• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yes indeed, another member.

Tobi

And this one's a Wiccan Atheist.

Right. I'll be happy to defend that position later, but just to summarise: Wicca is a way of looking at the world that suits me, personally. I'm not going to try to convince anyone to come dance in the forest with me.
But where many Wiccans see gods with traits and personalities, I see only the forces of nature. That these forces are part of the natural order and not beyond it only adds to the beauty I perceive. In my mind, the mysteries of the world are often surpassed by the truths behind them, waiting for us to reach out and grab them with Science.

On a more general note, I'm twenty years old, Swedish, and I'm in Scotland, studying towards a degree in Neuroscience. Nice to meet you.

.lava

Veteran Member
hi :) welcome. neuroscience, that is attractive. how many years are you going to study? i hope i have chance to learn one or two things from you.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
And this one's a Wiccan Atheist.

Right. I'll be happy to defend that position later, but just to summarise: Wicca is a way of looking at the world that suits me, personally. I'm not going to try to convince anyone to come dance in the forest with me.
But where many Wiccans see gods with traits and personalities, I see only the forces of nature. That these forces are part of the natural order and not beyond it only adds to the beauty I perceive. In my mind, the mysteries of the world are often surpassed by the truths behind them, waiting for us to reach out and grab them with Science.

On a more general note, I'm twenty years old, Swedish, and I'm in Scotland, studying towards a degree in Neuroscience. Nice to meet you.

Hello, and welcome. Despite being an atheist, as a Wiccan do you still believe that magical/supernatural/paranormal, etc. forces, while not exactly anthropomorphic or sentient (i.e. no god being), might exist in the universe?

Tobi

.lava: I'm in my second year out of four. Most likely, though, I'm taking a gap year after the summer.

Hello, and welcome. Despite being an atheist, as a Wiccan do you still believe that magical/supernatural/paranormal, etc. forces, while not exactly anthropomorphic or sentient (i.e. no god being), might exist in the universe?

Now there's a question of definitions. I'm perfectly happy to acknowledge some "paranormal" phenomena, but I would not call them that. I'm of the mind that anything that can be observed can be studied scientifically. And it should be. We just shouldn't call it "para" anything.

(As someone headed for a degree in Neuroscience, of course, I'm very interested in people with "paranormal" abilities.)

As for the magical and the supernatural, same thing there. If a phenomenon can be observed, directly or indirectly, it can be explained (in theory, at least), and is no less interesting for not being mystical. If it can not be observed it can not have any effect on reality, thus its existence has no bearing on our own.

Spells and rituals, now... I believe their only effects are in the minds of those who are aware of them. (I have still taken part in a few rituals, though, and I am fond of them. The human mind likes a bit of irrational symbolism every now and then)

There is much we don't know about the universe, of course. And you never learn more than when you realise you are wrong.

Edit: smitten508: It does not. I have not yet read anything specifically on the druidic tradition. I am still fairly new to the neo-pagan path.

Last edited:

Nanda

Polyanna
Hi and Welcome! I've been very interested in Wiccan Atheism myself. I've always found Wicca to be a beautiful religion, and I love the ceremony that goes along with it - I just don't believe that natural forces can be called upon, or that the ceremony does anything apart from making the practitioner feel more centered/focused. Any thoughts on this?

Tobi

what do you hope this forum will suppy you with?

I'm looking to learn a bit about how people who can articulate themselves view their own and others' faiths. I like discussing philosophy/religion, but I have few friends who are not atheists, and they are generally not very interested in discussing religion at any length.

Welcome to RF!

Thank you.

Hi and Welcome! I've been very interested in Wiccan Atheism myself. I've always found Wicca to be a beautiful religion, and I love the ceremony that goes along with it - I just don't believe that natural forces can be called upon, or that the ceremony does anything apart from making the practitioner feel more centered/focused. Any thoughts on this?

I think that's pretty close to where I stand.
I haven't considered myself a Wiccan very long, but so far I haven't run into any problems combining the two. (Before, I simply considered myself an atheist.)
As you said, what rituals I've taken part in have helped me center/ tune myself in with the world. But I don't expect it to tune itself in with me.

Hi and welcome :)

It's nice to be here.

GiantHouseKey

Greetings

Welcome to RF! I hope you enjoy it here.

Our religions seem to overlap in many areas. Look out for PMs from me concerning the similarities and differences with what we believe in the near future - As i'm still searching for exactly what it is that I have discovered religiously.... That and i'm always interested to learn about religious positions that I know little or nothing about. Whilst I know a considerable amount about neopaganism and wicca in particular, i've never met an atheist wiccan, so it'll be interesting to speak with you

Anyway, enough of my waffle ;)

GhK.