• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yajurveda 15:13 “learn that part of the Veda which deals with the Unity of God” ONENESS Of G-d

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I believe the Upanishads are merely human wisdom and sometimes not correct.
Wisdom is a scarce commodity. That is why we term it as divine wisdom. What is correct and what is wrong is a subjective thing. Yeah, people say Vedas and BhagawadGita are words of God. I am an atheist Hindu, therefore, I go by what is being said and why (purpose, 'hetu'); and not because it is a word of Gods.

gnostic

The Lost One
I believe the Upanishads are merely human wisdom and sometimes not correct.
Every damn books in the world were written by humans, including those are termed as "scripture".

The originals, the translations, editions, handwritten or printed, long and short, "revealed" or "dharma". They are all man-made.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Every damn books in the world were written by humans, including those are termed as "scripture".
The originals, the translations, editions, handwritten or printed, long and short, "revealed" or "dharma". They are all man-made.
And that is just one's opinion and a faulty one. Right?
Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Varuna is my chief landscaping helper.
Varuna was never into archtecture/landscaping. He was the Chief of the Ministry of Law like Jody Wilson-Raybould in the Canadian cabinet (at one time, Prime Minister also). :)

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Varuna was never into archtecture/landscaping. He was the Chief of the Ministry of Law like Jody Wilson-Raybould in the Canadian cabinet (at one time, Prime Minister also). :)

No idea what you're talking about. I was refering to Varuna, the rain God. He knows how to make grass grow.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
No idea what you're talking about. I was refering to Varuna, the rain God. He knows how to make grass grow.
@Aupmanyav
Does one mean?:
Jody Wilson-Raybould PC MP (born March 23, 1971) is a Kwakwaka’wakw Canadian politician and the Liberal Member of Parliament for the riding of Vancouver Granville. She was sworn in as Minister of Justice of Canada on November 4, 2015; the firstIndigenous person to be named to that post. Before entering Canadian federal politics, she was a provincial Crown prosecutor, B.C. Treaty Commissioner and Regional Chief of the B.C. Assembly of First Nations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jody_Wilson-Raybould

What was the period when she was "Prime Minister also" . I don't think she had become one,yet. Right?
In American she is a red-"Indian".

Regards
@Vinayaka
Varuna never ever grew grass in Canada? Varuna never came to Canada. Did it? Please

Regards

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
@Aupmanyav
Do es one mean :
Jody Wilson-Raybould PC MP (born March 23, 1971) is a Kwakwaka’wakw Canadian politician and the Liberal Member of Parliament for the riding of Vancouver Granville. She was sworn in as Minister of Justice of Canada on November 4, 2015; the firstIndigenous person to be named to that post. Before entering Canadian federal politics, she was a provincial Crown prosecutor, B.C. Treaty Commissioner and Regional Chief of the B.C. Assembly of First Nations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jody_Wilson-Raybould

What was the period when she was "Prime Minister also" also. I don't think she had become one. Right?
Regards
Just as you and Aup ignore what I say about Indian politics, I ignore what you guys say about Canadian politics. I'd never heard of her until now, and you guys should both know how to google.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Paarsurrey, at one time Varuna was the Chief Law-giver to Aryans, that is why called him Prime Minister. :)
Varuna never came to Canada. Did it?
Varuna may not have visited Canada, but according to Aryans, at one time, he had control over all people in the world. :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
@Vinayaka and @Aupmanyav are actually both correct. ;)

Mitra-Varuna: Mitra and Varuna are two deities (devas) frequently referred to in the ancient Indian scripture of the Rigveda.[1] They are both considered Ādityas, or deities connected with the Sun; and they are protectors of the righteous order of rta. Their connection is so close that they are frequently linked in the dvandva compound Mitra–Varuna.

Varuna ... is the Hindu god of water and the celestial ocean, as well as a god of law of the underwater world. ...

von bek

@Vinayaka and @Aupmanyav are actually both correct. ;)

Mitra-Varuna: Mitra and Varuna are two deities (devas) frequently referred to in the ancient Indian scripture of the Rigveda.[1] They are both considered Ādityas, or deities connected with the Sun; and they are protectors of the righteous order of rta. Their connection is so close that they are frequently linked in the dvandva compound Mitra–Varuna.

Varuna ... is the Hindu god of water and the celestial ocean, as well as a god of law of the underwater world. ...

