• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you mind if I discussed a book about Islam in the West with you as I go through it?

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
I slept on the idea of Qu'ran, Sunna and state of the world.
I went for a walk shortly after dawn this morning and I was thinking about this and about the idea of the Book that is spread out and about the natural submission of nature and I think I get it. It's about harmony isn't it?

And about balance. At the outset those two things would appear to be the same but they are not. Allah has created this world in such a way that the best way for anything to prosper and evolve to its best state is to achieve balance. If we do not, cannot, or refuse to reach such a state of balance then going astray becomes the simplest thing to do.

I have said this before on this forum a while ago, that the reason the Muslims are in the state we are in today, and thus the world at large, are because we have not achieved balance. We have not followed the simple advice offered by Nabi (saw) to stay a middle course. To not go too far to the left or too far to the right. It is a simple thing but difficult to accomplish for most of us.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
Another thing that I've learned today is the enormous diversity within Islam. The author outlines 6 main trends:-
Scholastic traditionalism
Salafi Literalism
Salafi Reformism
Political Literalist Salafism
Liberal Reformism
Sufism
He also says that there are other minor offshoots such as the Ahbash.
There's a lot to take in there. I think the main thing I will take from it is that I (and I imagine many others in the West?) do not realize how broad are the views of those who describe themselves as Muslim.
I think it is a mistake to think of Islam as homogeneous. Interesting stuff.

There is much diversity in Islam, most of which leads many out of its fold. Some of it warranted and allowed in Islam simply due to the fact that Allah perfected the religion and it is meant for all time. Due to this we are allowed much flexibility in Islam on different subjects and all of them can be correct.

I along with my fellow brothers and sisters have never seen it broken into this form, but it really is a non-issue.

Rasulullah (saw) asked Allah three favors, two of which were granted and the third was not. One was that Allah not allow this ummah to fight among each other. This was the one not granted to Rasulullah (saw). We (the ummah) would indeed fight and quarrel among each other. We would divide into at least 72 sects and only one of those will be rightly guided. We have been commanded by Allah not to divide, but it was inevitable that we would. Such is the nature of mankind that even when something is very clear-cut we will differ about it until we break away from one another on that basis.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
And about balance. At the outset those two things would appear to be the same but they are not. Allah has created this world in such a way that the best way for anything to prosper and evolve to its best state is to achieve balance. If we do not, cannot, or refuse to reach such a state of balance then going astray becomes the simplest thing to do.

I have said this before on this forum a while ago, that the reason the Muslims are in the state we are in today, and thus the world at large, are because we have not achieved balance. We have not followed the simple advice offered by Nabi (saw) to stay a middle course. To not go too far to the left or too far to the right. It is a simple thing but difficult to accomplish for most of us.

You made a very good point dear sister. Very true we are an Ummah of moderation as Allah says in His holy Book: "Thus We have made you [Muslims] a Wasat nation (a nation of moderation), that you be witnesses over mankind and the Messenger Muhammad be a witness over you." (2: 143)
Allah has made it very clear that our Ummah is a nation of Wasatiyya (moderation). And He indicates the objectives behind that in the same verse: "That you be witnesses over mankind and the Messenger Muhammad be a witness over you".
In the Arabic language Wasat means to be moderate and to be in the middle. And from an Islamic sense it means that Muslims should do their best to be moderate in all their affairs whether it is related to religous affairs or worldly affairs.
Our beloved Prophet peace be upon him always taught his companions to be moderate.

Imaam Bukhaari reported that three companions came to the houses of the wives of the Prophet peace be upon him to inquire about how much the Prophet worshiped. When the men were informed, they considered the amount of worship to be insufficient and said: "Where are we in comparison with the Prophet while Allah has forgiven his past sins and future sins." One of them said: "As for me, I shall offer prayer all night long." Another said: "I shall observe fasting continuously and shall not break it." Another said: 'I shall abstain from the woman and shall never marry." The Prophet pbuh came to them and said, "Are you the ones who said such things? By Allah, I fear Allah more then you do, and I am most obedient and dutiful among you to Him, but still I fast (some days) and I don't fast (other days), I pray at night and I also sleep (meaning he does not pray all night), and I married, and whoever does not follow my Sunnah (way of life) does not belong to me."

Also Imaam Muslim reported that the Prophet pbuh warned us by saying, "Ruined are those who insist on hardship in matters of Deen (religion)." He repeated this three times.​

Imam Ibn Al-Qayyim said: "Always encourage people to take a moderate stand, because it will rescue you from transgression. So we find the middle position between two extremes to be the most balanced and just, where a person will find all the benefits and comforts of this worldly life and the Hereafter. Furthermore, even the human body cannot live normally without the benefits of moderation. If a person is moderate when sleeping, waking, eating, drinking, exercising, in staying away or mixing with others, then the body will function properly. However, if a person goes to an extreme in one of these aspects, then the body will not function properly and the person will not live a normal life."

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Are you still reading through Tarik Ramadan's book Stephen? Just curious to know :)

Peace

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Hi Peace,
I need to get back to it. I got distracted for the last short while because I had work to submit but it's still beside the bed calling me.
This week hopefully.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I've gotten back into it.
It's a fantastic book. The copy I'm reading is from the library but I think I might have to buy my own copy.
He tackles the 'image' problem of Islam in the West head on, and I think very effectively. The idea he puts forward on p.65/66 that the Islamic system is not truly or fully implemented anywhere in the world today grabbed my attention.
I am also excited and attracted by the idea of the book that an Islam that is both authentically Islamic AND Western will/must emerge.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
SW said:
The idea he puts forward on p.65/66 that the Islamic system is not truly or fully implemented anywhere in the world today grabbed my attention.

Yes, he is right, there is no country in the world where Islam is truly and fully implemented.

SW said:
I am also excited and attracted by the idea of the book that an Islam that is both authentically Islamic AND Western will/must emerge

Incha'Allah (God willing) :)