• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Question for Atheists

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
do you believe in reality?

are you sure?

There is no need to believe in reality, it is supported by all of the evidence that we have. There is no way to know for absolute certain but we certainly have enough reason to think that it's there.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
There is no need to believe in reality, it is supported by all of the evidence that we have. There is no way to know for absolute certain but we certainly have enough reason to think that it's there.
If this is the foundation of your spirit.......
ooops

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
so....you absolutely no belief beyond what you see in the mirror?

I have absolutely no belief beyond what can be objectively, logically and rationally demonstrated to be true. Mirrors have nothing to do with it.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I have absolutely no belief beyond what can be objectively, logically and rationally demonstrated to be true. Mirrors have nothing to do with it.
yes they do.
You believe only what you see.
hence the requirement.....demonstrate.....

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
yes they do.
You believe only what you see.
hence the requirement.....demonstrate.....

And you say that like it's a bad thing. It's certainly better than just making up emotionally comforting nonsense because you wish it was true.

I've got one question for you.
Would you be as adamant about doubting and systematically disproving faith if Christianity wasn't the supposed dominant religion in America? Or is Christianity special?

A great question! I personally would, yes, and here is why. The reason I am an atheist is simply that I have many problems with the concept of god; namely that it lacks a shred of, if any, hard evidence to support it. My issue isn't with the teachings of Christianity (although I definitely have an issue with the bigoted and twisted way in which the christian church manipulates its supporters and the general public through these teachings) , it is with the spreading of the idea that there exists a being or beings who, through some mystical and unknown source of greater power and knowledge, created and now control the universe. I think that it's frankly a very sad and depressing thing that our society has somehow come to value the concept of faith, which is essentially a celebration of one's ability to ignore evidence and facts and stick to their opinion even when it has no support. Teaching people that it is a good thing to believe in something without evidence will lead this world wrong.

Kirran

Premium Member
A great question! I personally would, yes, and here is why. The reason I am an atheist is simply that I have many problems with the concept of god; namely that it lacks a shred of, if any, hard evidence to support it. My issue isn't with the teachings of Christianity (although I definitely have an issue with the bigoted and twisted way in which the christian church manipulates its supporters and the general public through these teachings) , it is with the spreading of the idea that there exists a being or beings who, through some mystical and unknown source of greater power and knowledge, created and now control the universe. I think that it's frankly a very sad and depressing thing that our society has somehow come to value the concept of faith, which is essentially a celebration of one's ability to ignore evidence and facts and stick to their opinion even when it has no support. Teaching people that it is a good thing to believe in something without evidence will lead this world wrong.

Welcome to RF!

In regards to your points: 1) Not all religions are theistic
2) By no means are all theists believers in anything like the monotheistic Abrahamic God
3) Christianity is very variable, there is no 'Christian Church'

Welcome to RF!

In regards to your points: 1) Not all religions are theistic
2) By no means are all theists believers in anything like the monotheistic Abrahamic God
Thank you for that correction :) You are correct, not all religions are theistic, however in my interpretation of the question it was implied that theistic religions were being discussed, since the point of the thread was to challenge atheists and the matter of faith. So I suppose to be more clear; I would challenge and oppose any theistic religion that sought to spread the idea of a god or deity or supreme being. In regards to your point about the christian church, again, thank you for that correction. I simply use the general term christian church to describe the collection of religious bodies that all profess to serve and spread the teachings of Jesus Christ. I know this is a bit of a generalization, but I feel comfortable with it in this context, as all christian churches profess the divinity of Jesus Christ (the point of Christianity), and so hold very similar if not identical positions of belief on the truth of Jesus and of the New Testament. :)

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
1) Not all religions are theistic

Any religion that has no god-concept isn't a religion, it's a philosophy.

Indeed that is true. It doesn't mean that their beliefs are any more rational than the monotheistic Abrahamic God though.

True, there are more than 44,000 distinct sects of Christianity out there, a good percentage of which think they're the only one that is correct.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
And you say that like it's a bad thing. It's certainly better than just making up emotionally comforting nonsense because you wish it was true.
It is written....
Blessed are they who believe but have not seen.

The reason for that.....
some people can reason.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

The flip side is to believe that ALL of substance is 'self' starting.
Science does not believe that.

substance will remain at rest until...something...moves it.

I lean to the notion....Spirit first.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The flip side is to believe that ALL of substance is 'self' starting.
Science does not believe that.
Nail, meet head.

PS: While Thief may have meant it in a spiritual or religious fashion, I meant it in a philosophical, metaphorically nihilist fashion, but I think the same essence is captured.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
It is written....
Blessed are they who believe but have not seen.

The reason for that.....
some people can reason.

I would reject that as absurd. Delusional are those who believe but have no rational reason.