• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yajurveda: “This battle is the source of thy prosperity; hence we goad thee to that battle”

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Wrong. You know the words, mistranslated as they are but you don't know the context. Stop, just stop.
Please give the verses where their context has been given. The context is not in some preceding and some following verses, as is usual for a book. If I missed, please give the verses number where the context is. One may use for the context the translation that one likes most.Right?Please
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Why did you not start with the Rig Veda? Or, have you already read it? I ask because the Rig is usually seen as the oldest and therefore seems like the best place to start. How can you talk about what beliefs are "Vedic" and what is a later addition if you skip the very beginning?
There was a discussion going in the Hinduism DIR Forum, please refer to post #33 of the forum, one poster believed that Western translations of Veda was unbiased while the other did not believe it . I decided to go for a translation by a Hindu. I googled and incidentally the only translation in English available by a Hindu was of Yajurveda by Devi Chand in the public domain. So, I started reading it.
I have now started reading Rigveda by Ralph T.H.Griffith who is a Westerner, now the objection may be made that he was a Western missionary so he translated it in a way to convert Hindus to Christianity. But, there is no other translation available by a Hindu in public domain, at least I could no find it, though I tried my best.
But I don't restrict others, when I quote from Yajurveda by Devi Chand, they could prove it wrong by quoting from a translation by one of their liking to resolve the issue. In most of the cases it will make no difference or much difference for instance if the word "battle" is used every translation will have the same or its synonym, nobody will use its antonym the word "peace" in its place.
Moreover,I am not a follower of Devi Chand and won't mind if his translation is proved wrong. Anybody or everybody is welcome to prove him wrong, verse for verse, not the whole book, in its totality. Right? Please
Regards

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Please give the verses where their context has been given. The context is not in some preceding and some following verses, as is usual for a book. If I missed, please give the verses number where the context is. One may use for the context the translation that one likes most.Right?Please
Regards

HISTORICAL CONTEXT.

Not everything is a verse.

von bek

I googled and incidentally the only translation in English available by a Hindu was of Yajurveda by Devi Chand in the public domain. So, I started reading it.

Makes sense. By chance, do you have access to a library that may have more translations available? I do not know your situation or even which country you live in. I do find it a little troubling how seldom people seem to think to take advantage of what a library offers. (This is not a rant at you specifically.) There are a great number of books and translations that are not available online. Any serious research into a subject will almost always require offline work.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Google provides online books which are in the public domain.
I put the following words in my browser "online books by google in the public domain".
I get the following first entry:

Google books : Free Books : Free Texts : Download & Streaming ...
https://archive.org/details/googlebooks
Oct 24, 2008 - Digitized books from many different libraries from the Google Book ... While these books may be old enough to be in the public domain, but ..

OOOOOOO
This is the symbol of such books
notfound.png
by google, in my opinion.
Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Makes sense. By chance, do you have access to a library that may have more translations available? I do not know your situation or even which country you live in. I do find it a little troubling how seldom people seem to think to take advantage of what a library offers. (This is not a rant at you specifically.) There are a great number of books and translations that are not available online. Any serious research into a subject will almost always require offline work.
Not necessarily. Please
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
HISTORICAL CONTEXT.
Not everything is a verse.
I don't think it has any relevance to historical context :

"Prof. Stuart Piggott remarks that the distinction between history and pre-history in India is a peculiarly elusive one. The reasons for his remark are, while the Pre-history of Western Asiatic countries like Mesopotamia, Egypt etc. ended immediately after 3000 B. C. when records of dynasties, King-lists came to be written which can be interpreted to form the outline of a fairly reliable chronology in terms of years before the Christian era, in India although writing was known in the third millennium B.C. as is evident from the Indus seals these have not yet been deciphered to help us in preparing an outline of a reliable chronology in terms of years.
Further, there is a big gap between the 3rd millennium B. C. and 650 B. C. during which no written historical materials have been found. As Dr. Smith says, Definite chronological history begins about 650 B. C. for northern India, absolutely certain and precise date of the beginning of the historical period of India, however, is 326 B.C. the date of Alexander’s invasion."
http://www.historydiscussion.net/hi...oric-and-proto-historic-periods-of-india/5703

Sorry! Veda/Yajurveda belong to the per-historic period as per History.
If Vedas existed before 650 B,C., then these don't have any written historical context as it would be just a conjecture as per History. Right? Please

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
If you limit your research into a subject by what you can find online, you really are not that interested.

Yes, I seem to remember buildings that had shelves and shelves of these piles of papers that were neatly stacked on the shelves. There were also long tables where we used to open these piles of papers, read through them, compare them, and write down things we found on our own Right!?

