• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your internal monologue

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Nah, you Jocks would have tired yourselves out with tossing the caber, dressing up as women, and bingeing on stale haggis. :p

The other two allegations I can just about tolerate, but the middle one..... about our traditional national attire :eek: :dress:

Now, that needs some rectifying from this Scotsman....

scex3.jpg

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems like thinking is talking to yourself.

Back in the days before cellphones and earpieces became more ubiquitous, you'd occasionally see some disheveled person on the street talking to themselves. People might have thought they had some sort of mental problem.

But now, I see it all the time when people are talking on their cellphones, yet you don't see them actually holding a cellphone to their face. It looks like they're talking to an invisible person.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
So when you read or just think to yourself, what happens in your head? Is there a voice? Do you see pictures or hear words, or do you just nakedly grasp concepts without anything like that?

Some of my friends have given every answer on this spectrum and that fascinates me. One doesn't hear an internal monologue at all but just "nakedly" understands concepts, many hear an internal monologue voice, some see words as pictures when they're thinking or reading (and one means they literally see a picture of the word, not of the concept).

Personally, I hear an internal monologue as a voice. However, the voice has no properties that I can describe. It isn't a male or a female voice, it isn't high or low pitched, isn't loud or quiet. I have no idea how to describe this because it's so ineffable. It's just a voice that is definitely speaking phonetically but has no qualities.

I have actually done an experiment before where I set alarms on my phone for some future time; and when the alarms went off, I knew I was supposed to evaluate whatever I was just thinking about to see if it was in "spoken" English or something else like "pure concepts." I found that even when not thinking about it, I was still thinking in a spoken English voice (and still, it had no qualities like being gendered or pitched or anything like that).

So I'm curious, what's your internal monologue like?
I initially think of things in a combination of imagery and monologue, but mostly my inner monologue is a dialog between myself and a person whose knowledge and opinion I respect. If I am struggling with an idea or concept and seeking my own answers, I mentally conjure that struggle as a debate and discussion between myself and that person.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Don't look is an invitation to look... Some of those things are a couple if feet long... I am shocked, shocked i tell you...

Men come in 3 sizes: small, medium and LIAR. :p

(sorry, Miss Mix, we seem to have gone a little off topic here..)

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
For all those suffering a little lack of knowledge, Ireland too has its kilts..

The Irish National Tartan
View attachment 53131

Perfectly true, but we got there first. A type of kilt can be dated roughly to the sixteenth century in use by Highland Scots (the Feileadh Mor, mostly protective clothing, not yet ceremonial dress), whereas the Irish saffron kilts are of more recent origins - I believe they adopted it from us, their fellow Gaelic cousins circa. the late 19th to early 20th century, so far as I recall.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Perfectly true, but we got there first. A type of kilt can be dated roughly to the sixteenth century in use by Highland Scots (the Feileadh Mor, mostly protective clothing, not yet ceremonial dress), whereas the Irish saffron kilts are of more recent origins - I believe they adopted it from us, their fellow Gaelic cousins circa. the late 19th to early 20th century, so far as I recall.

The Scots probably had to get the Irish drunk before persuading them to wear a skirt. :p