• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zoroastrians: Introduce yourself

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
thanks a lot for such a detailed response. but in india, in the present time, their rigid opposition to interfaith marriages and non-acceptance of children born of such marriages and opposition to conversion gives a different idea. I am fascinated with Zoroastrianism and I am trying to see it in a more positive light..

That would be the Parsis; and their reasons are strictly to do with historical tradition. When their ancestors fled the persecution & violence inherent to the Islamisation of Persia, the King of Gujarat granted them lands on the condition that the Parsis did not inter-marry with the indigenous population and did not try to convert the Hindus of Gujarat to Zoroastrianism. The Parsis accepted and this centuries old agreement, although useless now, has informed their decisions ever since. Unfortunately it's also causing the faith to lose numbers in the modern world.

MD

qualiaphile
thanks a lot for such a detailed response. but in india, in the present time, their rigid opposition to interfaith marriages and non-acceptance of children born of such marriages and opposition to conversion gives a different idea. I am fascinated with Zoroastrianism and I am trying to see it in a more positive light..

That's not against secluarism. Secularism is the separation of church and state and since Zoroastrians are a small population, we would prefer the state always remain secular.

What the Parsis and Iranians believe in is basically a response to centuries of taqiyya and Islamic persecution. It worked when secluded, but doesn't work anymore.

frenny

I don't mean to hurt anyone but just out of curiosity want to know whether all Zoroastrians, like parsis in india, use bull's urine in various religious ceremonies? I read it in JJ Modi's Religious Ceremonies... (1922: pg. 97). in fact, in one of the videos on youtube about parsis, a woman drank a little of it just before her marriage ceremony... I hope nobody is offended; if so, I apologize.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't mean to hurt anyone but just out of curiosity want to know whether all Zoroastrians, like parsis in india, use bull's urine in various religious ceremonies? I read it in JJ Modi's Religious Ceremonies... (1922: pg. 97). in fact, in one of the videos on youtube about parsis, a woman drank a little of it just before her marriage ceremony... I hope nobody is offended; if so, I apologize.
No.

MD

qualiaphile

Oh yea some do. We're just supposed to touch our lips to it during the navjote, not drink it per say. The bull is again a remnant of a pre Zoroastrian custom, where cattle were considered holy.

Not all Zoroastrians do it, the Iranians don't and the Kurds don't. No new convert who has gone through a navjote does. It's an ancient practice which seems to have stayed on with the Parsis in India. I don't think Parsis in the West either.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Oh yea, Parsis do. We're just supposed to touch our lips to it during the navjote, not drink it per say. The bull is again a remnant of a pre Zoroastrian custom, where cattle were considered holy.

Not all Zoroastrians do it, the Iranians don't and the Kurds don't. No new convert who has gone through a navjote does. It's an ancient practice which seems to have stayed on with the Parsis.

Something attached to the older Mithraic traditions perhaps?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Do you have a Book where I can read about things like good thoughts, good words, good deeds please? Scripture like the beatitudes or Dhammapadda or similar. To guide my daily life. Small wisdoms but from Zoroastrian scriptures. Also something about Ahura Mazda the God?

loverofhumanity

Premium Member

Dear MD,

I had a glance and read the most beautiful things. Things about not lying and telling the truth.

This is a treasure and a gift I highly prize an I am truly grateful

Anything you have any Words attributed to Zoroaster or history that is authentic I will treasure greatly.

The PDF really made it easy to save in my library.

To show people the beauty of Zoroaster this really helps. Thank you very much.

I have become interested . For a variety of reasons.

I think the religion should be preserved and protected.

I know this thread hasn't been active for a while, so I will leave things there and see what arises.

MD

qualiaphile
I have become interested . For a variety of reasons.

I think the religion should be preserved and protected.

I know this thread hasn't been active for a while, so I will leave things there and see what arises.

Welcome.

I'm the only Zoroastrian here on RF, there have been others who have come and gone. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Welcome.

I'm the only Zoroastrian here on RF, there have been others who have come and gone. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

You believe in God right and you call Him Ahura Mazda is that correct?

MD

qualiaphile
You believe in God right and you call Him Ahura Mazda is that correct?

Yes I believe there is a creative force in the universe called Ahura Mazda, whose could be called God.

However Ahura Mazda is different from the Abrahamic God in some ways.