• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Opinion Please

CarlinKnew

It just is. Like how 2 > 1. By definition Perfection is better than Imperfection.

2 is a higher number than 1, 2 isn't better than 1. 'Better' is a matter of opinion. Someone might prefer imperfection to perfection. So how is reaching perfection in the afterlife "logically more meaningful" than living an imperfect life and dying peacefully? It is a matter of opinion.

AlsoAnima

Friend
2 is a higher number than 1, 2 isn't better than 1. 'Better' is a matter of opinion. Someone might prefer imperfection to perfection. So how is reaching perfection in the afterlife "logically more meaningful" than living an imperfect life and dying peacefully? It is a matter of opinion.
Another difference you have overlooked is that imperfection and perfection have to do with better, their definitions come from better. Without it they lose their definition.

CarlinKnew

Another difference you have overlooked is that imperfection and perfection have to do with better, their definitions come from better. Without it they lose their definition.

Indeed, and for some this life is perfect as it is. Your idea of reaching perfection in the afterlife is your opinion. Logic has nothing to do with it.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
No, It's impossible because you can't logical justify society being worth anything under Atheism.

I'm an atheist, and yet I value the well being and progression of my fellow man (society) due to innate compassion, mutual benefit and rational self-interest. Explain why you think the idea of worth necessitates an invisible sky daddy? I as a non-believer can still value things without some element of voodoo in the equation.

slave2six

Substitious
I'm an atheist, and yet I value the well being and progression of my fellow man (society) due to innate compassion, mutual benefit and rational self-interest. Explain why you think the idea of worth necessitates an invisible sky daddy? I as a non-believer can still value things without some element of voodoo in the equation.
Beyond that, caring about the well-being of your fellow man is ultimately the natural result of self interest. If the people around you are well fed, content, and happy, they're not gonna mess with you and your stuff.

Even the Christian "Beatitudes" are entirely self-interested. "Blessed are the <fill in the blank> for they shall receive <fill in the blank>." Nowhere does the Christian doctrine teach "do this simply because it's the right thing to do." It's all about performance and reward. Just like training a puppy.