• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrestler Forfeits Chance At State Championship Because Of Girls . . . And Jesus

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I read the article. The emphasis was purely gender specific:

There is something that I really do find problematic about the idea of wrestling with a girl, and a part of that does come from my faith and my belief,” said Johnston, who identifies as Christian and said he attends the International Anglican Church in Colorado Springs. “And a part of that does come from how I was raised to treat women as well as maybe from different experiences and things.”

Source:https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...rfeited/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.21f29f2b9578

Although I know he put it on himself, but I still think it was stupid on his part. Wrestling is a sport this isn't UFC. No blame would come to him if he wrestled a young woman. Even the female wrestler said in the following:

“My whole thing is that I’m not a girl wrestler; I’m just a wrestler,” said Jaslynn Gallegos, a senior at Skyview High. “So it kind of doesn’t hurt my feelings, but I do kind of take it to heart.”

So instead of owing her the respect from one athlete to another to challenge her, he decides that her gender prevents him from being an athlete. This basically just perpetuates the idea of female weakness in sports.
Of course it was going to be gender specific. Please note he said that was the way he was raised. There was not even an implication that women should not participate. Only that he could not.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Proverbs 27:17 ESV

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another."
But not too much:

Leviticus 18:22
“ ‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.
Yet there does come a time where women better fit into the picture: when men need to be kowtowed to.

Ephesians 5:22
Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord.

1 Timothy 2:12
I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet.

1 Peter 3:1
Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives,

Titus 2:4-5
And so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands,

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I do not blame the wrestler too much here and have to disagree with Hement. In wrestling some very intimate body parts are grasped. At that young age it can be hard to separate sexuality from sport. He did not blame the other wrestlers. He took himself out because he recognized a possible flaw on his part.

Then shouldn't gay males be excluded for the same reasons (physical contact and inability to separate sexuality from sport)?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Then shouldn't gay males be excluded for the same reasons (physical contact and inability to separate sexuality from sport)?

Oh my gosh, that's totally homophobic. .... :eek: ... It's not like homosexual wrestlers are going to publicly rape a man whom they are wrestling. ....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Riders

"A male high school wrestler in Colorado was competing for a state championship but gave up on that dream when he realized his bracket included two girls. Rather than wrestle them, he forfeited both matches and knocked himself out of the tournament.

Brendan Johnston explained that he couldn’t wrestle them because of his Christian upbringing.

There is something that I really do find problematic about the idea of wrestling with a girl, and a part of that does come from my faith and my belief,” said Johnston, who identifies as Christian and said he attends the International Anglican Church in Colorado Springs. “And a part of that does come from how I was raised to treat women as well as maybe from different experiences and things.”

Here’s the question: Does Johnston deserve respect for having the courage of his convictions, or was his decision disrespectful to Jaslynn Gallegos and Angel Rios (not to mention the sport itself)?
source
Anyone care to explain how being a Christian squares with not wrestling girls?

Don't you know women are to get married and to be protected what do you think our body parts are made for? Pleasing men! Women aren't to be wrestlers because wrestling is masculine and women are to be feminine, and guess what?
I think is truly whats at the heart of it, women have to be feminine and dress in a certain feminine way and to be treated m how offensive a woman fighting oh my! They are offended by feminine and masculine roles not being played the right way to them.

Why women are to wear dresses and be dressed up like pretty dolls.

HOGWASH! BS!

Riders

if these men are so afraid of touching women's body parts then why do so many wrestling federation matches on tv have women come out in teeny string bikinis walking around?

QuestioningMind

"A male high school wrestler in Colorado was competing for a state championship but gave up on that dream when he realized his bracket included two girls. Rather than wrestle them, he forfeited both matches and knocked himself out of the tournament.

Brendan Johnston explained that he couldn’t wrestle them because of his Christian upbringing.

Here’s the question: Does Johnston deserve respect for having the courage of his convictions, or was his decision disrespectful to Jaslynn Gallegos and Angel Rios (not to mention the sport itself)?
source
Anyone care to explain how being a Christian squares with not wrestling girls?

Ultimately I think it all comes down to his fragile ego. He simply couldn't face the prospect that he might get beaten by a 'mere girl' and he's just using his 'faith' as an excuse to avoid the possible perceived humiliation.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Let me edit and say to not sound like a complete a****** and say I applaud the man (I guess) for upholding his values. I commend him in his belief of not wanting to do harm. I just think his religious views make him seem critical. A girl/woman is not worth the risk of harm in sports but a male is, even when young girls knowing the risks compete against other boys? I just think it's unfair to girls that want to compete and get better. but as @Vinayaka said, maybe he is low key afraid of losing but considering he forfeited he left that open for speculation.

I don't really think the two sports are totally comparable, but in ice hockey, there has been a long history of girls fighting for the right to play on boys' teams. As far as I know, that fight is over now, and the girls have legally and otherwise earned that right. I have a grand niece who has spent most of her hockey life playing on boys' teams. The other choice, because of her skill level, is to play underage on an older girls team. That's not always a possibility either, as there may not be a team. In smaller communities, there really is no choice. So in recreational hockey, all across Canada, most minor hockey boys' teams from smaller communities will have a couple of girls on them.

Personally, I would have felt uncomfortable wrestling against girls. But when you take a closer look, it's almost all arms and torso that do the heavy work in the sport, so the chances of hands going where they ought not to go are slim. That said, stuff happens in phys-ed classes, in co-ed coaching, etc. When I coached girls' volleyball, one really good female player chasing down an errant ball crashed right into me, and I had to block her progress from hitting the floor. Hands went where they wouldn't normally. We just laughed, but she was a mature kid too.

Riders

Ultimately I think it all comes down to his fragile ego. He simply couldn't face the prospect that he might get beaten by a 'mere girl' and he's just using his 'faith' as an excuse to avoid the possible perceived humiliation.
That maybe part of it but female wrestlers don't match with they're version of what a real woman is.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
if these men are so afraid of touching women's body parts then why do so many wrestling federation matches on tv have women come out in teeny string bikinis walking around?
Different kind of wrestling I'm afraid.