What were they called? :confused:

Oh yes! Libraries, books and notebooks! :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry! Veda/Yajurveda belong to the per-historic period as per History.
If Vedas existed before 650 B,C., then these don't have any written historical context as it would be just a conjecture as per History. Right? Please

Wrong. Thank you.

von bek

Yes, I seem to remember buildings that had shelves and shelves of these piles of papers that were neatly stacked on the shelves. There were also long tables where we used to open these piles of papers, read through them, compare them, and write down things we found on our own Right!?

What were they called? :confused:

Oh yes! Libraries, books and notebooks! :D

When I was a kid, going to the library every two weeks was one of the best parts of life!

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
When I was a kid, going to the library every two weeks was one of the best parts of life!

For sure. I even used to check books out. And read them! :D Now you can go to Barnes & Noble, have a latte and a chocolate cheesecake brownie... and read a book cover to cover... taking notes... into Word... on your laptop... using their wi-fi.

Who needs the free public library?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Yajurveda: “This battle is the source of thy prosperity; hence we goad thee to that battle”

Yajurveda CHAPTER XXIX

38. The warrior's look is like the thunderous rain-cloud, when,
armed with mail, he seeks the lap of battle. Be thou victorious with
unwounded body, and let the strength of thy armour save thee.
39. With military weapons let us win the Earth, with them the
battle, with cannon let us win the ease-loving army of our foes. War-like
weapons destroy the ambitions of the foeman. Armed with the bow may
we subdue all regions.
40. This bow-string strained on the bow whispers like a woman, and
preserves us in the combat, as a wife, fain to speak, offering advic6,
embraces her affectionate, praiseworthy husband.
41. Just as a learned wife behaves towards her husband, and a
mother towards her child} so these two bow-strings, well procured,
together beat the foes, and in unison scatter asunder, the foes who hate
us.
42. With many a son, father of many daughters, he clangs and
clashes as he goes to battle, with the quiver slung on the back, the born
hero, vanquishes all the scattered armies.
43. The skilful driver, sitting in the conveyance, guides his horses
in the front, in whichever direction he likes. Just as mind keeps the
organs under control, so reins from behind, control the horse. See and
admire the strength of these controlling reins,
44. Warriors with arms in hand, conveying soldiers swiftly along
conveyances, trample upon the foes devoid of friendship, with their
forefeet.
Fast running horses neigh loudly. Soldiers not burdening their
master economically, destroy their foes.
45. Let us honour that aeroplane, each day that passes, with
hearts full of joy, in which are laid necessary ingredients for propelling it,
and gun, cannon, shield, bow, arrow, armour and military equipment of this
warrior.
46. Let our rulers, be partakers of savoury food, long-lived, patient
in adversity, powerful, deep-minded, armed wiih wondrous army, strong
in arrows, robust, possessors of long legs and broad chests, invincible, and
conquerors of numerous hosts.
47. May virtuous people, promoters of truth, protectors, knowers
of God and the vedas, and the Heaven and Earth indestructible in nature,
conduce to our welfare. May God, the Nourisher, save us from sinful con-
duct, guard us, and let not the evil-wisher master us.
48. O brave soldiers give us protection in the army, where there
are commanders, adequate transport arrangements, where arrows and
weapons are used swiftly like a deer, controlled with cow-leather strings,
which pounces upon the enemy forcibly, duly persuaded, and its warriors
run together or go hither and thither in different directions.
https://archive.org/stream/yajurveda029670mbp/yajurveda029670mbp_djvu.txt
It is most about war and little about peace in Veda/Yajurveda. Right? Please
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Yajurveda CHAPTER II

14. Oh God, may Thou be glorified by our praises sung through
Thy Vedas. May Thou promote our knowledge. Oh God, may we
advance our soul. O God Thou controllest the activities of all. Thou
art the embodiment of knowledge. Thou art Omniscient and the Bringer
of victory in battles
. May we prosper and sing Thy praises. I become
pure and holy by following Thy commands.

Prosperity is sought with battles, no mention of peace, Ahimsa, or non-violence.
Also note that a follower of Veda/Yajurveda becomes pure and holy by following the command in Veda/Yajurveda. Is it favoring Atheism or Strong Atheism? I don't think so.
Please
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Yajurveda CHAPTER I

16. The yajna keeps away the thieves, refines and sweetens the
speech, is productive of foodstuffs and is the bestower of knowledge and
vigour. Let the performance of such yajnas be inculcated. May we
through the aid of heroic persons win battles again and again.

The yajna is instrumental in producing rain, may we know thee as
rain producer. We should try to efface the dacoits and exploiters of
impure minds who lead an impious life.
Just as the air with its strong hands of definite motion to and fro
receives the oblations and just as the bright Sun full of luminous beams,
with his faultless rays resolves into atoms the substances put into the fire,
so do God and the scholars preach all sciences for the good of humanity.

