• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrestler Forfeits Chance At State Championship Because Of Girls . . . And Jesus

Skwim

Veteran Member
"A male high school wrestler in Colorado was competing for a state championship but gave up on that dream when he realized his bracket included two girls. Rather than wrestle them, he forfeited both matches and knocked himself out of the tournament.

Brendan Johnston explained that he couldn’t wrestle them because of his Christian upbringing.

There is something that I really do find problematic about the idea of wrestling with a girl, and a part of that does come from my faith and my belief,” said Johnston, who identifies as Christian and said he attends the International Anglican Church in Colorado Springs. “And a part of that does come from how I was raised to treat women as well as maybe from different experiences and things.”

Here’s the question: Does Johnston deserve respect for having the courage of his convictions, or was his decision disrespectful to Jaslynn Gallegos and Angel Rios (not to mention the sport itself)?
source
Anyone care to explain how being a Christian squares with not wrestling girls?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
In the Bible, men wrestled around with men; there weren't any men wrestling around with women; so then, I suppose Jesus Christ would rather have men wrestle with men instead of having men wrestle with women.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I do not blame the wrestler too much here and have to disagree with Hement. In wrestling some very intimate body parts are grasped. At that young age it can be hard to separate sexuality from sport. He did not blame the other wrestlers. He took himself out because he recognized a possible flaw on his part.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Imo, young women should be mud wrestling around with other young women instead of wrestling around young men on a floor mat.

women_mud_wrestling_7.jpg

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
"A male high school wrestler in Colorado was competing for a state championship but gave up on that dream when he realized his bracket included two girls. Rather than wrestle them, he forfeited both matches and knocked himself out of the tournament.

Brendan Johnston explained that he couldn’t wrestle them because of his Christian upbringing.

There is something that I really do find problematic about the idea of wrestling with a girl, and a part of that does come from my faith and my belief,” said Johnston, who identifies as Christian and said he attends the International Anglican Church in Colorado Springs. “And a part of that does come from how I was raised to treat women as well as maybe from different experiences and things.”

Here’s the question: Does Johnston deserve respect for having the courage of his convictions, or was his decision disrespectful to Jaslynn Gallegos and Angel Rios (not to mention the sport itself)?
source

Smart move. The way girls accuse men of sexual impropriety these days, it's best to be safe than sorry.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
In wrestling some very intimate body parts are grasped. At that young age it can be hard to separate sexuality from sport. He did not blame the other wrestlers. He took himself out because he recognized a possible flaw on his part.

Very flawed argument. So in other words you are making the generalization that males have poor impulse control?

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I think the young man is stupid. This also sends the message that women are compartmentalized mentally (in the minds of young men and men in general) a certain way. Women are to be coddled, protected, not harmed, even in something as benign as athletics. This is just perpetuating social inequality model by believing women are athletically incapable to compete. The Jesus thing is just an additive to the ridiculous reasoning.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Maybe he figured he was going to get beat, and this prevented humiliation.
Very dubious. Why cast such aspersions on the young man.
Very flawed argument. So in other words you are making the generalizations that males have poor impulse control?
No, that is your poor argument. Some males may have bad control. You are arguing like a creationist. Some is not all. That wrestler may be afraid of his own bad control. I did not use that argument to say that women should not be allowed to wrestle. Merely that the young man had a good reason for withdrawing from the competition. Please note he did not blame his opponents. He did not complain about his opponents. He put it all on himself.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Maybe he figured he was going to get beat, and this prevented humiliation.
It was the first thing that crossed my mind.

Subduction Zone said:
Very dubious. Why cast such aspersions on the young man.
I don't think it's an aspersion at all, but a legitimate reaction many males would have. What male would brush off a defeat by a female in a physical contest? Not many. I believe most would at least feel more embarrassed than if defeated by a male, and quite likely feel humiliated. So I believe feeling humiliated is a very honest reaction, and to recognized it as such, not an aspersion at all.

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
That wrestler may be afraid of his own bad control.

I read the article. The emphasis was purely gender specific:

Source:https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...rfeited/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.21f29f2b9578

Although I know he put it on himself, but I still think it was stupid on his part. Wrestling is a sport this isn't UFC. No blame would come to him if he wrestled a young woman. Even the female wrestler said in the following:

“My whole thing is that I’m not a girl wrestler; I’m just a wrestler,” said Jaslynn Gallegos, a senior at Skyview High. “So it kind of doesn’t hurt my feelings, but I do kind of take it to heart.”

So instead of owing her the respect from one athlete to another to challenge her, he decides that her gender prevents him from being an athlete. This basically just perpetuates the idea of female weakness in sports.

Ellen Brown

source

I think that young man is to be applauded.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

Why? To encourage young girls to go in male dominated sports and expect a win because they have a vagina? This is a disservice to women. This is not equality nor does it respect a woman's ability to compete. Women who go in these events are fully aware of their capability and know they are facing men who are perhaps stronger men owe them that respect to compete.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I don't agree with his opinion against the wrestling with girls but I give him tons of credit to sticking with what he believes is morally right.
I didn't see any mention of morality, so why do you think it's something that he necessarily had in mind?

I think the young man is stupid. This also sends the message that women are compartmentalized mentally a certain way. Women are to be coddled, protected, not harmed, even in something as benign as athletics. This is just perpetuating social inequality by believing women are athletically incapable to compete. The Jesus thing is just an additive to the ridiculous reason.
In their zeal to be a true Christians I think many young people, lacking a developed sense of rationality, simply take things too far.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
In their zeal to be a true Christians I think many young people, lacking a developed sense of rationality, simply take things too far.

True and that is the problem. I just see his "politeness" as being misdirected as an athlete and as a former athlete myself.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It was the first thing that crossed my mind.

One year when I taught Grade 6, Tammy could whup all the boys at arm wrestling. It was a fascinating social observation. Some boys hated it, but some boys (like me) loved it because they enjoyed watching their friends get all mad. Tammy hammed it up too.

Obviously we don't know this case, but it could be.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Let me edit and say to not sound like a complete a****** and say I applaud the man (I guess) for upholding his values. I commend him in his belief of not wanting to do harm. I just think his religious views make him seem critical. A girl/woman is not worth the risk of harm in sports but a male is, even when young girls knowing the risks compete against other boys? I just think it's unfair to girls that want to compete and get better. but as @Vinayaka said, maybe he is low key afraid of losing but considering he forfeited he left that open for speculation.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Well, he is sticking to whatever Christian principle is leading him, but without knowing exactly what it is I can only say it appears to be a poor one.

What would help is if we knew exactly what, in his Christian upbringing, is making him refuse to wrestle girls. But we don't know, so all we have is speculation. One of those: :shrug: things.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Andy Kaufman wouldn't of been afraid of any humiliation for wrestling with any woman.

R.I.P. Mr Kaufman, you were so very fun to watch; I really appreciated his sense of humor, almost as much as I've appreciated Donald J. Trump's sense of humor. ....:)

Last edited: