• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Question for Atheists

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I've got one question for you.
Would you be as adamant about doubting and systematically disproving faith if Christianity wasn't the supposed dominant religion in America? Or is Christianity special?
I don't think there is too much of such an insistence, but sure, Christianity and a very few other religions are remarkably in need of being challenged about their theistic beliefs.

Were Paganism, Hinduism, Shinto or even Judaism more demographically influential instead of Christianity or Islam or the Bahai Faith, there would be a lot less talk about theism and atheism.

Unification

Would you be as adamant about doubting and systematically disproving faith if Christianity wasn't the supposed dominant religion in America? Or is Christianity special?

I'd say that many atheists are more Christ-like than outward religion.

Many seek a heaven on earth by equality and humanity, and truth, and advancement whereas Christianity is expectation based and believe all sorts of vain, deceptive things. . As well as a physical deity returning to do everything for them.

They use their woman(mind) as a helpmate given to them rationally and in knowledge.

One thing they don't do is, define "God" in their own mental image because there is no "God" to define and "God" couldn't be defined anyhow as anything physical. This likely would be more favorable by "God" if there is a religion-defined "God."

Another is idolatry. They don't perform idolatry, making anything physical or material in any kind of image or object of "God," including any kind of literal guy. This also likely would be more favorable.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
I don't think there is too much of such an insistence, but sure, Christianity and a very few other religions are remarkably in need of being challenged about their theistic beliefs.

Were Paganism, Hinduism, Shinto or even Judaism more demographically influential instead of Christianity or Islam or the Bahai Faith, there would be a lot less talk about theism and atheism.
I believe I've seen this before but, is Buddhism existentialist?
Doubting the people?
I don't understand what it is I would doubt about them.
I meant doubting the religions like paganism.

RedDragon94

I'd say that many atheists are more Christ-like than outward religion.

Many seek a heaven on earth by equality and humanity, and truth, and advancement whereas Christianity is expectation based and believe all sorts of vain, deceptive things. . As well as a physical deity returning to do everything for them.

They use their woman(mind) as a helpmate given to them rationally and in knowledge.

One thing they don't do is, define "God" in their own mental image because there is no "God" to define and "God" couldn't be defined anyhow as anything physical. This likely would be more favorable by "God" if there is a religion-defined "God."

Another is idolatry. They don't perform idolatry, making anything physical or material in any kind of image or object of "God," including any kind of literal guy. This also likely would be more favorable.
Idolatry would be more favorable?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Logically, belief and disbelief have nothing to do with the majority vs minority religion. Belief is not chosen. Practices are.

I dont have quarms with christianity. I do find the belief system off in regards to no one knows what the real teaching of Jesus is only hearsay and personal experiences explanations.

Plus, I havent been exposed to God as a relationship with Him. He always existed as an abstract concept that under the label, many many religions have definitions for.

I dont need proof or anything like that. The belief never was a part of my mindset. It was something I learned personally three years ago and backed out when I found out the beliefs are no where near my own.

I cant speak for all. I notice atheist have revelations that they are not God believers. Others have never believed all their lives.

I always wondered about questions like this. Are you wondering "how" a person can Not believe in God?

RedDragon94

Are you wondering "how" a person can Not believe in God?
I'm wondering about the unknown. I'm wondering what would happen if say... Paganism was the dominant religion in America. Would atheism be as great in number? Would they be more accepting of that or would they be as hardcore as they are toward Christianity?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm wondering about the unknown. I'm wondering what would happen if say... Paganism was the dominant religion in America. Would atheism be as great in number? Would they be more accepting of that or would they be as hardcore as they are toward Christianity?

Aahh. Since everyone is redining defintions, some people equate their athiesm with lack of belief in abrahamic gods but a leave way just in case another God moves through.

If what I said is true, Id say yes to your question. That is, if atheism is only tied to christianity...which to people it seems to be.

Paganism, traditionally, is a folk practices around the world that could be polytheistic, monotheistic, etc. Not all are nature oriented. That said, a person who lacks belief in Any deity (an atheist) would not believe in paganism and other faiths where deities are more than concepts but entities.

Also,nit depends on theist defintions to. Atheist isnt a root word so whatever the theist believes (maybeba racoon flying) someone can disbelieve it, theyd be an atheist.

Not necesarrily christianity though it sure does seem that way.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
True but it's not very open minded. :p
Oh, I think that it may easily be very open minded. Edited to add: Ever heard of Dharma Combats?

But hardly so when theistic proselitism is part of the motivation.

Atheistic challenges to beliefs have an almost unfair advantage here when contrasted to their theistic counterparts. We basically have existence entire backing us.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Probably yes. Christianity is a special breed.

gsa

True but it's not very open minded. :p

Why should atheists be open minded about Christianity? Particularly given Christianity's social and political challenges to secularism?

I mean, atheists are fairly critical of New Age movements as well. I assume in India there's a fair amount of criticism of traditional Hinduism. But really, there's a reason that atheists spend quite a bit of time criticizing Islam and Christianity. You'll note that they largely ignore Judaism.

RedDragon94

What do you understand by existentialism? Give me some parameters.
A belief system that is driven by experience instead of what I will call impersonal beliefs. (By impersonal beliefs I mean beliefs based off of something read or heard.) A belief system that values the sort of naturalness of life. I haven't read or heard enough Kierkegaard yet to tell you.

gsa

No. If I lived in an Islamic society, I would probably be spending most of my time "doubting and systematically disproving" Islam. In India, might very well be Hinduism. Etc. In the US, the dominant religion is Christianity and the dominant threat to secularism is from Christian evangelicals and fundamentalists. That makes Christianity special in some limited way, I suppose.