• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your rice

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
2Q==
What kind of rice do you prefer of the several hundred varieties?

Here we eat mostly Basmati brown, but i like all kinds. Tonight was Thai red, which was great stuff. We rarely eat plain white rice, although I will eat it at friend's houses.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I like a mixture of white and brown rice.

Rinsed in boiling water for an hour before cooking (to wash out as much starch as possible) and then steamed.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
What kind of rice do you prefer of the several hundred varieties?
My Lunch is incomplete without rice but still I don't know much about variety of rices.

Rinsed in boiling water for an hour before cooking (to wash out as much starch as possible) and then steamed.

1 hour, you seems to be very health conscious. When I cook, I just wash them 2 times with cold water and cook under 10 min. :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
My Lunch is incomplete without rice but still I don't know much about variety of rices.

1 hour, you seems to be very health conscious. When I cook, I just wash them 2 times with cold water and cook under 10 min. :D

Like a lot of things, I think rice is very localised wherever it's grown. Here, where we have to import all of it, we get maybe 15 varieties from several countries. So although its more costly, we get a larger variety.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member

Lol, I try to be. :D

Also, my friend is Korean and that's how his family cooks their rice. After 5 years, you become spoiled.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I wish I liked brown rice but alas, no. My favourite is Basmati white and I also love lemon rice. Yum!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Not even Basmati brown? ahh... the aroma!!

There's so much you can do ... yoghurt rice, spicy rice, evn just some chopped curry leaves or coriander

Maya3

We just tried black rice for the first time last week. It was great!
But usually we eat white Basmati.
Lemon rice? How do you make that?

Maya

atanu

Premium Member

There is a variety available which is called 'boiled rice'. I suppose it is same as what you say. I first thought that rinsing rice in boiling water will render rice into a pulp? No?

But this procedure if applied to Basmati variety will destroy the flavour.

BTW, Sumit is from Uttarakhand, the land of Basmati rice. We can request him to parcel 100 kilos of rice to everyone. He he.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Usually we eat Basmati, although we're trying to work more brown rice into the diet - it just takes longer to make.

As for recipes - yes, Lemon rice is great, but my favorite has to be yogurt rice. I could eat that till it killed me.

:camp:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
BTW, Sumit is from Uttarakhand, the land of Basmati rice. We can request him to parcel 100 kilos of rice to everyone. He he.

I'm in! Brown though.

To tell the truth, the rice eating habits here (North America) is now changing like bread used to ... a transition from white to brown, even amongst traditional white eaters like the Chinese and Indian immigrant communities.

Just 10 to 15 years back, the Indian stores would have no brown rice at all, and you had to go to a health food store, or a regular superstore. These days brown is available everywhere, maybe 10% of the stocked rice in an import sore is brown. That's a long ways from 0%. You can also get the exotic kinds like Sri Lankan red.

When I was a kid, white to brown bread was about 90 - 10 ratio, now its more like 30 -70.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
White Basmati :eek:, though I know brown would be more healthful.

I eat a lot less rice today, though, since it was revealed that the stuff is full of arsenic.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It has been ages since I ate good rice with aroma. All that, I think, is exported. What we get is at $1 per kg., white milled stuff. Asked my wife to try alternatives, but she does not agree. I think her reasons are better. Ate mushroom (gucchi, morel), kashmir*) + rice at a function. That was excellent. But the mushroom is supposed to be costly.

* Or perhaps it was some artificial flavor?

Last edited: