• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

would you marry someone of a different faith as yours?

kloth

maybe they have a different faith as yours, or none at all. would you do it if this was the only thing that you had a difference in? but had an excellent connection besides that?

and why? or why not? if you don't mind answering that part too.
even if you ad a joke to it as well.
thanks.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I couldn't have, but if an individual thinks they can, they should go for it. Either way it will be a lesson for them. :)

"Hey, we actually made this work" or
"Gosh, that was a dumb idea!"

Thana

Lady
Personally, I don't think I could marry a Satanist. That just seems like asking for a complicated marriage.
But anything else is fine, Doesn't really bother me :shrug:

kashmir

Most likely not.
We are talking world views that have standards attached, not music tastes.
But, I don't need a book to tell me right from wrong though.
My standards comes from within so if someone had a different set of morals than me, I couldn't marry them.
I do not see how there would be compatibility.

I would assume it would take the right people who can handle accepting the total contradictions, if there are any and I assume there would be.

Last edited:

ametist

I cant marry someone who doesnt at all believe in a god or doesnt ever think of spirituality or doesnt consider it a part of himself.

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I doubt I could marry anyone who believed in the existence of god(s). It's too fundamentally attached to someone's general level of rationality and worldview.

Akivah

maybe they have a different faith as yours, or none at all. would you do it if this was the only thing that you had a difference in? but had an excellent connection besides that?

I've given that question a lot of thought. I don't think I would. There are just too many cultural and normative living concepts that a non-Jew would be unaware of. That would be jarring to my life in their absence. If I happen to outlive my wife, I think I would only date Jews, so that I wouldn't form a connection with a non-Jew.

kloth

I couldn't have, but if an individual thinks they can, they should go for it. Either way it will be a lesson for them. :)

"Hey, we actually made this work" or
"Gosh, that was a dumb idea!"
why couldn't you?

Personally, I don't think I could marry a Satanist. That just seems like asking for a complicated marriage.
But anything else is fine, Doesn't really bother me :shrug:
just curious; have you ever known any Satanist? personally? or met one or some. what would you specifically think, that would be complicated about it.
again, just curious. thanks for the reply.

Most likely not.
We are talking world views that have standards attached, not music tastes.
But, I don't need a book to tell me right from wrong though.
My standards comes from within so if someone had a different set of morals than me, I couldn't marry them.
I do not see how there would be compatibility.

I would assume it would take the right people who can handle accepting the total contradictions, if there are any and I assume there would be.

I cant marry someone who doesnt at all believe in a god or doesnt ever think of spirituality or doesnt consider it a part of himself.
interesting.
so would you say that you follow your religious faith to a T? by the book, if you will?

I doubt I could marry anyone who believed in the existence of god(s). It's too fundamentally attached to someone's general level of rationality and worldview.
it's possible though, huh? but I understand what you mean.
I wouldn't be too into marrying someone who believed that santa was real, but to me I would like the idea they seem a bit crazy to me. crazy in a good way.
no offense to any believers.

I've given that question a lot of thought. I don't think I would. There are just too many cultural and normative living concepts that a non-Jew would be unaware of. That would be jarring to my life in their absence. If I happen to outlive my wife, I think I would only date Jews, so that I wouldn't form a connection with a non-Jew.
what I said to ametist.
As long as the person isn't a fundermentalist or is drowned in dogma, then it wouldn't worry me.
I see.
thanks

Can she cook?
kind of.

how's that going? how's it been throughout? and how long has it been? if you don't mind. thanks.

ametist

interesting.
so would you say that you follow your religious faith to a T? by the book, if you will?

No. what I said means that?
I just said "I cant marry someone who doesnt at all believe in a god or doesnt ever think of spirituality or doesnt consider it a part of himself."

You are not optimistic reading my post. What I wrote up here includes almost %98 of people living on earth(the part i can marry, i mean).

Still if you want me to make an arragement for you in my thought..i can do that.yes, why not.afterall we have to get this world turning. Those marriages have to be done.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
My husband is an agnostic. I'm a non-denominational Trinitarian.

We challenge each other. It keeps us close.

CynthiaCypher

I wouldn't marry an atheist or an agnostic let alone date one unless my propose was to make our lives as miserable as I could. Because that is what would happen.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Different religion? Depends on the religion, it or the person would have to have similar values.
So, yes, but only if we share values....if not...nahh..

Moishe3rd

Yehudi

and why? or why not? if you don't mind answering that part too.
even if you ad a joke to it as well.
thanks.
No. I could not marry someone of a different faith than mine.
Although.... in theory, I did.

My wife and I met while members of an esoteric spiritual "cult."
She was raised as a fairly secular Jew.
I was raised as a well churched Episcopalian Christian.

After we left the cult, we began to explore our respective religions.
We both attended and studied at a Conservative synagogue.
I joined an Episcopalian church and was on the vestry; sang in the choir; was a lay reader and Sunday School teacher among other things.

I gave up Christianity; we moved on and became ("ultra") Orthodox Jews back in the early 90's.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
My husband is an agnostic. I'm a non-denominational Trinitarian.

We challenge each other. It keeps us close.

Indeed. :)

"We are the sun and moon dear friend, it is not our purpose to become each other, it is to recognize each other, to learn to see the other and honor him for what he is, each the others opposite, and complement." - Hermann Hesse

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Someone's religion (or lack thereof), in the context of dating or marriage, isn't really a concern of mine.

Granted, if the potential partner was a fundamentalist or New-Atheist, that could very well be a deal breaker, but in general it isn't something I worry about. My ex-boyfriend was a Wiccan, and we were together for 3 1/2 years.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I wouldn't marry an atheist or an agnostic let alone date one unless my propose was to make our lives as miserable as I could. Because that is what would happen.

That is assuming that someone who is an atheist or agnostic only exists to make the lives of religious people/theists miserable.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, it could be an issue with a potential partner who was a New-Atheist, but I could see myself dating a completely non-religious person. In fact, I might actually prefer a non-religious partner to a religious one.