• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would an omnipotent God ever do what He does not want to do?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I would say maybe? If we take into account that human suffering and all that is part of God's plan then I can't foresee there being anything that God does being something that God would not want to do because He/She/It currently does everything and anything. But if we do see God as being an ultimately "good" entity then perhaps God would choose never to punish whatever God deems as a good human being?
I agree. I do not know what God is doing, but I can't foresee there being anything that God does being something that God would not want to do and I do not think that God would ever punish whatever God deems as a good human being.
Also, perhaps God would not want to do something related to God itself? Like not exist? Would God ever choose to not exist? Could God even will such a thing or would God be beholden to the rules of existence?
Everything God does is related to God Himself, even though God does things for humans.

Some atheists say that since God is omnipotent "God can do anything" so they think that means that God could become a man or choose to not exist. I disagree. I do not believe that God being omnipotent means that God can do anything. If God became a man or ceased to exist then God would no longer be God. God can only do what is within His nature to do.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
An omnipotent God can do anything, so that means that there is nothing in logic that would prevent an omnipotent God from doing something He does not want to do.

The answers to choose from are yes, no, or maybe.
  • If you answer yes, explain why you think God would do what He does not want to do.
  • If you answer maybe, explain why you think God might do what He does not want to do.
  • If you answer no, explain why you God would never do what He does not want to do.
Thanks, Trailblazer
Is he married?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
An omnipotent God can do anything, so that means that there is nothing in logic that would prevent an omnipotent God from doing something He does not want to do.

• If you answer yes, explain why you think God would do what He does not want to do.
  • If you answer maybe, explain why you think God might do what He does not want to do.
  • If you answer no, explain why you God would never do what He does not want to do.
Thanks, Trailblazer

I would tentatively answer “No” but with the condition that God is immeasurably exalted beyond any human concept of time, space, regress, egress and the like. So although we can use anthropomorphism to try to understand God, God is beyond any and every conception humans may have of Him.

Aman Uensis

Your religion is:

Noun. dyadism (usually uncountable, plural dyadisms) The tendency to categorize things into dyads or pairs; binary classification.

Yup. I won't go into detail but I believe existence seeks balance. This doesn't preclude the existence of God though which I'm trying to figure out now.

Darkforbid

Yup. I won't go into detail but I believe existence seeks balance. This doesn't preclude the existence of God though which I'm trying to figure out now.

But it's not a religion or even a comment on religion, dude

It's like asking someone their sex and accepting wallpaper as an answer

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I would tentatively answer “No” but with the condition that God is immeasurably exalted beyond any human concept of time, space, regress, egress and the like. So although we can use anthropomorphism to try to understand God, God is beyond any and every conception humans may have of Him.
I would say no because that is what Baha'u'llah said, in so many words.
“God witnesseth that there is no God but Him, the Gracious, the Best-Beloved. All grace and bounty are His. To whomsoever He will He giveth whatsoever is His wish. He, verily, is the All-Powerful, the Almighty, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting.” Gleanings, p. 73

Maybe I am taking liberties but I translated wish to want. So if God gives people what He wishes to that would be doing what He wants to do. But that does not mean God would never give someone what He did not want to give them. That could be what undeserved grace is all about.

Then we have this quote which says that God shall not be asked about things He pleases to ordain, which to me means He is going to ordain whatever he wants to ordain and nothing else.
“Say: He ordaineth as He pleaseth, by virtue of His sovereignty, and doeth whatsoever He willeth at His own behest. He shall not be asked of the things it pleaseth Him to ordain. He, in truth, is the Unrestrained, the All-Powerful, the All-Wise.” Gleanings, p, 284

But you are right; God is immeasurably exalted beyond any human concept of time, space, regress, egress and the like. So although we can use anthropomorphism to try to understand God, God is beyond any and every conception humans may have of Him, which translates into we just do not know what God is thinking or feeling or doing. I am perfectly satisfied with that because I do not need to know the mind or workings of an All-Powerful Being.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Then [he] can do what [he] likes. Though just what you'd find entertaining if you were omnipotent (and worse still, omniscient) is very hard to work out. Sleep, maybe?
You mean because God is not married He can do what He likes?
My husband is married and he only does what he likes to do.

All God has to do is look down here and that would be all the entertainment He would ever need.
Think about it.... This world is like ID TV on steroids. :eek::eek::eek:

james bond

Thanks, Trailblazer

Yes, he probably has to if he allows free will. That means you can choose to not believe in him, disobey, rebel, commit sin, or other transgressions.

Aman Uensis

But it's not a religion or even a comment on religion, dude

It's like asking someone their sex and accepting wallpaper as an answer

There is a system to it but it's been more an underground, word of mouth thing. Reading material has been strictly limited to post. We haven't had any online presence until the Instagram we put out recently so, no, the majority would not have heard of it.

Not everything in this world has to be on a Google search :)

It's just a thing for people, like me, who want to believe there is something more but can't really get into the orthodox religions.

Last edited:

Aman Uensis

According to my religion, moderation in all things, which means balance...
As you will see by how many posts I post, I am not very good at moderation, but I am working on it.

If this is your view then I think we can agree on a lot of things. But not all things which is okay as well.

Without contrast this world would be a single shade of beige and as long as we are civil we can live our lives. :)

rational experiences

Veteran Member
A male human making all claims to conditions in universal history, yet he is the consciousness, applying all statements of thinking, questions and answers in his own mind.

The whole time that thinking male human self was asking self questions that if he thinks self the highest and natural form, then why are you contemplating destruction, which is what he self identifies as that male concept of a God as he thinks.

How he based science first upon concepts of thinking and rationalising and being irrational his own thinking self.

If a male said, I told a story about the concept of a Sun which our planet moves around, that it had exploded and it fell....as a collapsed body.

A sun proved that its natural body is destructive.

He told a story about his planet Earth was a stone O entity, that contradicted what it had developed....a healing of the body burning, and evolution of the body burning, and then it erupted.

Which is his male thoughts about concepts...so what sort of entity he asks is a creator...for it constantly changes its body.

Then he says in an idealized review....once in my own historic life support, the gas/heavens, it was a hot dense state...and then it cooled and evolved.

How a concept a Creator of an omnipresence establishes its reasonings by a male thinking. Encompassed all conditions of relative science ideals...so then he says it is omniscience.

He taught his own male self, therefore if I do not idealize healing/cooling and support it, then the power of God proves it will destroy me.

For he never historically knew when the cold presence of God existed as its placed memory, to when it no longer existed.....but he learnt by changing natural cold radiation history that it only owns a particular historic presence as being with us, before it then gets removed.

How he taught the concepts of Deism, so that he would not idealize that God supported a future....for the concept of a presence said it owned an end.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yes, he probably has to if he allows free will. That means you can choose to not believe in him, disobey, rebel, commit sin, or other transgressions.
True, God allows humans to use their free will, but my question was whether God would ever do anything He does not want to do. I guess God could not go against His own Will, but He could go against His wants.