• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your God is Not God

Riders

Did you not hear me talk about the almighty sun God Ra, I'm a Zen Buddhist and a Pagan.

I agree that you believe this statement and by doing so creating your reality:

"Your god is not god. Your god (or gods) is, at best, an approach to thinking about god (or to thinking about the gods)."

For me, God works in my life, if other's believe that it's my coping fabrication to having something there as in Faith to live a better life then so be it. Diversity has taught me to love myself, and God "life" has given me that. I can't explain it or show you in physical ways but have been lost, seeing other nonhuman creatures within other dimensions brought forth an incredible faith. As dark as I got, is as light as I can achieve to be in this lifetime.
I'm a human being trying to better myself if you want to read some stories that strengthen my faith, go to myrandomflashbacks.com and view blog discussion, I have a multi-religious panel that discusses the issues.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Your God...
is your God.

Your God is God.

It's not rocket science.
If you think your God is simpler than rocket science then that's a pretty small god. I can totally interpret this question as 'if God is incomprehensibly large, knowledgable, without human logic, and beyond anything we can measure, than it's safe to say that your limited view of god, which you have in your head, is about as much the true God as a tiny root branch underground a giant sequoia tree.' In that respect, one would be deluding themselves to believe that they know, understand, or can speak for God.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
God can be real in someone's mind. It translates to real actions in respect to that view and/or belief, so a person's God is as real as he or she makes it out to be.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
If you think your God is simpler than rocket science then that's a pretty small god.
Not necessarily. Rocket science is pretty convoluted. God needn't be convoluted.

I can totally interpret this question as 'if God is incomprehensibly large, knowledgable, without human logic, and beyond anything we can measure, than it's safe to say that your limited view of god, which you have in your head, is about as much the true God as a tiny root branch underground a giant sequoia tree.' In that respect, one would be deluding themselves to believe that they know, understand, or can speak for God.
Or, that the root of a sequoia tree can be pretty convoluted.

I prefer the middle way. (i.e. it's all about analysis.)

mbdrums

My God referred to Himself as "I AM" and was referred to - by His only begotten Son, Yeshua - as "Father." The Israelites referred to Him as YHWH, because He has no specific name. Whether or not, you want to refer to Him as God, god or don't even believe there is a God, god or many gods, doesn't really matter. As YHWH said, "I AM That I AM."

minorwork

Destroyer of Worlds
Premium Member
Do you agree or disagree with this statement: "Your god is not god. Your god (or gods) is, at best, an approach to thinking about god (or to thinking about the gods)." If you agree with the statement, why do you agree? If you do not agree, why not?
I am unable to agree but as it applies to me, not others, not you.
Note: I am ignostic, not agnostic. If a description of a god is good, I can begin looking for its existence having the better chance of not wasting time in an endeavor that would require existence without evidence.

Sunstone, your statement limits an answer to thinking only as well as inquiring of MY assessment of others' thinkings.

Holding to the experience, not thought, as the foundation of finding a deity is primary for me. First, have the experience, THEN find a system able to be adapted to best embrace the experience within its system of thought.

To answer then.
Certainly, I was limited to a god(s) thinking approach. Then came the induced intentional experience had with concentration and attitude alone. The thinking approach was secondary after the experience. The thinking-only approach was useful as means to communicate to other conscious agents the nature of, the explanation of the experience of existence independent of the body.

heksesang

Do you agree or disagree with this statement: "Your god is not god. Your god (or gods) is, at best, an approach to thinking about god (or to thinking about the gods)." If you agree with the statement, why do you agree? If you do not agree, why not?
God is something beyond our comprehension. Our holy books are just an abstract layer, with its faults. It's like explaining gravity by Newtonian laws (i.e. they are wrong, but a good approximation).
So in that sense, what we think of as God can only ever be our idea of God, which cannot ever actually be exactly the same as actual God.

So I'd say I agree with the statement. Any other answer would imply that God had such a low complexity that humans could understand it IMO.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
If it is true that you have seen Christ, then I don't understand you stating,"It doesn't mean he's real." It makes no sense to me.
Well he isn't real in the sense that he is a man, he represents our true nature, call that the Buddha, the Christ, Krishna, or whatever name you want to use. Our mind body organism is nothing but a programmed and conditioned organism, but our true Self is beyond this organism, we are One with the Cosmos or what you might call God. So what I have experienced in seeing Jesus was just that, experiencing my true Self, the image of Jesus only represent that which is, this is my truth.

stevevw

Sorry to sound like I'm sitting on the fence but I agree and disagree. We all have an inclination to believe in something as we are born like this. So it is in our nature as the bible says to look for God. Because of this people will make gods out of many different things when looking for the one true God and say that they have found the truth. But if there is a God and God represents the truth then there can only be one God because there cannot be many truths.

Isaiah44:6 — Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Last edited:

Riders

Sorry to sound like I'm sitting on the fence but I agree and disagree. We all have an inclination to believe in something as we are born like this. So it is in our nature as the bible says to look for God. Because of this people will make gods out of many different things when looking for the one true God and say that they have found the truth. But if there is a God and God represents the truth then there can only be one God because there cannot be many truths.

Isaiah44:6 — Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Which truth is it? Theres just as much evidence for every other religion,actually there more evidence other religions are true then Christianity. So if your going by one God it wouldn't be Christianity.

But in the beginning Paganism was the first religion nature. WHy don't Christian claim Judiasm instead of Christianity?Christianity in the old testament, there is a scripture talking about the Jewish God that says Our God is the BEST God.

The reason is the Christian God and the Jewish God were tribal Gods, The Christian God is a war God. ALl Christians have done is go to war with everyone including in this society. They're at spiritual warfare, were in war that's what they say, its a tribal war God.

I'm sorry but I do not understand your question? If I am happy and content believing in a Goddess or God why should I be concerned if a person tends to agree or disagree with my beliefs? Each person has to decide for themselves on whether or not to believe in a Divine force or not, as for me, I am content and prepared to meet my Divine when it is my time to cross over to the other side. I am not a divine creature myself and accept that my view of my Divine maybe distorted yet I have faith that my Creator will undetrstand any mis informed perceptions I had for my Creator when I was alive, hope what I wrote helps!

member: 499"]Do you agree or disagree with this statement: "Your god is not god. Your god (or gods) is, at best, an approach to thinking about god (or to thinking about the gods)." If you agree with the statement, why do you agree? If you do not agree, why not?[/QUOTE]

godnotgod

Thou art That

If you see God via your conceptual understanding, then 'your god is not god'; however, when all concepts and ideas about God have been dismissed, and one is completely empty of self, then what we call 'God', and what I will call 'The Absolute' will come into play. Until then, The Absolute is as elusive as the wind. However, at no time has one ever been separated from The Absolute in any way, just as the wave has at no time ever been separated from the vast sea out of which it comes, and to which it returns.