• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yoga

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm considering attending a yoga class...

Any practitioners care to offer any advice, comments...

Many thanks.

Shuddhasattva

Make sure to buy the most expensive organic rubber mat, and if you've got the opportunity to do freestyle routines, pick the postures that give you the best view of the spandex-clad rest of the class.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I went to my first class yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes it is time to buy a mat, but not an expensive one!

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
As well as posture work, we did breathing exercises, relaxation periods and what I might suggest was hypnosis. I feel there was a Buddhist flavour to it, too (a la Kabat-Zinn). So rather eclectic.

The mat has been purchased!

Thanks for the congrats. I was a bit concerned (53, stiff as a board, dodgy back) but the teacher was excellent I thought and am looking forward to next time already!

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Been doing hatha yoga exercises at home for over 40 years. People do not believe me when I tell them my age and I have absolutely no health problems. Also my weight and waistline has not increased in decades. Be careful not to force yourself into any asana that is painful or difficult.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Been doing hatha yoga exercises at home for over 40 years. People do not believe me when I tell them my age and I have absolutely no health problems. Also my weight and waistline has not increased in decades. Be careful not to force yourself into any asana that is painful or difficult.

I can believe it! I know a couple of people who are long term practitioners; both are 60+ and both look in their 30s!

Thanks for the caution. The teacher regularly emphasises only do what and as much as you are comfortable with.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I do 15-20 minutes a day of hatha yoga. Certainly not to be confused with classical Yoga, as outlined in Patanjali's Yoga sutras.

Kerr

I'm considering attending a yoga class...

Any practitioners care to offer any advice, comments...

Many thanks.
No advice, but I just wanted to say that you definately should try it out :yes:. Yoga is very healthy even if you are just a casual user like me (I train yoga once a week).

BSM1

What? Me worry?
[qu
ote=Magog;3341126]Ok, been going for a month n loving it.

Can anyone recommend a good basic DVD?
[/QUOTE]

Stay away from ones with young ladies in tight fitting yoga outfits. :D

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Make sure to buy the most expensive organic rubber mat, and if you've got the opportunity to do freestyle routines, pick the postures that give you the best view of the spandex-clad rest of the class.

LOL. This is full of win.