• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your thoughts on ''mediums?''

Deidre

I watched a documentary recently about mediums, and it all seemed very convincing, that there are people out there who can 'channel' the dead, and bring some closure for those of us who have lost loved ones, and maybe are still searching for answers. Some religions teach that mediums are evil, but I happen to think that maybe there are some people who have this special ''gift.'' What do you think? Do you ''believe'' in mediums?

Have you ever hired one to help you communicate with a deceased loved one?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I'm married to one. The ones that talk to the dead - "Gramma says hi" - I think are full of it, and just playing off emotions. From my second-hand experience it's a lot of seeing wandering spirits, or thinking that spirits are people around you until you realize they've got no legs. Also a lot of animal spirits.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are Bible scriptures which suggest that it is not possible for dead people to communicate anything.
Ecclesiastes 9:4-5 and Ecclesiastes 9:10 Isaiah 26:14

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Is a historian or an archaeologist a medium? They certainly speak for the dead.

I've no trouble with the idea of ghosts and spirits in a general sort of way, since they fall into my mental category of "unexplained phenomena that an awful lot of people seem to experience", a varied and interesting category towards which I favor an attitude of healthy agnosticism. That said, I do not tend to believe people who say that spirits speak to them in full sentences, as the sentences in question always seem to be very indicative of the biases of the speaker. People who believe in New Age spirituality tend to claim the authority of the dead for New Age ideas; people who believe in ecclectic Christianity ferry back messages, sometimes entire books, from heaven or hell. Atheists come up with sometimes fantastically complex and implausible "scientific explanations" for any contact with ghosts and spirits they might have had. Vodouisants carry messages with the Lwa as additional mediators. Mediums of all stripes give messages in their own languages, never those of the dead they are channeling. If the dead are attempting to deliver pure messages for us, untainted by the bias of the medium themselves, they are clearly enough not succeeding in doing so. Perhaps this is all for the good, and the powers that be, whether for their own reasons or for our sakes, do not trust the living with that kind of knowlege.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I believe you can communicate with your Grandma and loved ones on the other side. Listen to your heart. She speaks to your heart, not your ears. She's looking out for you and praying for you with your ancestors in Heaven.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe you can communicate with your Grandma and loved ones on the other side. Listen to your heart. She speaks to your heart, not your ears. She's looking out for you and praying for you with your ancestors in Heaven.
It seems as though the Bible says she can't know you anymore after she has died. Have you considered that the communicating of the dead that some people believe in might actually be the communicating with them BEFORE they die? In other words, through TIME?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Right now, a person is DEAD. Before they died they were ALIVE. Can you communicate with loved ones while they are alive in the past?

You are now. They were then and you and they are communicating.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What does it mean? It means that instead of from death they speak it is through time they speak.

Do you really not get it?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I watched a documentary recently about mediums, and it all seemed very convincing, that there are people out there who can 'channel' the dead, and bring some closure for those of us who have lost loved ones, and maybe are still searching for answers. Some religions teach that mediums are evil, but I happen to think that maybe there are some people who have this special ''gift.'' What do you think? Do you ''believe'' in mediums?

Have you ever hired one to help you communicate with a deceased loved one?

No. After my grandmother passed and talking with a Santero, I thought about it. There's a Spiritualist Church near me but a good amount if I took a cab I'd like to go to. I have yet to visit there on a weekday to get a feel of the place.

Deidre

I'm married to one. The ones that talk to the dead - "Gramma says hi" - I think are full of it, and just playing off emotions. From my second-hand experience it's a lot of seeing wandering spirits, or thinking that spirits are people around you until you realize they've got no legs. Also a lot of animal spirits.
You are married to one? How interesting! Does she like having this gift? In the show I watched, it seemed like it was overwhelming for some mediums.

Deidre

No. After my grandmother passed and talking with a Santero, I thought about it. There's a Spiritualist Church near me but a good amount if I took a cab I'd like to go to. I have yet to visit there on a weekday to get a feel of the place.
Carlita, let me know if you do this, I'm tempted to as I've been missing my grandmother lately, but...not sure if it's something I should do. Suppose it is all just an emotional head trip that the person takes you on, you know? :oops:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It seems as though the Bible says she can't know you anymore after she has died. Have you considered that the communicating of the dead that some people believe in might actually be the communicating with them BEFORE they die? In other words, through TIME?

Maybe consider that that the Bible says people are "dead to sin" and that when one dies, they're spirit doesn't just vanish but depending on their faith either they wait to be judged or go straight to god. But saying there is "dead" in christianity is like sayin christ never existed after his Crucifixion.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
I've talked to mediums and after everything they claim, I call bull****. As a necromancer, I like to think I know quite a bit about how the dead work and how one can go about communicating with them, and a lot of what they about how the dead manifest and interact with the world is just, well, not how they manifest and interact with the world. I have no doubt that there are some people who are just particularly talented at communicating with the dead, just like with any other skill, but the "medium" thing is probably either some mild form of schizophrenia or something similar, a scam, wishful thinking, or some combination of the three.

Side note: The medium's I've talked to have claimed that necromancy is either evil, fake, or scary. Why might this be? Necromancy (as I explained to them) accomplices exactly the same thing as what they hope to do; talk to the dead. Any ideas on this? Genuinely curious here.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I definitely believe there are gifted mediums that have genuine abilities. Mediums that use their ability to help others can be a positive thing. In fact I will go so far as to say that gifted mediums have been shown to be correct at fantastic odds against chance when tested under tightly controlled laboratory conditions. Here is one link that discusses the testing aspect: The Scientific Investigation into Mediumship

There are those scientific skeptics that will claim all paranormal phenomena is bogus but I look at the evidence and judge things for myself.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Carlita, let me know if you do this, I'm tempted to as I've been missing my grandmother lately, but...not sure if it's something I should do. Suppose it is all just an emotional head trip that the person takes you on, you know? :oops:

I communicate with her (and rest of my family) in prayer. The church also has classes to be a medium.

Spiritualist Church of Awareness

I came to accept spirituality is "in our head" or it's psychological. The feelings we get are based on experiences, preset ideas, how we were raised, who we grieve, what we were taught, and things of that nature. There isn't anything that's in religion that has not been thought of by man and gods as invisible beings are always said to be "unexplained." I feel that we can connect with ourselves and life (or who others call god) and by whatever religion shapes how they define life and their purpose in it.

I wouldn't throw out the psychological nature of spirituality. What can we know that we have not already been predisposed to whether we use it to filter new experiences or understand the old.

With spiritualism, if it's psychological, why would it matter though? Therapist help people grieving all the time and help them accept death as a part of life. Spirituality is a grieving process. Unless one feels they are going to live forever with god, I honestly don't see harm seeing spirituality in life itself with or without it having a supernatural component to it.