• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your experience with dog breeds

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I have 2 current Akitas, and had 4 former ones.

Akitas are intelligent and highly protective, and not too active. They are, however, highly dog-agressive, and will boss you if you don't take and keep control. They have long coats, and do shed. They bark very little, preferring to "talk". They are also big, averaging 100+ pounds. They are great in cold climates; in hot ones, they will stay in the A/C all day. In 16 years, no one has ever bothered my home with 1 or more Akitas living there at various times.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I have 2 current Akitas, and had 4 former ones.

Akitas are intelligent and highly protective, and not too active. They are, however, highly dog-agressive, and will boss you if you don't take and keep control. They have long coats, and do shed. They bark very little, preferring to "talk". They are also big, averaging 100+ pounds. They are great in cold climates; in hot ones, they will stay in the A/C all day. In 16 years, no one has ever bothered my home with 1 or more Akitas living there at various times.
Akitas are beautiful. What do you mean when you say that they prefer to "talk"?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Akitas are beautiful. What do you mean when you say that they prefer to "talk"?
I guess its a sort of modified quiet howl. The pitch and tone vary quite a bit, and they can be very expressive. "Hurry up!", and "more, yes, yes, more!" come through very clearly, as does "awww, c'mon, pulleeaasse?".

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I guess its a sort of modified quiet howl. The pitch and tone vary quite a bit, and they can be very expressive. "Hurry up!", and "more, yes, yes, more!" come through very clearly, as does "awww, c'mon, pulleeaasse?".
LOL! That's cool!

lunamoth

Will to love
I love talking dogs (and cats)! They really are expressive and you can encourage them by talking back. But I hate barking dogs. My last lab was not a good watch dog; he barked very very rarely, only if he was really alarmed. That was fine with me. My neighborhood is full of dogs left outside all day and night to bark and bark and bark and...you get the idea.

I'm still mourning that we had to give Tucker (black lab pup) away because of my daughter's allergies. So sad to think of life with no animals in the house.

babytucker.jpg

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I could go on and on about dogs and why you should get cats... but I'll refrain :)
As long as he doesn't get one of those thingies in your avatar. What IS that?

By the way: STOP DOG EUGENICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buy a mutt and make the world a better place! :yes:
I agree. Mutts rule. Better yet, go to the humane society and adopt one.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I'm still mourning that we had to give Tucker (black lab pup) away because of my daughter's allergies. So sad to think of life with no animals in the house.

babytucker.jpg

O.K. I don't think that puppy is nearly cute enough, do you? KIDDING! Aw, this now gives us license to post cute puppy pictures in this thread.

f_cutepuppym_1069e43.png

Cute%20Puppy.jpg

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
You can probably see by my avatar what kind of dog I like. I used to work at Petco, and have had a few dogs. I was always into smaller dogs, though. I love bigger dogs, too, like my brother's lab mix, and my sister-in-law's German Shepherd mix, but for me personally, I go with the little guys (and girls).

Obviously, for a family setting with smaller children, the best bet is a bigger dog, especially a Lab or Boxer. As others have said, the best way, for you and for dogs, is to go through a shelter or rescue. Rescue dogs are the best dogs in the world. Usually they've come from depressing, crappy lives, and are overjoyed to have someone who actually cares about them, and will appreciate their good homes more than a breeder dog.

I have a confession to make, though. My current 2 boys are actually *gasp* from a breeder. I never thought I'd do it, but after our last little Maltese, it was the only thing that made us happy. It's a long story, but basically, it was the only way for us to get a hold of a young maltese in anywhere near our area in the near future. I'm still somewhat ashamed, but I donate to rescues, and am in contact with a Yorkie rescue to which I always offer my help, to try to make up for it.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
And by the way, that last picture of the puppy on the cell phone is the cutest thing ever. As soon as I saw it, I had to go get my wife and show her.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
We have two Beagle puppies and they're wonderful little creatures. They get along great with cats and children. (We have two daughters and two cats.)

Our puppies behave exactly like the books say. They're very well tempered. They have a great sense of smell, which makes housetraining kind of challenging but they're learning! They will require more and more exercise as they grow older but we have the back yard for it.

Beagles rock! They're sweet...fun...and they grow up to be a great size. Not too large. Not too small. They're also super protective of their family but very personable with all who are in their family. They don't attach to one person and snap at the rest. :)

My sisters have labs and they're great dogs too!

zippythepinhead

Your Tax Dollars At Work
I have a Rat Terrier named Buddy. He is a purebreed. We also rescued him. He is a great dog most of the time. The rest of the time he has ADHD :)

Smoke

Done here.
A Chow Chow, I love these dog, there good guard dogs, but they don't like every one they met. They pick you to like or not, they're weird like that.
Chows are the best dogs ever. I love Chows. I'll probably never have another one, though, because they're hard to travel with, and it's even harder to get somebody to look after them for you.

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
I had a full bread beagle. He was only like 12 lbs but he was the cutest little thing. He only barked when people came close to the house.

beagle-0439.jpg

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I have a Jack Russell Terrier. 3 years old, male. And as jaymes once intimated, he is a Spawn of Satan.

I mean that in the best way, actually. He's energetic (hyperactive), friendly ("hugs" your leg all the time even after being neutered), and uber-loyal (waits outside the bathroom door when I'm in the shower). He's awesome with the kids, and I was able to train him easily.

Overall, he's the best "cuddle-buddy" in the world. My husband and I love having him snuggle in next to us on the couch or in the bed.

Peace,
Mystic

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Overall, he's the best "cuddle-buddy" in the world. My husband and I love having him snuggle in next to us on the couch or in the bed.

Peace,
Mystic

That's one of my wife and my favorite things about our little guys. There's nothing better than lying down on the couch and having a little guy curled up against you.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
I was just reading up on Australian Shepherd dogs and visiting them a few times in pet stores. Seem like a very intelligent and loyal dog with plenty of energy. Adding this breed to my list as well. Anybody with experience with an Aussie?