• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you? Could you?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
If you found out that you were pregnant, and that the child would be mentally retarded, would you abort? If you, as this person's mate, found out she was pregnant and the child would be mentally retarded, would you want her to abort? Could you handle the extra love and attention that child would need?

A

angellous_evangellous

On mental retardation alone, I would not endorse an abortion. If my wife's life was in danger or the baby's survival estimate was very low, I would support an abortion. In any case, I would support what my wife wanted.

onmybelief

For Me this is not sufficient enough cause to have an abortion. When it is "apprpopriate": Became pregnant because of rape, and when it has been developing no more than three weeks (in other words after 3 weeks an abortion is no longer "appropriate".)

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I have a brother that is mentally retarded. He was, as my mother stated, 'A special gift from God'.
There is no way I would support an abortion. If any of you find your child is retarded and you want to abort, please don't. I will raise the child myself. I'm serious.​
:jam:

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
NO NO NO!
I believe a child to be a gift, you have been choosen because you have something to offer this child.​
Hard work yes maybe... but having friends who have disabled children, and watching the love these children can give.....
My gosh I could not kill a child, a child that has so much to offer and to give.​

Bishka

Veteran Member
jeffrey said:
If you found out that you were pregnant, and that the child would be mentally retarded, would you abort? If you, as this person's mate, found out she was pregnant and the child would be mentally retarded, would you want her to abort? Could you handle the extra love and attention that child would need?
Never. Absolutley never. i would love that child until that child died and afterwards. My mother knew that my little brother was going to have problems(she was bedridden at 2 months), and she didn't abort. Yes, he's needed some extra attention, but that is fine with me, it made me into a better person to help take care of my little brother. It made me into a kinder, loving, sister, and I appreciate that.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
jeffrey said:
The question exemplifies what I find most disturbing about the abortion question. Nowhere in the OP do we learn how far the pregnancy has advanced. It's just deemed unimportant. :(

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
onmybelief said:
For Me this is not sufficient enough cause to have an abortion. When it is "apprpopriate": Became pregnant because of rape, and when it has been developing no more than three weeks (in other words after 3 weeks an abortion is no longer "appropriate".)
Even rape; I could not do it... I have a beautiful son because of rape. He is full of sunshine, laughter and real cute!

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
jeffrey said:
...If you, as this person's mate, found out she was pregnant and the child would be mentally retarded, would you want her to abort?
No! Since I believe that life begins at conception, I would not my wife to have an abortion just because the child might become an 'inconvenience.
jeffrey said:
...Could you handle the extra love and attention that child would need?
If God chose to bless us with such a child, that woud mean that He knows we could handle it. In that circumstance, I would hit my knees and pray for His strength and guidance.

Someone once told me "Don't pray for tasks equal to your powers. Ask God for powers equal to your tasks.:162:

standing_alone

For myself, I honestly don't know what I do. But thankfully, I never plan on getting pregnant, and probably will never be in such a position to be pregnant (being gay). I would advovate for that child to be born, but I would support someone's decision to abort as I feel it should be their choice, however tragic (as all abortions are). It takes more than just tender loving care to raise such a child. Sometimes one parent must stay at home and not work to meet the child's needs, and if it is a single parent, it would be near impossible to meet the child's needs. I remember seeing a show about a mother in this position and it was very taxing on her and she could barely make ends meet or this child could end up in a foster home and/or go from foster family to foster family (not a very desirable life, in my opinion). I feel like a terrible person limiting the decision mainly on financial issues, but the stress of meeting this child's needs and of paying the bills may "justify" (using that word rather loosely) their decision to abort. I would love it if all children were born and allowed a chance at life, but unfortunately, the world does not work that simply.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I don't know what i would do, until you're in the situation i don't think you can say.

Also, you don't say what form of mental handicap we're talking about. Downs syndrome i probably would not want her to have an abortion.
Something much more severe and i wouldn't want to put my child through that.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I'm glad a lot of people agree with me on this. :) I felt like I was alone at first. I personally won't have an abortion, if I need to die to save the baby, I will. I will never kill another human being. I'd rather have a miscarriage then abort a child.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
jeffrey said:
You find mentally retarded children disgusting? Why does that not suprise me.
That was exceedingly deceitful, Jeffery. Whether or not they agreed with me, any honest person following this thread would realize that I was expressing disgust at the fact that you find the state of the pregnancy (1st trimester vs 3rd trimester) 'unimportnat'. To distort my comments the way you have is despicable and speaks volumes.

mr.guy

crapsack
Jayhawker Soule said:
That was exceedingly deceitful, Jeffery. Whether or not they agreed with me, any honest person following this thread would realize that I was expressing disgust at the fact that you find the state of the pregnancy (1st trimester vs 3rd trimester) 'unimportnat'. To distort my comments the way you have is despicable and speaks volumes.
In all fairness deut, it seems you were baiting him somewhat. If he (or any of us) can't see the relation, i think you'd be decent enough to explain how it factors in. The OP seems more oriented towards eugenics then abortion (to me, at least).

Fluffy

A fool
It has nothing to do with honesty. It is a question of worldview. To someone who sees no importance in something, you will not immediatly assume that ambiguous comments refer to it directly.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
This would probably be a nonissue for me, since if I ever got pregnant it wouldn't have been willingly and I'd abort it before I found out if it was mentally retarded or not.