• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

your favourite satire?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
What is your favourite satire?

I am a big fan of Yes Minister

It is all about the relationship between a government minister and his senior civil servant

It is very clever and outrageously hilarious

It is quite old but has aged well

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What is your favourite satire?

I am a big fan of Yes Minister

It is all about the relationship between a government minister and his senior civil servant

It is very clever and outrageously hilarious

It is quite old but has aged well

I'm a big fan of Samuel Clemens AKA Mark Twain.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Andy Borowitz.

The Borowitz Report was at The New Yorker for many years before they dropped him in a cost-cutting move. You can still find his past pieces at The New Yorker, and he's now started his own newsletter. From the TNY archives:

Twitter Employees Forced to Sign Affidavit Swearing They Think Elon Musk Is Cool

SAN FRANCISCO (The Borowitz Report)—Under threat of imminent termination, Twitter employees are being required to sign an affidavit asserting that they think Elon Musk is cool.

The affidavit, which specifies that Musk is “a cool individual” and “extremely fun,” must be signed, notarized, and returned to Twitter headquarters by the end of business on Friday.

In addition to stating that the new Twitter boss is cool, the affidavit specifies several examples of “extremely cool things” that Musk has done.

For example, the document indicates that Musk’s arrival at Twitter headquarters while carrying a sink was “not only very cool but also super funny.”

Finally, the affidavit requires Twitter employees to agree with the statement “If I was having a barbecue and Elon Musk showed up uninvited, I would be totally psyched, owing to him being a cool guy whom everyone likes.”

And his new location:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
"Irony, sarcasm, or caustic wit used to attack or expose human foolishness or vice." That'll be Jonathan Pie then.
NSFW

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Not truly satire, but definitely of a satirical quality and a superb read, especially for this week:
Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, by Christopher Moore -- a fresh look at the life and death of Jesus of Nazareth. I laughed all the way through to the end, and then I teared-up.
Screenshot_20240322_211619_Chrome.jpg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
FIGNFY (Have I Got News For You, even when BJ was a guest, Heslop slaughtered him every time end he didn't even realise it)

Drop The Dead Donkey,

Mock The Week

Edit. I forgot News Night with Trevor MacDonald.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Scripted or not it was still good
Learning that it was scripted spoilt it for me just like how noticing the canned laughter spoilt Big Bang Theory for me

They shouldn't have sacked Angus either

That's why Steven Fry has refused to ever appear on it

ChristineM

Premium Member
Learning that it was scripted spoilt it for me just like how noticing the canned laughter spoilt Big Bang Theory for me

Correct, they shouldn't have sacked Angus but he'd be caught (allegedly) being a naughty boy and thats not good for ratings.

I must admit it did go downhill after Angus.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I don't think that's necessarily true

I wouldn't have stopped watching because of that and neither would you so that's two of us

Unfortunately we are not everyone, i know some people who were quite poisonous about what he (allegedly) did.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Tend to agree as to Angus and as to canned laughter on certain shows but I don't think the scripting, unless too obvious, is that bad an issue.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Tend to agree as to Angus and as to canned laughter on certain shows but I don't think the scripting, unless too obvious, is that bad an issue.
I think that both canned laughter and scripting things that are passed off as being spontaneous are fundamentally dishonest

They insult me