• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you live in the heart of the middle ages if your faith benefited

amorphous_constellation

It would be nice to have some more serious addresses to my query by Christians specifically. I've heard many complaints about the modern age from them throughout my life, constantly they have shown aversion to modern policies. Maybe some are even justified, this thread is their chance to revel in what the past was.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Never. Never never never.

Each age interprets Judaism for itself. It is a religion that is constantly unfolding.

On the other hand, modern society benefits infinitely from things such as modern medicine and technology. I would never give that up. Are you kidding? Suffer through the Plague and have no idea what caused it and have no antibiotics? And then there is the issue of how Christians treated Jews. Oy veh!

Skwim

Veteran Member
Would you live in the heart of the middle ages if your faith benefited
I think I'll pass, thank you.

5117488-6285431-image-a-9_1539767035491.jpg

amorphous_constellation

Never. Never never never.

Each age interprets Judaism for itself. It is a religion that is constantly unfolding.

On the other hand, modern society benefits infinitely from things such as modern medicine and technology. I would never give that up. Are you kidding? Suffer through the Plague and have no idea what caused it and have no antibiotics? And then there is the issue of how Christians treated Jews. Oy veh!

If it's any consolation, the natural spirituality of my european ancestors was obviously pretty well eliminated, or at least hard for me to access much clear knowledge on, and a wide span of people of any background were probably susceptible to all kinds of problems

Science clearly had to peel off intellectually talented people away from spirituality, whatever their religion was. The practice of scientific experimentation, I think, naturally required a lot of freedom, and I think secular social innovation was a possible fallout effect from this. To that end, I have constantly heard about the 'sinful times we live in.' Obviously even some scientific innovations are even criticized.

So no, I am not joking. If the times are so seriously sinful, they should want to turn back the clock. The middle ages was a time that clearly didn't have a computerized, mechanical, high stimulation atmosphere about it. Rather, it was time when the idea of magic forces around us had a far more accepted credence. Life was also closer to the bone, it was magical, it was simple, and the majority of spiritual people actually want that, I'd argue. I read the history books, and the scholars all saw hardship in the middle ages as spiritual purification. And it was a time of hardcore temperance that was extolled like modern people have never seen. And you could outdo the Hasids or the Amish or anybody else who's trying avoid modern life, you would be there and there would be no choice. So this is actually a question I want to develop further, and I'd like some serious answers

Last edited:

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

Well uh, no :D
Middle âgés was full of filth, diseases and hunger. I don't see spending my life submitted to the local lord and experiencing the famous "droit de cuissage" xD

Also you were basically sentenced to death if you weren't baptized and practicing catholic, since I'm not catholic and not really intending to be.. that's another reason for not wanting to go back and live there

ajay0

The Prajapita Brahmakumaris, is the only spiritual organisation in the world led, administered and taught by women in stark contrast to the other Abrahamic faiths with constantly male Popes, Rabbis and Mullahs, including the Bahais.

The Brahmakumaris are a Dharmic monotheistic sect which worships God as an incorporeal point of light.

The feminine disposition and character of the Brahmakumaris would have been impossible if we were still in the decadent Middle Ages with witch burnings and male dominance taken for granted.

Author Dan Brown had stated that most of the so-called witches in Europe were actually women with a highly developed spirituality and psychic powers, who were misinterpreted by the conditioned masses and priests as 'evil witches' and burnt on the stake. Joan of Arc is a typical example.
The deaths of many of these women on the accusation of witchcraft actually led to a vacuum of the divine feminine virtues and dominance of the aggressive masculine virtues in european society, that led to too many frequent wars and the two world wars causing strife and chaos in an unprecedented scale .

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
I ask this because people in the past clearly lived closer to the bone, and so many modern criticisms of faith did not exist. This probably applies broadly to a great selection of faiths, but I suppose in asking this, I am focused on Abrahamic faiths.

As one example of faith over matter, some people in our modern times have had an impulse to refuse modern medical care, (as opposed to faith healing) it's been in the news a few times I think. In the middle ages, no one would criticize you for that. And furthermore, the modern fear we experience when thinking about death would be severely excoriated, as we have it on record that pre-modern people literally saw tumors and lion's teeth as forms of divine supplication.

Another is the fact that you will possibly be able to live a truly humble life, and will toil as close to the earth as Adam ever did. One needn't quote the many remarks about how necessary this is to piety, that you be simple, humble, and meek. Your simple and hard life among the oxen and chickens would not make your mind fertile for sin, and you may even have the opportunity to become a construction worker on a large church. Instead of this, you likely lead a highly distracted life dominated by tv, the internet, temptation, gridlock etc. etc.

No. I like food and living over 35.

Messianic Israelite

I ask this because people in the past clearly lived closer to the bone, and so many modern criticisms of faith did not exist. This probably applies broadly to a great selection of faiths, but I suppose in asking this, I am focused on Abrahamic faiths.

As one example of faith over matter, some people in our modern times have had an impulse to refuse modern medical care, (as opposed to faith healing) it's been in the news a few times I think. In the middle ages, no one would criticize you for that. And furthermore, the modern fear we experience when thinking about death would be severely excoriated, as we have it on record that pre-modern people literally saw tumors and lion's teeth as forms of divine supplication.

Another is the fact that you will possibly be able to live a truly humble life, and will toil as close to the earth as Adam ever did. One needn't quote the many remarks about how necessary this is to piety, that you be simple, humble, and meek. Your simple and hard life among the oxen and chickens would not make your mind fertile for sin, and you may even have the opportunity to become a construction worker on a large church. Instead of this, you likely lead a highly distracted life dominated by tv, the internet, temptation, gridlock etc. etc.

Declining morals, public corruption, unemployment, inflation, urban decay and increased military spending are a few of the theories cited as what occurred in the Dark Ages and one of the reasons it's called the Dark Ages because spiritual enlightenment was not pursued. The Messiah had been rejected and this led to a 1,000 years of darkness. I think I heard somewhere that the average life expectancy was 30 years old. Plagues were commonplace. The Middle Ages, or medieval time, is generally believed to have started with the fall of the Roman Empire in 476 and to have lasted about 1,000 years until about 1450. Although religion existed, this was a time of spiritual darkness where the Roman Catholic Church few held sway over the uneducated many.

Last edited:

amorphous_constellation

Declining morals, public corruption, unemployment, inflation, urban decay and increased military spending are a few of the theories cited as what occurred in the Dark Ages and one of the reasons it's called the Dark Ages because spiritual enlightenment was not pursued. The Messiah had been rejected and this led to a 1,000 years of darkness. I think I heard somewhere that the average life expectancy was 30 years old. Plagues were commonplace. The Middle Ages, or medieval time, is generally believed to have started with the fall of the Roman Empire in 476 and to have lasted about 1,000 years until about 1450. Although religion existed, this was a time of spiritual darkness where the Roman Catholic Church few held sway over the uneducated many.

The internet, scientific advances that aid life in non-theological ways, celebrity culture, all this would be seen as pomp and vanity. Unemployment was literally impossible, spending on local defense was highly expedient. You could literally choose to become a stylite on the edge of town and not draw criticism, try that in 2019. People became anchorites. I interpret your post as as being contrary to anything an anchorite could represent, they were not concerned with the intellect and gdp

Last edited: