• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would a father, by any chance, no matter how slim, have right in keeping the baby from abortion?

As per the title:

• Yes.

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • No.

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
What do you think?

If yes, what case scenario do you have in mind if any, and/or why yes? And if no, then why?

The poll stands to give a general idea of the public opinion.

To those who vote (in this thread, not in USA's presidency election), please tell us why.

Thank you for sharing, and please keep the discussion appropriate.

Last edited:
I can't see how you could force a woman to carry and deliver a baby against her will, so no.

The converse though, if a man doesn't want a child, should they be held responsible to support the child financially until he/she reaches adulthood? Should he have the right to legally renounce all rights of access and be absolved of all responsibilities? After this he would be legally forbidden from making contact with the child without the mother unilaterally giving legal consent.

If a woman chooses to have the baby, that is her choice, but why does the man get no say either way?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I can't see how you could force a woman to carry and deliver a baby against her will, so no.

The converse though, if a man doesn't want a child, should they be held responsible to support the child financially until he/she reaches adulthood? Should he have the right to legally renounce all rights of access and be absolved of all responsibilities? After this he would be legally forbidden from making contact with the child without the mother unilaterally giving legal consent.

If a woman chooses to have the baby, that is her choice, but why does the man get no say either way?

Interesting questions. I'm looking forward to see replies to them.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

It's very simple - the man's choice is made when he decides to ejaculate inside a woman's birth canal. If you don't want to produce offspring, then it's a very simple thing to avoid. If you ejaculate inside a woman's birth canal, then whatever happens after that point is out of your hands, and it's your responsibility.

It's very simple - the man's choice is made when he decides to ejaculate inside a woman's birth canal. If you don't want to produce offspring, then it's a very simple thing to avoid. If you ejaculate inside a woman's birth canal, then whatever happens after that point is out of your hands, and it's your responsibility.

Why does the same not apply to the woman then? Why is her choice not made when she allows the man to ejaculate inside her birth canal? If she doesn't want to produce offspring, it's a very simple thing to avoid.

Are women less 'responsible'?

MARCELLO

Transitioning from male to female
How will he do it? Do men have wombs?

In many many risky pregnancies the doctors ask the mother for abortion as a must or she may lose her life while delivering,would you allow the father have the baby but lose the mother?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
How will he do it? Do men have wombs?

In many many risky pregnancies the doctors ask the mother for abortion as a must or she may lose her life while delivering,would you allow the father have the baby but lose the mother?

No, the mother's health always comes first. The thread is about all possibilities. In the case you mentioned tho, I believe the mother has the full right to decide.

Acim

Revelation all the time

Can you provide another example of something that is our of your hands and also your responsibility?

MARCELLO

Transitioning from male to female
No, the mother's health always comes first. The thread is about all possibilities. In the case you mentioned tho, I believe the mother has the full right to decide.
Until the baby gets out of womb,it belongs to the mother. Fatherhood starts once it is delivered,this is an instinct,IMO.

Acim

Revelation all the time
What do you think?

If yes, what case scenario do you have in mind if any, and/or why yes? And if no, then why?

The poll stands to give a general idea of the public opinion.

To those who vote (in this thread, not in USA's presidency election), please tell us why.

Thank you for sharing, and please keep the discussion appropriate.

Given the scenario as stated in the title and in wording of this quote above, an example would be if both mother and father wish to have the baby, and another party orders an abortion, I would say the father has a right of keeping the baby from abortion. If that is an example that is acceptable (to anyone), then it would qualify as exception to the titular inquiry, yes?

If the thread's implication is that the decision for abortion is solely the woman's choice, and man has no input in that choice, then by such logic I do not see what right the presumably disagreeing man is able to exercise other than say speech and protest.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Given the scenario as stated in the title and in wording of this quote above, an example would be if both mother and father wish to have the baby, and another party orders an abortion...

This is good point that I didn't think about. But I think readers can tell it is intended between the father and the mother. How do u suggest I edit the OP?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Can you provide another example of something that is our of your hands and also your responsibility?

Sure. I can see how once I make a post, it is out of my hands, yet I do have some responsibility for people misinterpreting it if I don't account for all the idiots out there who aren't big on reading comprehension, connotation and context.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
What do you guys think of a case scenario that the mother decides to have abortion because she just doesn't want children but the father wants a child and is ready to, and actually can, take full responsibility to take care of both the mother and the child?

We'll have to disagree. Biology is directly related to the varying rights and responsibilities when it comes to producing offspring.

Seems to me the woman isn't quite treated as being the man's equal. The man is responsible for where he puts his knob, but the woman can't really be expected to take responsibility for her own body.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
What do you guys think of a case scenario that the mother decides to have abortion because she just doesn't want children but the father wants a child and is ready to, and actually can, take full responsibility to take care of both the mother and the child?
Then the father will need talk the mother into being an incubator.