• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Yahrzeit" for a close friend

Coming up is a "yahrzeit" for one of my best friends, who died only a few years ago. It's not a real yahrzeit, of course, because we're not related, but I wish there were something I could do to commemorate his life. Any thoughts on how to mourn friends?

I suppose I should focus on comforting his mother and family, and be content that I don't yet have an actual yahrzeit to observe, because in time they will all come.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It sounds real enough to me.

There is in my opinion absolutely nothing wrong with lighting a yarhzeit candle and saying radish in memory of your friend, nor with making a donation in his name. And it is never inappropriate to comfort the family.

But my best suggestion would be: ask your Rabbi.

dantech

Coming up is a "yahrzeit" for one of my best friends, who died only a few years ago. It's not a real yahrzeit, of course, because we're not related, but I wish there were something I could do to commemorate his life. Any thoughts on how to mourn friends?

I suppose I should focus on comforting his mother and family, and be content that I don't yet have an actual yahrzeit to observe, because in time they will all come.
If you have lost one of your parents, you can say the Kadish for your friend.

Other than that, you can offer a Seuda (small meal) on his behalf at your local synagogue. People will make brachot (prayers) in his name with the intention of elevating his Neshama (soul).

You can always visit his grave, and light a 24 hour candle. When it is my father's Yarhtzeit, I do most of these things, and I also fast.

Tumah

Veteran Member
You can bring some cake, orange juice (and a little something for the real men) in the morning after prayers for people to make blessings on. After that, they will say a blessing that the soul of the departed should be elevated.

Some people also donate things that the public will benefit from in the name of the deceased, like prayer-books and things like that, to the synagogue. This way the deceased will gain merit from their use.

Those are things you don't need to be related to do.

Levite

Higher and Higher

Loss is loss. Just because you may not be halachically required to go through formal mourning for someone doesn't mean that you can't mourn them in whatever ways seem suitable to you.

One way is to give tzedakah in his memory. To do some positive action on his behalf is a great way to honor him.

Another way is to learn Torah in his memory. You could host a study session in his name-- invite a bunch of people to learn together, either as a group or various texts in chavruta; or you might commit yourself to learning a whole section of text in his name-- a chapter of Mishnah or Gemara, a book of Tanach, so forth.

Another way might be to host a kiddush or something in his memory.

And in addition, there is nothing that says you can't light a yahrzeit candle for him, recite "El Malei Rachamim" or even kaddish (it's not forbidden to say it for someone you're not required to mourn for, it just isn't mandated). You might also recite some tehillim for him-- Ps. 23, maybe Ps. 91, Ps. 121, and so forth.

Do the things you feel will help you honor his memory and make you feel right.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Loss is loss. Just because you may not be halachically required to go through formal mourning for someone doesn't mean that you can't mourn them in whatever ways seem suitable to you.....

Do the things you feel will help you honor his memory and make you feel right.

Yosef-F,

You have been given some excellent counsel.

I would simply remind you that too often we think of k'vod hamet only in the context of the immediate aftermath of the death of a loved one. However, we who have not yet made that journey have the potential, at least in part, to bring meaning to the lives of the ones we have lost, and respect for the lives they lived, by expressing that respect, that honor, that love and friendship through the way we choose to live our own lives.

Thanks, guys. Very nice suggestions. Yeah, I didn't even think of some of those things... I should probably ask my rabbi, too, I just feel I bug him with a lot of questions.

Last edited:

dantech

Thanks, guys. Very nice suggestions. Yeah, I didn't even think of some of those things... I should probably ask my rabbi, too, I just feel I bug him with a lot of questions.

If your rabbi feels that you are bugging him because you are asking to many questions, then it's time to find a new rabbi.