• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would it be unethical to write someone out of existence?

Ella S.

*temp banned*
Imagine that you had the ability to change history so that a specific individual was never conceived.

Could this be considered a form of murder? Do you think there are graver ethical issues with changing history, given that this would change the lives of all of the people that the un-made person directly and indirectly affected?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Imagine that you had the ability to change history so that a specific individual was never conceived.

Could this be considered a form of murder? Do you think there are graver ethical issues with changing history, given that this would change the lives of all of the people that the un-made person directly and indirectly affected?

Every sperm cell that failed to fertilize an egg was a potential character who got written off.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It would be to violate people's free will.
Which not even God does.
My freedom ends right where the other's freedom begins.

exchemist

Veteran Member

It seems to me that if you could change history you would unable to avoid doing so.

Every change would have multiple unforeseen effects, which would eventually involve people not meeting, or not making love on the same day, and so some individuals conceived would not be ones that were in the unaltered version.

By the same token, every action we take in the present has unseen ramifications, which may affect who is subsequently born. So no, it's not murder.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
It seems to me that if you could change history you would unable to avoid doing so.

Every change would have multiple unforeseen effects, which would eventually involve people not meeting, or not making love on the same day, and so some individuals conceived would not be ones that were in the unaltered version.

By the same token, every action we take in the present has unseen ramifications, which may affect who is subsequently born. So no, it's not murder.

Do you think there would be a moral difference between directly and indirectly writing someone out of existence?

Ella S.

*temp banned*
I'm afraid I think this is one of those "What if the sky were made of concrete?" questions.

The thought experiment is meant to gain a deeper understanding of why we value the lives that we do and to help gain a better understanding of what we consider murder and why.

To me, it seems that this thread has already been helpful for that, but I can understand if these kinds of thought experiments are not quite your thing.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

No idea how one might change history even with the best of intentions.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

Well in that situation you would be God. So it would not be unethical....but you may or may not make that choice depending on what the greater effects would be... I suspect there are many times when we think God should have not created some person, but we can't see the whole picture that would have happened otherwise.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

At first I thought you were talking about blotting someone's name out of all historical mention or recollection, which is something historical revisionists like to do to write history in their own favor. But are you asking something along the lines like time traveling and interfering with Hitler's parents ever meeting so baby Adolf would never be conceived?

Each case has its own set of ethical questions. One is taking an existing person and erasing any knowledge about them historically. The other is interfering in a timeline preventing that person being born.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well in that situation you would be God. So it would not be unethical....
So it's ethical if God commits an atrocity, but bad if we do it? Does that mean if we do the same atrocity in the name of God, it's ethical then? I know many do believe this way. Do you?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
So it's ethical if God commits an atrocity, but bad if we do it? Does that mean if we do the same atrocity in the name of God, it's ethical then? I know many do believe this way. Do you?
God can not create someone, or he can end someone's life because he creates each and every life. We don't have that option. Although if it was to save innocent life we could make that judgement call.
Everyone dies and God decides when... There was one guy in the Old Testament who prayed and got 15 extra years to live, so God does listen, but he still is the only one who has the right to decide when we die.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
At first I thought you were talking about blotting someone's name out of all historical mention or recollection, which is something historical revisionists like to do to write history in their own favor. But are you asking something along the lines like time traveling and interfering with Hitler's parents ever meeting so baby Adolf would never be conceived?

Each case has its own set of ethical questions. One is taking an existing person and erasing any knowledge about them historically. The other is interfering in a timeline preventing that person being born.

It was a question about time travel, but I am interested in your input on historical revisionism, too.