Is Varuna equivalent to Poseidon?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Mmmm... maybe in some aspects. Varuna does rule the oceans. But I don't think anyone ever had the upper hand over Poseidon. In the Rāmāyana, for example, Rāma prayed to Varuna and got no answer for a few days. On the fourth day Rāma then threatened to use celestial weapons to vaporize the oceans. Varuna appeared, made obeisance to Rāma, apologized profusely, explaining that he was trying to think of a way to answers Rāma's prayers. Also, Varuna is not moody and unpredictable like Poseidon. Varuna also rules over law, order and oaths.

von bek

Mmmm... maybe in some aspects. Varuna does rule the oceans. But I don't think anyone ever had the upper hand over Poseidon. In the Rāmāyana, for example, Rāma prayed to Varuna and got no answer for a few days. On the fourth day Rāma then threatened to use celestial weapons to vaporize the oceans. Varuna appeared, made obeisance to Rāma, apologized profusely, explaining that he was trying to think of a way to answers Rāma's prayers. Also, Varuna is not moody and unpredictable like Poseidon. Varuna also rules over law, order and oaths.

Very cool. Thanks. Poseidon is also known as the god of earthquakes. Homer calls him the earth shaker. There is a really funny moment in the Iliad where Poseidon is getting hyped and begins rocking the earth so much that Hades cries out for him to stop, lest he split the earth open and expose the Underworld, letting the ghosts escape. :D

Poseidon also has connections with horses and horse racing.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
In the Rāmāyana, for example, Rāma prayed to Varuna and got no answer for a few days.
Not really prayed but humbly requested. By Rama's time (i,.e., by the time Aryans had settled in India and were assimilated with the indigenous people adopting the indigeous Gods and Goddesses), both Varuna and Indra had lost their prominence. It was then Vishnu, Shiva and the Mother goddess, Durga. And Rama was an avatara of Vishnu.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Not really prayed but humbly requested.

True, I think of the gods "praying" to each other as no different than family members asking for help or favors. Prayer isn't really a good word to use in these cases.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Varuna was more like Ouranos, the sky God, father of all and maintainer of law at one time. He became like Posiedon at a later stage. At first he controlled the sky, earth and the underworld. When other Gods took over the sky and earth realms (Zeus for Greeks and Indra for Indian Aryans), then Varuna was relegated to the Lordship of waters, that is the Netherworld. That is how he became the Lord of the Seas.

von bek

Varuna was more like Ouranos, the sky God, father of all and maintainer of law at one time. He became like Posiedon at a later stage. At first he controlled the sky, earth and the underworld. When other Gods took over the sky and earth realms (Zeus for Greeks and Indra for Indian Aryans), then Varuna was relegated to the Lordship of waters, that is the Netherworld. That is how he became the Lord of the Seas.

Yes. Some things I have read made me think Varuna was like Ouranos, other things made him seem more like Poseidon. This makes sense to me. Thank you to @Jainarayan and yourself for answering my question.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes. Some things I have read made me think Varuna was like Ouranos, other things made him seem more like Poseidon. This makes sense to me. Thank you to @Jainarayan and yourself for answering my question.

Keep in mind the IE gods all have a common PIE root. It It was later that they diverged, re-converged, borrowed characteristics. Not unlike the IE languages themselves.

von bek

Keep in mind the IE gods all have a common PIE root. It It was later that they diverged, re-converged, borrowed characteristics. Not unlike the IE languages themselves.

Have you ever read anything by Robert Graves? In his books The Greek Myths and the White Goddess he spends some time tracing how the deities relate to each other through the migration of populations over Europe, the Near East, and India. There are scholarly critiques of Graves' writing, many of the criticisms he would probably accept as he always viewed the subject through the lens of a poet. His main thesis in the White Goddess is that the original religion of Europe was a massive cult of the Great Goddess, worshipped in tripartite form as maiden, mother, and crone. Now, even if you have never read Graves, that probably sounds familiar to you. Wiccans have taken this idea (Graves is not the only source for the claim) and ran with it. Personally, I have my doubts. Goddess worship was obviously important in ancient Europe, many important and powerful female deities were worshipped across the continent. However, looking at Mycenaean art we can see evidence of a religion that was already more diverse than simple "goddess worship." The names of many gods, including Dionysos, appear in Linear B script. The latter is particularly important because some argue that Dionysos was a later deity imported to the Greek world, possibly of Asiatic origin. However, seeing that the Mycenaeans already knew of and worshipped him, we know he is an ancient god and would be hard-pressed to claim him as being foreign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycenaean_religion

Sorry, I digress. :)