my own, although I do not understand how they relate to one another. It seems there are as many gods as sands on a beach. As for other religions, I agree with Kemetic Orthodoxy's view, which is that all religions can lead one to the afterlife, because the way of Ma'at is in all living things, and also seeped into other religions on some level, hence those religions contain what is needed to obtain the afterlife, if one follows their religions wholeheartedly, and we also strive to follow Kemetic Orthodoxy wholeheartedly.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Any Kemetic is free (and encouraged!) to answer.

Why are you Kemetic?

I believe that several Gods and Goddesses from Ancient Egypt have chosen me. In the process of getting to know Them, I have learned to love Them.

...what's your opinion of other Gods/ religions, generally speaking?

I believe that there may be Gods and Goddesses outside of my religion. However, I have no business to conduct with them. I belong to the Kemetic Gods and Goddesses now, and I have no intention of changing that ever. I do believe that many religions are ridiculous. Some of the beliefs, including those of my former religion, are just unbelievable when one steps back and takes an unbiased look at what it is that they are trying to convince you of. Still, the basis of almost any religion can be healthy, as almost all of them are built on a foundation of good morals. They tend to go off in different directions after that though.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
What, exactly, is Kemeticism?

Like, what does it involved, what practices do you have on a daily basis. What ideas or positions does it have (for instance do you believe in an afterlife, how do you see mankind, does it say anything specifically about how the world operates, etc etc etc)?

Rainbow Mage

Like, what does it involved, what practices do you have on a daily basis. What ideas or positions does it have (for instance do you believe in an afterlife, how do you see mankind, does it say anything specifically about how the world operates, etc etc etc)?

I'd be glad to answer your questions Knight.

1)

Kemeticism is the faith of the people of Egypt prior to Christianity and Islam taking over Egypt. It also refers to both a modern movement of reconstructing these ancient practices, and some old Kemetic practices that still exist in Egypt today. One such group reconstructing the faith is my own faith called Kemetic Orthodoxy. An example of Kemetic practices still kept in Egypt today by Copts and Muslims is pouring incense into the Nile River when there's a drought.

2)
Like, what does it involved, what practices do you have on a daily basis.

It involves for us Kemetic Orthodox, worshipping Netjer (the one God of Egypt), in it's many names and forms called Netjeru (gods and goddesses). One of the ways we do this is through the rite of Senut and making food and drink offerings to the names.

3)
(for instance do you believe in an afterlife, how do you see mankind, does it say anything specifically about how the world operates, etc etc etc)?

We believe that there is an afterlife called the Duat, the land of the blessed dead and world of the gods. This spirit world is actually also around us now, but we can't percieve it with our physical eyes. This is why we strive for it now, so that when we die we may be able to see it and have part in it. There is no official stance on what happens to those who do not strive in Kemetic Orthodoxy, some accept reincarnation, or an appointed time of punishment in some sort of hell, but the ancients were clear they believed the wicked would be destroyed forever, having their ka (soul) fed to the monster Ammit. As for how the world operates. We believe it was created to function on the precepts and way of Ma'at. Ma'at is both a goddess and a concept that means justice, truth, and what is right. The closest non-Kemetic concept to Ma'at is the Tao. When people deviate from the way of Ma'at, it creates isfet (chaos, disorder, evil). It is because humanity has deviated on a large scale today that the world is in such suffering.

Hope this helps :)

Rainbow Mage

Just as a side note knight- It is because Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all have a similar view of the world, that it was created on laws that all living beings were to follow, we consider the Abrahamic religions to be part of the Kemetic heritage, at least in KO we do. We believe that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam were all influenced by us, and we have a great deal of respect for the three.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Since Senedjem and I practice different forms of Kemeticism, I figured I should toss in my answers as well. Keep in mind that my personal path is syncretic, in that I combine Kemeticism and Wicca.

Faith revolving around the Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt.

Like, what does it involved, what practices do you have on a daily basis.
Personally, I pray at least once daily. This usually takes place before bed. The prayer resembles that of what many Christians would do, as in I get on my knees and speak to Deities. Sometimes I speak to one of Them. Sometimes I speak to more than one. I give thanks for the things in my life. At times I may ask for help.

Along with "common prayer," I also perform rituals at times. A ritual can best be described as an elaborate prayer. It involves concentration, meditation, sacrifice, and relaxation. Sometimes the ritual is also used to perform works of magick. Whether it does or does not, it always revolves around worship.

What ideas or positions does it have (for instance do you believe in an afterlife, how do you see mankind, does it say anything specifically about how the world operates, etc etc etc)?
As Senedjem stated, we believe in an afterlife called Duat. You can compare this to the "paradise" that is promised in the end of so many other faiths. Those attempting to enter Duat will be judged. In ancient writings, Anubis is shown weighing a human heart against a feather. It is somewhat of a metaphor, as the flesh of a heart will always weigh more than a feather. What is being said is that the sin in your heart must be less than the weight of the feather for you to proceed.

On a side note, I do believe that reincarnation can play a role as well. I don't want to drift the thread off topic though. You will find that reincarnation theories will vary among different Kemetics, Wiccans, and Kemetic Wiccans.

Rainbow Mage

Is there any other questions from anyone? Questions about holy days, deities, etc.?