• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Year and a Half to Join the Church?

I talked with the head person of the adult classes at a Parish to learn about and possibly join the Catholic church. She told me it can take from a year and a half to two years or more before you are allowed to become Catholic. I thought - wow! Two years? Yikes!

My sister said it should take only one year and to contact another Parish. The person I talked with did say other Parish's let people join after one year.

So how long should it take? Should I contact another Parish if I really want to join?

A

angellous_evangellous

It's good to learn about the faith before you commit to it.

I say this - if you find a church that nurtures you, go with the flow and wait out the year or two. It will be worth it.

xkatz

It's good to learn about the faith before you commit to it.

I say this - if you find a church that nurtures you, go with the flow and wait out the year or two. It will be worth it.

I agree. Also as to the OP I haven't heard of that. I once looked into the local Catholic Church here and if I remember correctly, you have to wait six months minimum. But if it's two years, then I say try it unless you have strong doubt

I'm actually in contact with three parishes. The one I've been going to that says a year and a half to two years. Another one that says one year, and the one closest to me. I'm going to try to talk with the Father of the one closest to me on Saturday if I'm up to it after four long nights of work.

Jordan St. Francis

Even if it takes over a year to officially become Catholic, you can begin living the Catholic spiritual journey immediately: in prayer, spiritual communion, works of charity, and attending weekly Mass.

I emailed the Father of the parish and asked him if it's mandatory that I attend a year and half or can I possibly join earlier. He has not emailed me back yet. I wonder if my question made him mad or something.

What are works of charity? That means being a good person and helping people, saying good words, not getting angry, being nice, saying uplifting words, etc...? Or does it mean I have to go the food bank and volunteer again?

Jordan St. Francis

Yes, what you mentioned above are a very good start. There are many different ways to be charitable, and the first step is cultivating a charitable heart, so that we can bring this virtue into everything we do.

You do not have to volunteer at a foodbank. God calls us to do different things. But if you feel it is something you could do, it is certainly a wonderful way to fulfill Christ's command to love our neighbours, especially the poor who are particularly dear to Our Lord's Heart.

ZooGirl02

Well, when I joined the Catholic Church, it took me approximately 9 months to join. Of course, I had already studied up on Catholicism so I pretty much already knew what the Church taught. However, Catholicism is a complex religion so it is necessary to take a relatively long period of classes in order to fully understand the faith.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
What you are talking about is a series of classes throughout the liturgical year. These classes are called RCIA and they are usually held weekly. (Rites of Christian Initiation for Adults is what I think that stands for.)

In the parishes around here they start in September and culminate in confirmation at Easter, even though they run all year. During the summer they are usually just bible studies of various sorts and the formal training starts in September.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
What you are talking about is a series of classes throughout the liturgical year. These classes are called RCIA and they are usually held weekly. (Rites of Christian Initiation for Adults is what I think that stands for.)

In the parishes around here they start in September and culminate in confirmation at Easter, even though they run all year. During the summer they are usually just bible studies of various sorts and the formal training starts in September.

That's what I was thinking as well. My local Rabbi gives similar classes for Judaism, and every convert must go through them, as well as show a decent command of Jewish learning and practice, before they can finish the process.

With the Catholic Church being as ritual and structured as it is, I would have been surprised if they did not do something very similar. But I'm sure that Keith can continue to go to mass and practice while this process is occurring, correct? If so, then it's not as terrible as it would sound, he can be a Catholic in almost every way but name while he works towards full membership.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Yes - Keith can attend all Catholic services and masses. However, he will not be able to take communion till he is confirmed. As for confession, I don't believe he will go to confession till toward the end of the confirmation process either. However, nothing's stopping him from simply going to a priest during confession times to talk or ask questions.

When he goes to Mass, he can pray, stand, kneel, etc along with everyone else - but when it comes time to actually partake of the Body and Blood, he can go forward if he likes but instead of taking communion, he can cross his arms and bow his head and the priest will give him a blessing instead. Or he can simply sit at his seat. No one will think either action is weird or wrong.

Brother Bob

KIETH CHRISTIAN.
1. My pastor is so swamped he doesn't even look at his emails for days at a time.
2. a) Yes, exactly b) no, you don't have to volunteer at the food bank again...if you really don't want to.