• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You Have Insufficient Privileges To Post Here

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
What gives? I went to the Discuss Individual Religions section, and it told me "DIRs are forums intended to be used by members of specific groups only. In order to post within the DIRs, we now ask that you select DIRs that you belong to by visiting your account details. Please do not select more than two or three DIRs." Sure, fine. After looking around at religions I actually identify with, I concluded about three of them I understand Abrahamic religion, Non-Revealed, and Pantheism. When I went to the section again, I was told "You Have Insufficient Privileges To Post Here." I'm not sure if it's a deal where I have to wait awhile, post more and prove I'm not a spambot (I'm really not, honest (but maybe that's just what a spambot would want you to believe ;) )), pay for premium services, or what. Maybe I need to do a secret handshake?

Can someone explain this? Oh, and hi, I'm Samantha Rinne.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Go to your profile, 'personal details', and check the boxes of at most 3 DIRs you want to post in.

It may take a while to activate.

Liu

Just wait a couple minutes, then it should work fine.
Also, one can choose more than 3 DIRs from the list. (Or is there any rule against it?)

And welcome, btw.
Nice to meet another fellow pantheist.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Also, one can choose more than 3 DIRs from the list. (Or is there any rule against it?)
One is only supposed to choose at most three or else the point of the DIR system is void.

Liu

I remember the discussion from back when the feature was added, and while the admins first spoke of 3 DIRs at most, they dropped that after some counter-arguments. Haven't heard that it was brought up again.

Well, I depends on what one means by "identify", but I could argue to fit into about 10 of the 11 DIRs (only gave myself posting rights of 6 so far as I haven't had much of a reason to want to post in the others yet), and haven't encountered any complains.

Euronymous

SSilence
Konnichiwa...

hatsune_miku_chibi_colored_by_chipmunkintheblender-d498wbh.png

Samantha Rinne

Yeah, I'm syncretic, but I don't really identify with any of the syncretic religions listed. And I don't like atheists much (I like agnostics, because I find them far more honest). I've studied dharmic religion enough to understand it, but not enough I could realistically debate in such thread.

I could technically belong in about 6, but I want to see if I can follow the rules, since the last religion forum I was in, I was banned, apparently for being insufferable.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I was banned, apparently for being insufferable.

There are a few here I would call insufferable, mostly about politics, or adopt that posture to provoke debate. But that's why there is an option to hide certain people's posts.

Based on your thread here, you'll fit right in amongst a quite diverse collection of characters.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
What gives? I went to the Discuss Individual Religions section, and it told me "DIRs are forums intended to be used by members of specific groups only. In order to post within the DIRs, we now ask that you select DIRs that you belong to by visiting your account details. Please do not select more than two or three DIRs." Sure, fine. After looking around at religions I actually identify with, I concluded about three of them I understand Abrahamic religion, Non-Revealed, and Pantheism. When I went to the section again, I was told "You Have Insufficient Privileges To Post Here." I'm not sure if it's a deal where I have to wait awhile, post more and prove I'm not a spambot (I'm really not, honest (but maybe that's just what a spambot would want you to believe ;) )), pay for premium services, or what. Maybe I need to do a secret handshake?

I have insufficient privileges to answer this.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I could technically belong in about 6, but I want to see if I can follow the rules, since the last religion forum I was in, I was banned, apparently for being insufferable.
I'm fairly insufferable, and I am still here :)
The point to the DIRs is to prevent trolling, however mild or inadvertent. If you're a Hindu and want to discuss some aspect of Hinduism with other Hindus, you don't want some Abrahamic posting about how much you need the One True Religion or something.
Tom

Samantha Rinne

Lemme put it this way, I was previously in City-Data forum. I was in a thread called "Christians Cannot Defend What They Claim" and managed to find that one of the posters, as an atheist, had basically proved nothing. So I'm like "c'mon you atheists claim Christians can't defend what they claim, but here you are and the last five posts you've said either were that I should believe what you say just because, or absence of evidence arguments, where's YOUR proof?"

Yeah... ummm. I have no excuse for that.

I'm actually glad you have this DIR system, it saves some of the nuisance of debates when one actually just wants to talk with other Christians or Buddhists or whatever, and someone tries to get into whether or not what you believe is right.

I remember the discussion from back when the feature was added, and while the admins first spoke of 3 DIRs at most, they dropped that after some counter-arguments. Haven't heard that it was brought up again.

Well, I depends on what one means by "identify", but I could argue to fit into about 10 of the 11 DIRs (only gave myself posting rights of 6 so far as I haven't had much of a reason to want to post in the others yet), and haven't encountered any complains.

I think I'll stick with 5 or so that I feel comfy with. 3 is too narrow, but at least 5 or 6 I can't say I want anything to do with.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Greetings!
Also watch out for restricted non-religious forums which don't require
signing up for. Post in those accidentally, & they'll ding ya!

But at least these sneaky predatory moderators give us free grub (if you sneak past the doorman).
th

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
******Moderation Post*******

Rule 10 says the following:

10. Debating in Non-debate Forums or Posting in DIR/ONLY Forums
Religious forums is structured to provide spaces for many different kinds of conversations. Different kinds of conversations belong in different areas of the forum:

1) Debates should be kept to the debate areas of the forums, including Religious Debates, General Debates, and Political Debates. Debating anywhere other than these forums may result in moderation. Same Faith Debates is governed by special rules described here. Only members of the specified groups(s) can participate in these threads.

2) All DIR (Discuss Individual Religions) forums are for the use of members who identify with those groups or practices. Debating is not permitted in DIRs; debates between members of specified groups should be posted in Same Faith Debates. Members who do not identify with a DIR group may only post respectful questions; we recommend creating a thread in the Religions Q&A instead where there is more freedom to comment. DIR forums are not to be used as a cover to bash others outside of the DIR group.

3) The Political World forum has several "only" subforums that are for the use of members who identify with those political leanings. Members who do not identify with those political leanings are not allowed to post there. The staff more strictly moderate Rule 10 violations where there is some other rule violation involved, such as preaching in a DIR or trolling a political forum a member doesn't belong to. More benign violations may be subject to informal reminders or moving threads to the appropriate location.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The goal of the 2-3 suggestion is to encourage discussion within reasonable groups and discourage 'outsiders' from disrupting that discussion. Having more DIRs selected than that isn't a violation in and of itself, but it *does* mean we take disruption of discussions much more seriously.