• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would discovery of species previously thought to be extinct impact the theory of evolution?

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
I remember something that was discovered in Western Australia back in the 70's (maybe) that was only known in the fossil record. Some kind of worm thing that lives in colonies and looked like a rock to me. A google search of worm thing that looks like a rock didn't help. I'm going to be up for days until I remember what it is.
Curses. Now I am curious too.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think that finding an old species could refute evolution. But it is possible that finding a new species, one with a long list of previously unknown traits could threaten the theory.
I have been thinking about this. Do you mean by previously unknown traits ones that have no antecedent in the record? I suppose that would make it a possibility, but not definite. Occasionally, rarely, even new phylla are discovered.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I am hoping that someone will come on and offer a defense to the idea that such discoveries challenge theory, but it looks like there are no takers so far. Perhaps the argument has become so old and widely refuted that even diehards no longer see it as fruitful.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I am hoping that someone will come on and offer a defense to the idea that such discoveries challenge theory, but it looks like there are no takers so far. Perhaps the argument has become so old and widely refuted that even diehards no longer see it as fruitful.

Wouldn't is just be evidence that our knowledge of fossils is correct?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Wouldn't is just be evidence that our knowledge of fossils is correct?
It is that. But even that can be overturned. The coelacanth is from a group of fish known to science only from fossils prior to the 1930's. Our knowledge of those fossils has not changed. Only that the group turns out not to be extinct entirely.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It is that. But even that can be overturned. The coelacanth is from a group of fish known to science only from fossils prior to the 1930's. Our knowledge of those fossils has not changed. Only that the group turns out not to be extinct entirely.

It's hard to hold a discussion when everyone agrees. How's the weather over your way?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
It's hard to hold a discussion when everyone agrees. How's the weather over your way?
I have noticed that. I figured there would be more takers.

The weather is fine. Sunny, cool. I am not. Some sort of sinus infection. I'll have to cancel my tour like Billy Idol has had to.

I am miserable from the nose up. But otherwise fine.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I have noticed that. I figured there would be more takers.

The weather is fine. Sunny, cool. I am not. Some sort of sinus infection. I'll have to cancel my tour like Billy Idol has had to.

I am miserable from the nose up. But otherwise fine.

Bummer but your anecdote has just made me remember there was a local glam rock group from around here many years ago. A friend played guitar with them, he no longer wears the spandex but I'll see if they want to reform and join your tour.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Bummer but your anecdote has just made me remember there was a local glam rock group from around here many years ago. A friend played guitar with them, he no longer wears the spandex but I'll see if they want to reform and join your tour.

I rather like that. Needs more cowbell though.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

If he doesn't mind hooking up with a tour by a neverwas no talent, I'm good with it.