• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you call Nature sexist?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
It is really their problem, but we still have to live with any possible consequences.

Of course. This does go without saying, and it is the result of the abuses of patriarchy. I've posted many times on how women have been scapegoated throughout much of recent recorded history.

I don't necessarily blame men for the plight of women, because I think that social arrangements are made on a collective subconscious level to accommodate all, within a system that grants authority to the most powerful. The 'lesser' parties, whether they be of the "weaker" sex, the less wealthy, or the less advantaged in general get by either because of services they provide, or as an act of compassion in a cultural sense. This is social nature, a second nature and women had to play to the rules of the game to be able to thrive. Of course, we think that things have changed now, with the change in standards of power, but then again, have they? Really?
Yes, they have. We've seen quite a bit of progress this century in giving women the right to vote and in making domestic violence/marital rape a crime.

Culturally - again, and not to belabor the point - we still have a ways to go. It's great to get fired up about things not-quite-being-what-they-could-be, but it's more fun to channel that energy toward stepping outside the box.

It's one of the reasons why when I've been called a "whore" (almost exclusively by other women) - I wear that badge with pride. ;)

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
LOL, why? not that you believe it, but why the test? And how can you fail it?

The test is to see if you are ready.

Now I don't have any experience in this department, so I may be completely wrong :)D), but I'd imagine that the wonders of raising a child also comes with its own sets of pain. If you can stand the pain of childbirth, you can (theoretically) stand the painful aspect of raising a child.

Inky

I agree that the standards for power have changed, but historically there must be a reason why men seemed to dominate public life and be more visible as movers of history. It is only in the last century that women began to be visible in public life, and began to seek civil and public rights equal to man, including sufferage, and political representation.

Well, if you look at only the later portions of human history, it looks like that in most regions of the world. However, from what we can tell, traditional sexism started only when people started to settle permanently and raise crops. We have no indication that rigid gender roles existed in hunter-gatherer societies, or that women were perceived as being weaker. (It's often assumed that women were the "gatherers" and men were the "hunters", but we don't have real evidence for that, either; it could have been the opposite for all we know.) I don't know if there's a clear explanation for why agricultural society became patriarchal, but we've only been crop-raisers for a small percentage of the history of our species, so I don't think there's much evidence for a physical basis for sexism.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Much of human history has been written by men. ;)
Early accounts of Native American History, written by white men... makes incorrect, little or no mention of the roles women played in society. They simply couldn't (or wouldn't) see it.

wa:do