• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You tube Video of Dog Giving Hitler Salute= A Hate Crime

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Or just a joke in bad taste?
Man who filmed dog giving Nazi salutes fined £800 | UK news | The Guardian
mopsz_n%C3%A1ci_%C3%BCdv%C3%B6zlet.jpg

Now obviously the courts thought it was a hate crime worthy of a hefty fine £800 which amounts to about $1,116.23 USD, I think this is insane but I don't live there. Do you think it was justified to fine him or is this just another PC over reaction backed up by law?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
People on that side of the Atlantic cannot be trusted with the kind of free speech we enjoy here.

Of course, we can't be trusted either, but we demand that right anyway.
100777322-jcpenney-hitler-teapot.600x400.jpg

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Now obviously the courts thought it was a hate crime worthy of a hefty fine £800 which amounts to about $1,116.23 USD, I think this is insane but I don't live there. Do you think it was justified to fine him or is this just another PC over reaction backed up by law?
My guess is that there's context involved.
To me, posting that video on a "Don't Dogs Do the Darndest Things" site would be quite different from posting it on an alt-right place.
And there's a huge grey area in between such different contexts.
Tom

Shad

Veteran Member
UK goes for softball "crimes" these days. It can not address its major criminal issues.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
You might laugh about it now, but it won't be so funny when we start seeing dogs rounding up cats and sending them off to the camps.

Altfish

Veteran Member
If you read the linked article you will understand why he was fined. It wasn't just a crazy video on a random youtube site.

It was a dog doing Zieg Hiel salutes to videos saying things like, "The centrepiece of your video consists of you repeating the phrase ‘gas the Jews’ over and over again as a command to a dog, which then reacts."

The fact it was a dog saluting videos was almost irrelevant. It was racist posts on a racist website.

To be honest, he got off lightly.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
If you read the linked article you will understand why he was fined. It wasn't just a crazy video on a random youtube site.

It was a dog doing Zieg Hiel salutes to videos saying things like, "The centrepiece of your video consists of you repeating the phrase ‘gas the Jews’ over and over again as a command to a dog, which then reacts."

The fact it was a dog saluting videos was almost irrelevant. It was racist posts on a racist website.

Still, it strikes me as rather Orwellian to criminalize mere words and thoughts, regardless of how irrational and repugnant they may be.

Yerda

Veteran Member

I saw it on his youtube channel. Which racist site was it on?

Jumi

There is also a good reason why neonazis aren't tolerated in Europe and you get punished for it faster than anything else. I just wish they'd extend the same measures to other extremists.

Stanyon

WWMRD?

If he posted it on an alleged "racist" site it tells me that at least some "racists" have a sense of humour if they liked it and I'm pretty sure the dog will not be leading the 1st Hund Reich in the U.K. anytime soon much less gassing anyone en masse but that also depends on what his owners feed him. I'd say it was a joke as he stated and he may well have been poking fun at Nazis in the process along with his stated purpose of annoying his girlfriend which tells me that money may very well have played a large role in the judges decision to fine the guy that much. As I said, I live in the states and thus far we don't have laws like this as far as I know and I hope we never do which is another reason why I despise some of what the PC culture seems to be have been trying to do for years- we don't need this.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

I have found that this is usually the case when people complain of hate crime laws. A strawman of what the fine was for is much easier to be outrageous about than the act that they really did.