• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yikes! The roof fell in!

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Well not exactly, but about half of the (very old) thin plastic decorative lining to the ceiling in one room seemingly collapsed onto the floor whilst I slept quite oblivious to such. I had noticed signs of impending doom earlier - as to a roof leak in this room (sorted) - and perhaps the electrical rewiring quite recently contributed to this. But I was a bit surprised as to how brittle and useless the plastic had become, even though I have seen similar in other older plastics. Hardly took a few minutes to remove that which remained, and time to remove all the rest of such I fear, as to the foam plastic tiles in other rooms. Perhaps a nudge from God (as to doing something), and isn't plastic so wonderful. :eek:

roof-building.gif

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Well not exactly, but about half of the (very old) thin plastic decorative lining to the ceiling in one room seemingly collapsed onto the floor whilst I slept quite oblivious to such. I had noticed signs of impending doom earlier - as to a roof leak in this room (sorted) - and perhaps the electrical rewiring quite recently contributed to this. But I was a bit surprised as to how brittle and useless the plastic had become, even though I have seen similar in other older plastics. Hardly took a few minutes to remove that which remained, and time to remove all the rest of such I fear, as to the foam plastic tiles in other rooms. Perhaps a nudge from God (as to doing something), and isn't plastic so wonderful. :eek:

View attachment 82159
This seems to happen eventually. I remember when I was a child my bedroom was beneath the balcony and whenever it rained there was a specific spot by the door when water would drip in. Eventually one night the whole spot of that ceiling collapsed. It was a well-made ceiling, not modern.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
This seems to happen eventually. I remember when I was a child my bedroom was beneath the balcony and whenever it rained there was a specific spot by the door when water would drip in. Eventually one night the whole spot of that ceiling collapsed. It was a well-made ceiling, not modern.
Not sure when the house was built but probably at least six decades ago. I think these decorative panels are a fire hazard anyway and should have been removed long ago to be honest - the others are polystyrene - so probably even worse. :eek:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

View attachment 82159
Roof leaks require immediate attention.
Otherwise you get ants, rot, & lawyers.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
That was sorted fairly early - but not the damage done by the water entering perhaps. I have two rooms where such has occurred - one the fault of a neighbour and where perhaps I should have insisted they repaired all likely damage but I settled for stopping the leak - since it was caught early. As to anything else, this can be added to the list of things needed doing to the house overall. It hasn't been redecorated in several decades. The rewiring done recently as a necessity has cost me enough. :cry:

We Never Know

No Slack

View attachment 82159
I've had a metal roof for years and am very pleased with it.

Hopefully you will get your fixed soon.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
My house roof was looking a bit sorry for years, and I kept a vigilant lookout for leaks. I finally replaced it and it was so nice not to worry when our seasons would change from dry summer to wet winter here. That was usually accompanied by a windstorm. Every year I worried about how much more damage I would see. I should be set for life now.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
No roof leaks, but there's a patch on the living room ceiling that gets soapy water on it...

If my son is stuck too long on the toilet, he will take a bathroom cup, and mix a sweet smelling concoction using soap and shampoo and pour in into the vent(which apparently drips out right there). Perhaps its to cover other bathroom smells?

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Some years ago on Christmas eve we had a bit (sarcasm ) of a storm that lifted about 20 ft by 15 feet of roof tiles and dropped them on our new car that we had collected the day before.

We had a hell of a job with insurance for car damage, both the building insurers and car insurers denying responsibility.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My house roof was looking a bit sorry for years, and I kept a vigilant lookout for leaks. I finally replaced it and it was so nice not to worry when our seasons would change from dry summer to wet winter here. That was usually accompanied by a windstorm. Every year I worried about how much more damage I would see. I should be set for life now.
That's a risky approach.
Damage can become immediately compelling,
but with roofers scheduling months in advance.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Same thing happened to an ex of mine. A tree branch punched a hole in the roof above her room, and instead of getting it patched her family threw up tarps and the like to keep moisture out. That didn't work and the ceiling collapsed in. Piles of insulation were everywhere. It was awful