• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would discovery of species previously thought to be extinct impact the theory of evolution?

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
Instead of derailing my own thread, I think the @Subduction Zone was onto something worth discussing regarding the idea of the discovery of an extant form of a previously extinct group that has unexpected traits.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I have been thinking about this. Do you mean by previously unknown traits ones that have no antecedent in the record? I suppose that would make it a possibility, but not definite. Occasionally, rarely, even new phylla are discovered.
Yes, but I then thought of an even better possible refutation as shown in my next post. I suppose if a species with zero similarity to other life was found it would be evidence of an extra terrestrial visitor. So various chimeras would be a better example.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, but I then thought of an even better possible refutation as shown in my next post. I suppose if a species with zero similarity to other life was found it would be evidence of an extra terrestrial visitor. So various chimeras would be a better example.
Would an extraterrestrial actually refute the theory or just offer evidence of life outside the Earth?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
It could be evidence of a the culmination of an early origination event that was not squashed from competition with other forms of life, managed to survive and have descendants for us to find. Of course that would demand explanation for how it responded to the same sorts of selection to end up so different as it has.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
It has long been known that a crocoduck would result in a rejection of the theory of evolution. Though a crocnbull would not.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I see. I wasn't clear on the chimera reference.
You know what a pegasus is I hope. A winged horse, with feathers. Feathers are complex structures that arose in dinosaurs long after the split between our common ancestor wth them. The similarities are much deeper than can be explained by convergent evolution.

Worse yet it would be a hexapod, not a tetrapod.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
You know what a pegasus is I hope. A winged horse, with feathers. Feathers are complex structures that arose in dinosaurs long after the split between our common ancestor wth them. The similarities are much deeper than can be explained by convergent evolution.

Finding a pegasus would be a conundrum to explain given our existing understanding. Or minotaurs or centaurs. At least they are mixes of mammals though widely divergent species of mammals.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

Hard to claim that wings developed from forelimbs with that extra set. I think you have hit on something that would actually call our understanding of evolution into question if any were found.

I could buy a unicorn before a pegasus.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Hard to claim that wings developed from forelimbs with that extra set. I think you have hit on something that would actually call our understanding of evolution into question if any were found.

I could buy a unicorn before a pegasus.

The platypus caused quiet the controversy at first.

PruePhillip

Recently comments about the discovery of living populations of coelacanths prompted my thinking on how such a discovery appears to be evidence for some to consider it as a basis to reject the theory of evolution. As if finding a species or even more than one species of dinosaur in some remote part of the world is evidence that evolution does not take place.

It is my position that such a finding or any of the findings of modern species of groups previously thought to be extinct is not evidence to reject the theory of evolution.

Finding extant dinosaurs would be surprising. Entirely unexpected. Especially if their morphology were stable enough for cursory examination to identify them given the time since that group went extinct. Would they be the same species as ancestral dinosaurs? Such a high level of similarity would indicate the stability of the environment, but not be evidence to refute the theory of evolution.

Why would anyone think that such a finding would lead to a rejection of the theory of evolution?

No, it happens all time. See the Coelanith or however you spell it.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
No, it happens all time. See the Coelanith or however you spell it.
I don't doubt that it does, but I have seen such discoveries used as evidence against the theory of evolution. Out of apparent ignorance is near as I can determine for using that as evidence of such.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
That was a favorite story of mine as a child. My father liked telling us about how it was considered a fraud at first.
I’d like to think most of our Australian wildlife is considered fake elsewhere.
I mean where else in the natural world would you find a mammal that lays eggs?
(Echidna.)
And have you seen a Cassowary?
It looks like someone simply glued a rock on top of a giant bird.
Not to mention the thorny devil. Which is what you’d get if someone made a mini cactus that could move on its own.