• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you live in the heart of the middle ages if your faith benefited

amorphous_constellation

I ask this because people in the past clearly lived closer to the bone, and so many modern criticisms of faith did not exist. This probably applies broadly to a great selection of faiths, but I suppose in asking this, I am focused on Abrahamic faiths.

As one example of faith over matter, some people in our modern times have had an impulse to refuse modern medical care, (as opposed to faith healing) it's been in the news a few times I think. In the middle ages, no one would criticize you for that. And furthermore, the modern fear we experience when thinking about death would be severely excoriated, as we have it on record that pre-modern people literally saw tumors and lion's teeth as forms of divine supplication.

Another is the fact that you will possibly be able to live a truly humble life, and will toil as close to the earth as Adam ever did. One needn't quote the many remarks about how necessary this is to piety, that you be simple, humble, and meek. Your simple and hard life among the oxen and chickens would not make your mind fertile for sin, and you may even have the opportunity to become a construction worker on a large church. Instead of this, you likely lead a highly distracted life dominated by tv, the internet, temptation, gridlock etc. etc.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Obviously you have never lived in the Middle Ages. I have and, trust me, it was no day at the beach....

amorphous_constellation

Obviously you have never lived in the Middle Ages. I have and, trust me, it was no day at the beach....

Right, it's not meant to be. My argument that I wrote is basically that the hardship would bring people closer to the divine, at least that was their view of what hardship could do.

leov

I ask this because people in the past clearly lived closer to the bone, and so many modern criticisms of faith did not exist. This probably applies broadly to a great selection of faiths, but I suppose in asking this, I am focused on Abrahamic faiths.

As one example of faith over matter, some people in our modern times have had an impulse to refuse modern medical care, (as opposed to faith healing) it's been in the news a few times I think. In the middle ages, no one would criticize you for that. And furthermore, the modern fear we experience when thinking about death would be severely excoriated, as we have it on record that pre-modern people literally saw tumors and lion's teeth as forms of divine supplication.

Another is the fact that you will possibly be able to live a truly humble life, and will toil as close to the earth as Adam ever did. One needn't quote the many remarks about how necessary this is to piety, that you be simple, humble, and meek. Your simple and hard life among the oxen and chickens would not make your mind fertile for sin, and you may even have the opportunity to become a construction worker on a large church. Instead of this, you likely lead a highly distracted life dominated by tv, the internet, temptation, gridlock etc. etc.
It was not a good time...

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I would, just because it would be interesting. Don't care much about religious faith. Though I think being a druid would be fun. If I could live in the middle ages and be a druid, count me in.
o4zrhp6zyyy1qrkdegla.gif

Druid Raves :thumbsup:

Last edited:

amorphous_constellation

I would, just because it would be interesting. Don't care much about religious faith. Though I think being a druid would be fun. If I could live in the middle ages and be a druid, count me in.
In that case, I suppose you might have to sort of exist on the underground level of society

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.

People back then viewed the world and their place in it in a very different way than we do, obviously. Yes, I can think of some aspects of living back then would be interesting and enjoyable. But overall, live in an age before anti-biotics? No thank you.

amorphous_constellation

Because they dug the hole to bury the books to save them near what is now Hag Hammadi.
So does that mean you are some kind of Gnostic. I'm talking about a time where you don't really have to worry about what it is in your canon, they decided it for you, so you can you have a lot less stress on that regard

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
In that case, I suppose you might have to sort of exist on the underground level of society

Depends on the era. There was a time prior to the subjugation by Christians.

A druid (Welsh: derwydd; Old Irish: druí; Scottish Gaelic: draoidh) was a member of the high-ranking professional class in ancient Celtic cultures. Perhaps best remembered as religious leaders, they were also legal authorities, adjudicators, lorekeepers, medical professionals, and political advisors. While the druids are reported to have been literate, they are believed to have been prevented by doctrine from recording their knowledge in written form, thus they left no written accounts of themselves. They are however attested in some detail by their contemporaries from other cultures, such as the Romans and the Greeks.
Druid - Wikipedia

amorphous_constellation

People back then viewed the world and their place in it in a very different way than we do, obviously. Yes, I can think of some aspects of living back then would be interesting and enjoyable. But overall, live in an age before anti-biotics? No thank you.
In the middle ages, your failing mortality was your anti-biotic. Unless you went to see the herbalist somewhere at the edge of town, in that case it was a necklace of worms (literally)

leov

So does that mean you are some kind of Gnostic. I'm talking about a time where you don't really have to worry about what it is in your canon, they decided it for you, so you can you have a lot less stress on that regard
It is in my character now...then? Who knows.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Late Antiquity/Early Middle Ages, sure. Maybe around the 11th or 12th century at the latest. Nothing to do with Christianity for me. Just the opposite, as that is around the time that the last Germanic peoples were converted. (The Balts were the last Europeans converted, around the 15th century.)

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
You look much younger in that picture.
Joke aside, what do mean by "living in the middle ages"?