• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your internal monologue

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
My internal monologue is just my own voice. If what I'm reading is visual in nature, my mind constructs a sort of movie to accompany what it is that I am reading according to what my imagination can muster. If other characters are talking, the internal monologue changes changes to match the way I imagine they'd talk.

Generally my internal monologue narrates in my own voice as well, but sometimes that narration will change based on what it is that I'm reading. For example, if I read Lovecraft or Poe, sometimes that voice will come in the form of Nick Gisburne's just because I love his audio book readings of those works and associate his voice with their content.

So, I guess in general my internal monologue is subject to my imagination's whims. :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
My internal monologue is in Italian. I have no clue what he's saying.

Seriously though, I'm not sure I have one. When I'm not focused on something, there is either a stillness or there is music playing that I sing along (and occasionally dance) to.

Yes, I'm commonly the recipient of odd looks, and yes, I can feel yours coming through my monitor.

Great topic, by the way.

ETA: I've been paying attention for the last 15 minutes or so. When I am focused on something (a few minutes ago, a new puppy [new to the building; it's a puppy, so of course it's new] in our building started barking and whining), I have no internal monologue. It would appear I just observe what's happening.

Any monologue I do have I typically vocalize (yes, I talk to myself...don't judge me :p).

Last edited:

MikeF

Premium Member
So when you read or just think to yourself, what happens in your head? Is there a voice? Do you see pictures or hear words, or do you just nakedly grasp concepts without anything like that?

Some of my friends have given every answer on this spectrum and that fascinates me. One doesn't hear an internal monologue at all but just "nakedly" understands concepts, many hear an internal monologue voice, some see words as pictures when they're thinking or reading (and one means they literally see a picture of the word, not of the concept).

Personally, I hear an internal monologue as a voice. However, the voice has no properties that I can describe. It isn't a male or a female voice, it isn't high or low pitched, isn't loud or quiet. I have no idea how to describe this because it's so ineffable. It's just a voice that is definitely speaking phonetically but has no qualities.

I have actually done an experiment before where I set alarms on my phone for some future time; and when the alarms went off, I knew I was supposed to evaluate whatever I was just thinking about to see if it was in "spoken" English or something else like "pure concepts." I found that even when not thinking about it, I was still thinking in a spoken English voice (and still, it had no qualities like being gendered or pitched or anything like that).

So I'm curious, what's your internal monologue like?

I have a running monologue, in a non-descript male voice, mid-range. I imagine it is a reflection of what I hear when I speak. And the echoing audible voice we hear ourselves speak is definitely different than how it sounds to others. Hearing ourselves on tape speaks to that.

I can't even conceive of seeing a word as a picture, though. When reading a novel, in addition to my inner voice "reading the words aloud in my head", the words build a movie that I am simultaneously watching, similar to what is experience while dreaming.

Never considered others having a very different process.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So when you read or just think to yourself, what happens in your head? Is there a voice? Do you see pictures or hear words, or do you just nakedly grasp concepts without anything like that?

Probably a bit of both. I don't think it's an actual voice, although I might internally process thoughts using words - or sometimes not. I hadn't really paid much attention to it. Sometimes I talk to myself, which is probably a bad habit.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
My internal monologue is in Italian. I have no clue what he's saying.

Seriously though, I'm not sure I have one. When I'm not focused on something, there is either a stillness or there is music playing that I sing along (and occasionally dance) to.

Yes, I'm commonly the recipient of odd looks, and yes, I can feel yours coming through my monitor.

Great topic, by the way.

ETA: I've been paying attention for the last 15 minutes or so. When I am focused on something (a few minutes ago, a new puppy [new to the building; it's a puppy, so of course it's new] in our building started barking and whining), I have no internal monologue. It would appear I just observe what's happening.

Any monologue I do have I typically vocalize (yes, I talk to myself...don't judge me :p).

And as an example of the music thing I mentioned above, as soon as I typed "don't judge me," this song started playing in my head. And I haven't heard this song out loud in about 10 years.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Some of my friends have given every answer on this spectrum and that fascinates me. One doesn't hear an internal monologue at all but just "nakedly" understands concepts, many hear an internal monologue voice, some see words as pictures when they're thinking or reading (and one means they literally see a picture of the word, not of the concept).

Personally, I hear an internal monologue as a voice. However, the voice has no properties that I can describe. It isn't a male or a female voice, it isn't high or low pitched, isn't loud or quiet. I have no idea how to describe this because it's so ineffable. It's just a voice that is definitely speaking phonetically but has no qualities.

I have actually done an experiment before where I set alarms on my phone for some future time; and when the alarms went off, I knew I was supposed to evaluate whatever I was just thinking about to see if it was in "spoken" English or something else like "pure concepts." I found that even when not thinking about it, I was still thinking in a spoken English voice (and still, it had no qualities like being gendered or pitched or anything like that).

This reminds me of the few children I taught whose monologue was verbalised by constant mumbling. I'd say, "Johnny, do we all really need a running commentary of your life?"

Personally, when awake, my mind tends to pop hither thither, as if I had mental ADHD. But from breathing and concentration, I can also get incredibly focused, almost in trance states.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
...Some of my friends have given every answer on this spectrum and that fascinates me...
With just a small amount of reading you can widen your understanding of why this occurs. What I did was to read the first few chapters of The Search for the Real Self. This landmark book is now over 20 years old, but it covers very briefly the formation of identity as understood based upon a 50 year cradle to grave study of people. Before that important study people understood psychology by studying cadavers of crazy people and by psychoanalysis. The formation of identity was not understood at all. This study restarted Psychology on a new footing. Since the writing of the book no doubt there has been further research, but it can take you far with only a few chapters. Very important are theories of how identity forms in infants, children and teenagers -- in ourselves.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
I imagine emptiness looks like @Vouthon 's score board, because the first shot is fired by me with this post in our new rivalry (OK this is really stretching, I'm drunk, sue me)

Right lass, let's set the record straight for that scoreboard of ours.

If the Scots and the Irish went tae war, we both know there would only be one victor - because the Tartan Army would have kilt it. ;)

tenor (2).gif

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Right lass, let's set the record straight for that scoreboard of ours.

If the Scots and the Irish went tae war, we both know there would only be one victor - because the Tartan Army would have kilt it. ;)

View attachment 53124

Nah, you Jocks would have tired yourselves out with tossing the caber, dressing up as women, and bingeing on stale haggis. :p