• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Question for Atheists

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I've got one question for you.
Would you be as adamant about doubting and systematically disproving faith if Christianity wasn't the supposed dominant religion in America? Or is Christianity special?

Speaking for myself, I'm adamant about any religious organization that seeks to reduce human rights, or to influence other domains like science and education.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I must disagree.
Belief IS a matter of choice.
The practice and dogma are greatly varied.

Usually, I find many atheist who disbelieve didnt do so out of choice (you can run away from religion all they want) but out of revelation that their indoctrinated religion taught was not true to their "already seeded" belief. They found a severe confliction maybe in thejr heart that their body and mind cant jive with the faith they "chose to practice." So, they left both the belief "system" and praftice. They never believed because belief is not like picking which watermelon looks good at a grocery store or what clothes look good on you. The Belief not the Religion is a part of that person.

We know why we are the beliefs we are because we resgonate with them and they with us. I cant just say "oh, Lord Krishna" blessed me and it becomes true. Thats what Belief (not religion) does, it shapea your life to where that belief enhances (not changes as in choice) your word view. Your Belief (agaij, not religion), is what makes you, you.

I have yet to meet an atheist who chose not to believe in God. They realized the beliefs "they disagreed" with; and, "chose not to Practice" because they never believed (it was not a part of them), they followed (indoctrinated)

If God were a part of them, they cannot leave that. It is like trying to leave your body part thinking it will disatach if you stop using it.

No. If the part is already amputated, and you just realize it, slowly youll stop trying to "practice" using that arm.

Meaning of analogy

The body part is the Belief (Not the religion)

If the atheist is amputated (default with no belief in him at all) and was raised as if he had an arm (raised to believe) even to the point of his parents giving him a prostetic arm (indoctrinated) he will use that arm as if he actually had one (believed he beliefs in, say, God)

Then He "finds out Not choses" he has no arm (finds out there is no God) and has to wean off using the fake arm (fake religion) tonbe himself. He stops using his "arm" (stops pracricing the religion) and starts adapting to his "already present" worldview of beinng one armed (no faith)

He did not Choose to have no arm (no belief), he Realized thisand Chose not to Practice using it (pracrice the religion). This helped him Adapt to reality (Not change reality; it was always there) so he is comfortable with Already not having an arm (comfortable with his atheism)

His lack of belief (no arm) was ready there. He just had to Realize it and Change his practice to adapt to reality. (that he had no arm to begin with.)

There was no choice in his realization he had no arm.

He has abchoice to pretend it is there or accept reality that it is not.

Best I can explain it.

jonathan180iq

Well, all the atheist arguments I've heard and especially on this site are aimed at Abrahamic religions.
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you come from a background in one of the Abrahamic religions. It should come as no surprise to you then that you're most familiar with atheistic arguments towards that faith as it directly pertains to you. But I assure that blanket atheism, which is what I subscribe to, just as readily critiques and debates other faiths as well.

It's not just your hocus pocus that we atheists pick on - it's all of the hocus pocus.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Would you be as adamant about doubting and systematically disproving faith if Christianity wasn't the supposed dominant religion in America? Or is Christianity special?

It's special for me having been raised a Christian. It is easy to dismiss other beliefs, not as easy to dismiss what you were raised to believe. I've always wonder what causes a person to question the truth they were taught by people they thought they could trust to tell them the truth.

I think it is compassion? I could not imagine being happy in Heaven while other folks were suffering in Hell. It did not seem fair. It's not the truth that I wanted, so I began to question it. I wanted to disprove a God which showed so little compassion for his/her creation.

outhouse

Atheistically

Has nothing to do with popularity, and everything with education and knowledge on the topic.

If say you had studied this at a university, you would understand how only man has defined and written every word. Not only that you see why when and where with the education

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
No, a lot of my ire stems directly from it being the dominant status quo and the constant attempts to legislate by it, attack science and force its way into education .

I would of course still have disapproving things to say but I would care so much less and it would not be important .

Edit just like I have other things to say about other religions they take a back burner for this exact reason.

very good question. Thanks

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I'm guessing that was tongue-in-cheek :)

I was channeling my inner fundamentalist.

images

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Because I can pull out polls which show that as an atheist, Revolt and I are generally less trusted than rapists.
I don't mean to be so rude. I trust you, I would try to be apart of this if you all weren't mature. In a way you guys know my struggles in a way that no one else does (even at he church I go to) and you've never even seen my face. I have faith in this, and to a certain extent I have faith in you.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It is about time for you to just admit that I have no reason whatsoever to, Thief.

No matter how passionately you may want me to believe that I do.
Your beliefs are not my worry.

God is God.....Creator and Almighty.

I cannot take that away....neither can you.

I consider the creation as a reflection of it's Creator.
I know God by searching through His handiwork.

science.....

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So, is there any point to these posts of yours then? Any at all?

It is not like any make itself apparent, you know.