Prosperity is sought with battles, no mention of peace, Ahimsa, or non-violence.
Also note that a follower of Veda/Yajurveda becomes pure and holy by following the commands in Veda/Yajurveda. Is it favoring Atheism or Strong Atheism? It is not. Right? Please

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Yajurveda CHAPTER I

32. Those who worship God are not molested by evil-minded foes
neither at home, nor upon pathways and battlefields. I become capable
of acquiring God and the sages.

Also note that a follower of Veda/Yajurveda becomes pure and holy by following the commands in Veda/Yajurveda. Is it favoring Atheism or Strong Atheism? It is not. Right? Please
Those who have one leg in one boat of Atheism and the other leg in Dharma boat should please note that if they don't worship God they will get to harm in terms of the above verse of Veda/Yajurveda. Right? Please

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Yajurveda CHAPTER I

29. The wicked should be removed, the enemies of truth should be
punished ; those fit to be shackled should be cast aside and those opposed
to knowledge should come to grief. Oh destroyer of foes, Thou art not
wrathful, I prepare thee full of virility for battle.
Those who can't tolerate the good of others must be chastised,
and openly condemned. Those who cause harm to others should be
humiliated.
I duly instruct the army to be strong for weakening the foe,
and waging war.

Those who have one leg in one boat of Atheism and the other leg in Dharma boat should please note that if they don't worship God they will get to harm ,in terms of the Verse 32 chapter 1 of Yajurveda given in post#117 . Right? Please

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Yajurveda CHAPTER I

33. Ye two divine performers of harmless sacrifice, come hither
upon a plane with sun-bright exterior, and clearly accomplish your
journey, battle, and yajna with agreeable provisions.
34. O young preachers, having acquired knowledge through
celibacy, just as a learned person, the leader of all, endowed with noble
qualities, brilliant like the sun, highly lauded for his speeches on knowable
conduct, visits all our sons and cattle } so should ye approach and gladden
us, and purify our intellect.
35. O slayer of foes like sun, the slayer of clouds, father of supre-
macy in knowledge, giver of food, noble man, all things are in thy power
today, when wilt thou harness them.
  • Prosperity is sought with battles, no mention of peace, Ahimsa, or non-violence.
  • Also note that a follower of Veda/Yajurveda becomes pure and holy by following the commands in Veda/Yajurveda see post #115 . Is it favoring Atheism or Strong Atheism? It is not. Right? Please
  • Those who have one leg in one boat of Atheism and the other leg in Dharma boat should please note that if they don't worship God they will get to harm ,in terms of the Verse 32 chapter 1 of Yajurveda given in post#117 . Right? Please
  • The basic character of a believer mentioned in the Veda is not of peace but war only due to the collaboration of the Brahmins and the Kshatriyas against the lower classes and the untouchables.All such verses need to be compressed and only some given in every chapter as representative of so many, many many more. Right? Please
Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Yajurveda CHAPTER II

14. Oh God, may Thou be glorified by our praises sung through
Thy Vedas. May Thou promote our knowledge. Oh God, may we
advance our soul. O God Thou controllest the activities of all. Thou
art the embodiment of knowledge. Thou art Omniscient and the Bringer
of victory in battles. May we prosper and sing Thy praises. I become
pure and holy by following Thy commands.

15. May I achieve victory like the victory of Fire and Moon. May
I speed onward with the materials of war. May Fire and Moon, drive
off him who hates us, drive off the man whom we detest. May I remove
that sinful enemy by warlike, military skill and equipment
. May I
achieve victory like the victory of Air and Lightning. May I achieve
happiness through the impulse of knowledge, used for the acquisition
of supremacy. May air and lightning properly employed, drive off
him who hates us, drive of the man whom we dislike. I purify this
ignorant person by the light of knowledge.
  • Prosperity is sought with battles, no mention of peace, Ahimsa, or non-violence.
  • Also note that a follower of Veda/Yajurveda becomes pure and holy by following the commands in Veda/Yajurveda see post #115 . Is it favoring Atheism or Strong Atheism? It is not. Right? Please
  • Those who have one leg in one boat of Atheism and the other leg in Dharma boat should please note that if they don't worship God they will get to harm ,in terms of the Verse 32 chapter 1 of Yajurveda given in post#117 . Right? Please
  • The basic character of a believer mentioned in the Veda is not of peace but war only due to the collaboration of the Brahmins and the Kshatriyas against the lower classes and the untouchables.All such verses need to be compressed and only some given in every chapter as representative of so many, many many more. Right? Please
Regards