• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

young earthers

outhouse

Atheistically
is there any saving them???? :shrug:

the creation websites train them for our rational responces so they can keep raking in there money. :yes:

I care enough about humanity that id like to know how to defeat this ignornace :facepalm:
[they train them we will say that to lol]

every one i run across, is so set in there ways and flat brainwashed to the extent reality has left the building. :help:

sorry if this sounds mean to those of you who believe i just cant understand how primitive thoughts like this can still be held on to in this modern age. :sorry1:

ellenjanuary

Can't get 'em with logic, reason, nor evolution. The only method I have yet discovered is using scripture, and that is still iffy. From talking to people elsewhere, this is mostly an American thing; from talking to people around here, it ain't really a thing. Probably best to ignore them. ;)

Whenever I've tried to debate someone and anything scientific failed due to their ignorance or out-doing me, I try to use the bible. I assume they believe in it and accept it as truth so there's none of this nonsense like there is with evolution where they may refuse and go :ignore: :ignore: then give their argument that in the most irrelevant, convoluted manner, refutes what I said. Not all are like this though. Failing that, I give up. Or, I may go :ignore :ignore: from the start if they haven't started up first or if I realize it's too hopeless to open my mouth/move my fingers.

A

angellous_evangellous

Creationism is like heroin for the mind.

Once they get to Young Earth Creationism, the mind is completely fried.

RedOne77

is there any saving them???? :shrug:

It is the young that you want to pursue. The young haven't been as brainwashed and are generally more willing to hear you out and actually search for the truth (and, IMHO, are smarter in general). That is why, in part, I'm dead against creationism in the classroom. We cannot get through to the adults, so lets educate their kids out of bronze-age mythology and teach them 21st century science, theology and philosophy.

I care enough about humanity that id like to know how to defeat this ignornace :facepalm:
[they train them we will say that to lol]

every one i run across, is so set in there ways and flat brainwashed to the extent reality has left the building. :help:

sorry if this sounds mean to those of you who believe i just cant understand how primitive thoughts like this can still be held on to in this modern age. :sorry1:

People are not rational creatures, we are largely emotional and base our decisions on emotion. I think creationists have it right, the battlefield is the public school system. They know they can't get anywhere in the scientific/academic community, so they go to something even more fundamental: the children. Get the children, and that's at least an entire generation of creationists/ID growing up in America, ready to take part in politics, public office, permeate the job sector (including teachers and future 'scientists') and raise the next generation.

Just to reiterate. I see the main battle as that over the kids. Make sure that real science is taught in the science class, and religion/mythology has its proper place in the classroom and I think this ignorance/deception can be defeated.

outhouse

Atheistically
Creationism is like heroin for the mind.

Once they get to Young Earth Creationism, the mind is completely fried.

And i find that you are one of the patient and compassionate types.

Its kind of sad.

there has to be a way to reverse the brainwashing

I agree with the rest that the children are the key but with some adults still holding on to primitive beliefs it will take longer to breed this thinking out of existance

Man of Faith

Let's see, teach evolution from 1st grade through college as if it is a fact. Is it the eovlutionists that are brainwashed?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've found a single technique which makes creationists open to evolution. I just tell them that I
don't think the TOE disproves the existence of God. Moreover, evolution could be a tool of God's.
Take away their feeling of a threat, & they're often far more open to Darwin's (pbuh) theory.

Man of Faith

I've found a single technique which makes creationists open to evolution. I just tell them that I
don't think the TOE disproves the existence of God. Moreover, evolution could be a tool of God's.
Take away their feeling of a threat, & they're often far more open to Darwin's (pbuh) theory.

That should work for those that want man's approval, but for us that want the truth, it falls far short.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
There are Christians that worship God, and Christians that worship the Bible.
Creationists fall into the later group.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That should work for those that want man's approval, but for us that want the truth, it falls far short.
I find it works best on those after truth. They're the ones who are most likely to engage this heathen in such conversation.
Mind you, I didn't say that I changed anyone's mind, but I do find that they sometimes become open to the reality of evolution.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
I suppose the Earth is pretty young at a sprightly 4.5 billion years old. I mean in comparison to the universe's nearly 14 billion years this planet is still a fetus in comparison. ;)

Looncall

That's good, but with fundies what they really want to cling to is original sin. Without Adam and Eve, they don't get to wallow in all that delicious automatic feeling of sinfulness.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Let's see, teach evolution from 1st grade through college as if it is a fact. Is it the eovlutionists that are brainwashed?

Evolution was never even mentioned by the teachers at my schools (so far as I remember) until I got to around late in my freshman year of highschool. I wish they had bothered to educate me earlier in my childhood like you suggest, it would have spared me from a lot of my parents' ignorance passing down to me in my middle school and early highschool years.

outhouse

Atheistically

Ok so your a young earther, dont be ashamed of your belief, lets discus it.

how can so many departments be wrong, like geology, anthropology, astrology and all the other different departments you have to trash to accept a young earth?

Man of Faith

Ok so your a young earther, dont be ashamed of your belief, lets discus it.

how can so many departments be wrong, like geology, anthropology, astrology and all the other different departments you have to trash to accept a young earth?

Trust me I'm not ashamed of being a YEC, but proud of it. All departments are wrong because they assume evolution to be true up front. All evidence is interpreted under the assumption that evolution is true, it is not questioned.