• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Cup 2010 Fans?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
darkendless said:
Some are more patheitc and damaging to the game than others. Spain isn't that bad but still, it sours their win.

They all do it. It would only sour someone's win if they were the only ones doing it.

Crap like that is gonna happen in a sport where calls are highly subjective.

This is what I've come to realize recently. I like that calls are subjective, but it does help lead to this stuff.

The biggest problem is that the refs let the results dictate their decisions. There was one play where a player got fouled in the box, but stayed on his feet, and no call was made. Even the commentators agreed it probably would have been a penalty if the player went down. That kind of thing only makes players want to dive more.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I actually kind of enjoyed the final. It could have been better, but it had some great moments. I have to say I was really happy to see Robben bungle his chances and then see Spain win. I have nothing against Netherlands, but I can't stand Robben.

Smoke

Done here.
I actually kind of enjoyed the final. It could have been better, but it had some great moments. I have to say I was really happy to see Robben bungle his chances and then see Spain win. I have nothing against Netherlands, but I can't stand Robben.

Wesley Sneijder got on my nerves during the final. I'd been enjoying watching him play up till then, but my god! he seemed more interesting in arguing with Howard Webb than in playing the game.

Yerda

Veteran Member
The Dutch were attempting to completely ruin the game. Makes me a touch sad...they had such great teams in the past, now reduced to "anti-football" in Cruyff's words. If it were Scotland I would prefer a complete drubbing to a system of cynical hacking and hoping for a lucky break. So disappointed...it could have been incredible.

Peacewise

worst world cup ever, the continuous noise from those bloody vuvuzulus, or bugles wtf they are, hate them, ruined every bit of soccer i watched.

Yerda

Veteran Member
worst world cup ever, the continuous noise from those bloody vuvuzulus, or bugles wtf they are, hate them, ruined every bit of soccer i watched.
I forgot about the vuvuzelas about a minute into every match.

I thought it was a great world cup. Best German side since the early 90s. They were impressive. A Dutch side that didn't implode. I thought Ghana were a joy to watch. Uruguay were good value. England were bloody awful (for which I give thanks :D). Upsets and shocks at every stage. Some high scoring games. Some amazing goals (Van Bronckhorst for Holland against Uruguay - stunning). And the best team in the world ran out eventual winners.

Loved it.

Skeptisch

And the best team in the world ran out eventual winners. Loved it.
On the Spanish team every single player was able to take the ball on with one touch! Amazing and a treat for anyone who likes artistry over force. And if you happen to have both, like the Spaniards, you deserve to win.
Viva España.

PS Where I watched Coke ran commercial featuring Roger Milla from 1990 :).

Smoke

Done here.
the continuous noise from those bloody vuvuzulus, or bugles wtf they are, hate them, ruined every bit of soccer i watched.
I like them. One problem I have with televised sports is that I don't like the noise of thousands of people all together. I actually prefer the vuvuzelas to the human noise.

Of course, if I were there in person I'd be part of the noisy crowd and it wouldn't be the crowd noise that bothered me. I'd have earplugs for sure.

Smoke

Done here.
You're weird. :p

You're not the first to notice. :)

But check this out: En Uruguay: Padres quieren llamar a su hija "María Vuvuzela" en honor al popular instrumento sudafricano

A couple in Uruguay have requested permission to name their daughter "María Vuvuzela." It's not certain whether permission will be granted, since Uruguayan law prohibits giving your children confusing, extravagant, or ridiculous names. The people at the civil registry are still thinking about it.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
You're not the first to notice. :)

But check this out: En Uruguay: Padres quieren llamar a su hija "María Vuvuzela" en honor al popular instrumento sudafricano

A couple in Uruguay have requested permission to name their daughter "María Vuvuzela." It's not certain whether permission will be granted, since Uruguayan law prohibits giving your children confusing, extravagant, or ridiculous names. The people at the civil registry are still thinking about it.

As long as you're already admitting to being weird, I guess you might as well compare yourself to such a couple. :)

That's fascinating that they have that law there. Can you imagine the outcry here if we tried to put that in place? The Tea Partiers would be rioting.

Smoke

Done here.
As long as you're already admitting to being weird, I guess you might as well compare yourself to such a couple. :)

That's fascinating that they have that law there. Can you imagine the outcry here if we tried to put that in place? The Tea Partiers would be rioting.
Sometimes I think we could use a law like that. Vuvuzela is a great name compared to names like Brandee, Typhanni, or McKayla, not to mention the names some performers give their children.

One of my favorite lines from Ugly Betty is this one: "If you're really such a celebrity then where's your posse? Where's your hybrid? Where's your inappropriately named baby?"