• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your rice

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've found black rice doesn't taste much different from ordinary brown rice, but it's a lot messier. That black isn't colourfast. Cook it with any other food and the whole lot will be stained black.

atanu

Premium Member
I've found black rice doesn't taste much different from ordinary brown rice, but it's a lot messier. That black isn't colourfast. Cook it with any other food and the whole lot will be stained black.

Is it like that? I hope the stock you got was not dyed or something?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I like just about any kind of rice, except long grain. I have a small rice cooker I use, when I'm not using Uncle Ben's 90 Second Ready Rice varieties. :facepalm: I've made white and brown rice in the rice cooker. The brown rice takes twice as much water as white rice. I've even thrown in a can of beans or lentils, seasoned it all, and had a one pot meal. Just add vegs on the side. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Is it like that? I hope the stock you got was not dyed or something?

You never know, it's always wise to be wary. A lot of white sugar has bone in it. That silver foil on sweets is also problematic. They'll put a lot of phony stuff in food if it makes Consumer buy it.

Yeah, I can make black rice too ... take white rice, black paint .. and bingo. Anybody for purple rice? :)

Later, after discussing it with Boss, apparently I've already eaten black rice, just that it was in a mixed rice bag. Who knew?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
With lentils, it is 'khichri'. With vegetables, it is 'pulao' (pilaf), risotto, or 'buzbhatta' among Kashmiris. The quickest dish possible.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'll mix pink lentils (nansoor dal) and rice sometimes in cooking. You can also cook it in tomato juice. It's really versatile stuff. Gluten free pasta is generally rice pasta.

Maya3

I'll mix pink lentils (nansoor dal) and rice sometimes in cooking. You can also cook it in tomato juice. It's really versatile stuff. Gluten free pasta is generally rice pasta.

I use tomato pasta sauce in everything. It makes for a great base.

Maya

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We never use tomatoes or paste in khichri or buzbhatta, though we can put a few pieces on the top. We use a lot of fat (oil or ghee). Never worried about gluten, but yes, it does not suit a few people.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
You never know, it's always wise to be wary. A lot of white sugar has bone in it. That silver foil on sweets is also problematic. They'll put a lot of phony stuff in food if it makes Consumer buy it.

Yeah, I can make black rice too ... take white rice, black paint .. and bingo. Anybody for purple rice? :)

Later, after discussing it with Boss, apparently I've already eaten black rice, just that it was in a mixed rice bag. Who knew?

Food coloring might work. :) What I read in the Wiki article about black rice is that it's glutinous, and more purple. I suppose you could take arborio rice and color it. Food coloring packages usually have a chart on how much of what colors to mix to get another color. Purple is easy to make.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
With lentils, it is 'khichri'. With vegetables, it is 'pulao' (pilaf), risotto, or 'buzbhatta' among Kashmiris. The quickest dish possible.

Quick dishes for the win! :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That looks AWESOME!

My wice huh? I guess I just eat plain white lol, I'm so boring.

What about Quinoa? Anyone ever tried that?

Only if you're a fan of paneer. :)

Quinoa, yes, awesome versatile stuff. Anything you can do with rice, you can do with quinoa, but for better nutrition.

Kalidas

Quinoa, yes, awesome versatile stuff. Anything you can do with rice, you can do with quinoa, but for better nutrition.

Thats right you don't like paneer.

That is what I heard. I should buy some and try it. We got my mother in law a rice steamer for mothers day, which is just as much a gift for her as it is for me!

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That looks AWESOME!

My wice huh? I guess I just eat plain white lol, I'm so boring.

What about Quinoa? Anyone ever tried that?

I make quinoa in the rice cooker. 1:1 quinoa:water. It's pretty good. It's a bit crunchy and nutty tasting, and looks absolutely abominable when it's cooked because it sprouts and you have these little thready thingies. :D But it's good. What's more, you can eat it on Ekadashi because it's not a grain, it's a seed. It comes in red, white, black, and a mix of those. It can be seasoned any way rice can be. I don't think it would make a very good pudding though. :run:

Kalidas

I make quinoa in the rice cooker. 1:1 quinoa:water. It's pretty good. It's a bit crunchy and nutty tasting, and looks absolutely abominable when it's cooked because it sprouts and you have these little thready thingies. :D But it's good. What's more, you can eat it on Ekadashi because it's not a grain, it's a seed. It comes in red, white, black, and a mix of those. It can be seasoned any way rice can be. I don't think it would make a very good pudding though. :run:

this is a terrible conversation for me to be in, I haven't eaten yet... now I'm starving.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

That is what I heard. I should buy some and try it.

I use Spanish queso blanco. It's a firm white cheese that doesn't melt. Much easier to get than paneer. I might try to make paneer sometime when I'm bored out of my skull. :D I think 32 oz. of cottage cheese would yield a small square of paneer. I'd start by lining a strainer with cheese cloth over a bowl, dumping the cottage cheese in, covering with plastic and putting a weight on it in the frig. overnight, then see how much more pressing and squeezing needs to be done. I just don't know if it's worth it.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |

Indian food - regardless of it being
from the North or the South, or the
East or the West - is not that good,
when it comes to loosing fat/weight.

If meat is a part of the diet, there
are two dishes that are very good:
Chicken Tandoori & Tandoori Salmon.
If it is veggies: lentils are one's best
food of choice. No gravy, curry, etc.
Eat them raw*. They are wonderful.
Plus, the "healthiest" foods are never
really of a particular ethnic origin.
They are your usual fruits, green &
fresh veggies, and lean meats. No
"tasty add-ons", so to speak.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
this is a terrible conversation for me to be in, I haven't eaten yet... now I'm starving.

I know from hungry. Yesterday I fasted (not 100%, just from grains and legumes, and eggs) for Narasimha Jayanthi, and by dusk, at the time of the Lord's appearance, I had developed Voracious Ravenousitis, but I held out for a while. So last evening I had some quinoa and mashed potatoes, and broke the fast this morning with a slice of whole grain bread and ghee. I also fasted on Saturday for Ekadashi.