• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Question for Atheists

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
I've got one question for you.
Would you be as adamant about doubting and systematically disproving faith if Christianity wasn't the supposed dominant religion in America? Or is Christianity special?

I'm adamant about being skeptical regardless of the religion and it isn't limited to religion, I'm just as skeptical of all irrational claims.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
My previous post #107 say that the Cause and effect argument which is an element in your post #76, is not credible as it can equally be apply to any religion.

I understand that what i say may not be the point you want to convey in your post, it's okay if you're uninterested to discuss about that.
cause and effect s a form of logic.
I have no religion

Marisa

YES!.....and I think had to point that out to someone else.

back to topic?
Oh you mean you're giving my your permission to post again? Thank you so much. Of course, if you'd been paying attention to the thread you'd know I already have. If you'd like to ask me any questions about my post, do feel free to word said question in such a manner as to be understood by ignorami such as myself. ;)

Pudding

cause and effect s a form of logic.
I have no religion
As you say you've no religion, then the word "religion" can also be replace by "gods" ; and word "argument" can also be replace by "a form of logic", it's not mutually exclusive.

My post #117 after rephrase:
--------------------------------------
My previous post #107 say that the Cause and effect (a form of logic) which is an element in your post #76, is not credible as it can equally be apply to any gods.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
As you say you've no religion, then the word "religion" can also be replace by "gods" ; and word "argument" can also be replace by "a form of logic", it's not mutually exclusive.

My post #117 after rephrase:
My previous post #107 say that the Cause and effect (a form of logic) which is an element in your post #76, is not credible as it can equally be apply to any gods.

Nay...religion does not mean you believe in God.
My Inspiration complained during His ministry....
about people that nod their heads when they hear good things....
and then go about afterward as if they heard nothing.

and if you cannot reason one notion to another as you think about God.
your faith will be shallow....or none existent.

Pudding

Nay...religion does not mean you believe in God.
My Inspiration complained during His ministry....
about people that nod their heads when they hear good things....
and then go about afterward as if they heard nothing.

and if you cannot reason one notion to another as you think about God.
your faith will be shallow....or none existent.
What do you mean? How does your response relevant/answer to my post?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I've got one question for you.
Would you be as adamant about doubting and systematically disproving faith if Christianity wasn't the supposed dominant religion in America? Or is Christianity special?

I equally doubt all claims which are not evidenced to a reasonable level.

jonathan180iq

I find that hard to believe....

You can believe what you like, that doesn't change reality.

It was a joke. On account of you suggesting you were skeptical of things, to which I said 'I find that hard to believe...' A play on words, if you will.

InternetFight.gif

leibowde84

Veteran Member
all of science depends on the association.
If the experiment fails to make the association stick......it failed as an experiment.

so if you take away the relationship of cause and effect....
you can't be sure of anything.
You can't prove anything.
Nothing can be sure....no matter how many times you repeat the action.

I've heard a definition for insanity.....
repeating an action and hoping for a different result.

Science would have you believe the entire universe once held one location.
the singularity.
The numbers used indicate a condition 'outside' what we call natural.

I say....Spirit first.

there was a Cause for it.
I think he was pointing out the obvious flaw in your reasoning. If you are going to claim that everything that exists must have a cause, and the cause of the universe is God, you must also provide your "cause" for God's "existence". Without this, your argument of "cause and effect" falls apart on its own.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I think he was pointing out the obvious flaw in your reasoning. If you are going to claim that everything that exists must have a cause, and the cause of the universe is God, you must also provide your "cause" for God's "existence". Without this, your argument of "cause and effect" falls apart on its own.

God's special god powers make him immune to consistency and continuity of logic.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
God's special god powers make him immune to consistency and continuity of logic.
Apparently so. It is just so sad that certain theists refuse to acknowledge the obvious flaws in their own logic. Instead of refuting a claim such as this with a reasoned argument, they usually fall back on pathetic word games, generalities, and insults.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Apparently so. It is just so sad that certain theists refuse to acknowledge the obvious flaws in their own logic. Instead of refuting a claim such as this with a reasoned argument, they usually fall back on pathetic word games, generalities, and insults.

To be fair, most people do when backed into a corner. However, some people get a lot more practice at be backed into a corner than others.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The hall of mirrors trick has an end.
At the 'end of the hall' is the beginning.
Then you have to decide....substance first ...or Spirit.

I say Spirit first.

dead things do not beget themselves.