• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World’s Most Persecuted Minority

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I remember my last church going on and on about how people wanting religion out of government is persecution against them, you absolutely cannot say Merry Christmas, scientist are out to disprove religion force it out of the public sphere, no more school lead prayer in public school was an all out assault on Christianity, that pop culture media is trying to smother Christianity, and that trying to find the most generic way to acknowledge a holiday time celebrated by several religions that are all present and accounted for in your culture is more persecution. And, of course, their freedom of speech was under attack any time someone called them out or told them to shut up. I can't believe I stayed as long as I did.

I listen to a big range of atheist podcasts and my mind almost implodes at some of the stuff they spout. Boggles my mind.

JerryL

I'd say even more persecuted than the Jews are the Mormons, who are even fewer in numbers and they take alot of crap from society. Historically there have been more severely persecuted, such as the Jews, but in president day America I'd say the Mormons probably have it the worst as far as religious minorities groups go.

We had a Mormon get nominated by the GOP for president. His father had nearly gotten the nomination decades before.

You sure you want to say they are doing worse than the Atheists, or Wiccans, or Satanists in modern America?

We had a Mormon get nominated by the GOP for president. His father had nearly gotten the nomination decades before.

You sure you want to say they are doing worse than the Atheists, or Wiccans, or Satanists in modern America?

Next they will select Kirk Cameron.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
They have multiple graphs and tables for different kinds and levels of persecution. Harassment was only one of them.

To really get a good comparison, we'd have to define what persecution means, and the exact number of each represented group in each country, and also definitions of each group. Is a coptic christians the same as a pentecostal? In some places, there's been conflict between christian groups, so is that considered persecution of christians when other christians are doing it? (Thinking of the conflict between Ireland)

Well, this study says that the most persecuted religious groups are Christians followed by Muslims: http://religion-freedom-report.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/executive_summary.pdf

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Im not sure if that is the industry standard. Looks more like a business report.

It's the summery of a report by a Catholic charity: BBC News - Prince Charles says Christian persecution in Middle East 'a tragedy'

All of the data and articles point to Christianity being the most harassed/persecuted religious group in the world. Even the Pew study that Ourobouros posted says that. I looked over that study and I have no idea how he's interpreting it as Jews being the most persecuted.

The Most Persecuted Religion in the World | Kelly James Clark
http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887323277504578191963741245422
Christianity arguably the most persecuted religion in the world | Toronto Star

The Star article is a particularly good one laying out the situation and that was 4 years ago. The situation is considerably worse now in 2014.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I still don't get the point of the OP. Surely persecution is what should be fought, not trying to identify who is most persecuted on a global scale, when such a thing is useless in terms of addressing said persecution.
Apart from which, why have we now decided 'most persecuted minority' equates to 'most persecuted religious group'? These are completely different questions. On a global scale, many of the groups being mentioned aren't minorities anyway.

I would hazard a guess that a albino transgender mixed race little people are a more persecuted group than any of those mentioned in the posts above. What this proves is that people can be complete self-absorbed buttheads who treat those differently to themselves as 'wrong'. These same intolerant clowns are guilty of behaviour I wouldn't excuse in my 4 or 6 year old daughters.

What this proves beyond that, or what it tells us, apart from treating people as we want to be treated makes sense, or that there is a common thread in humanity we shouldn't forget about is completely beyond me. But I guess those are pretty good lessons to learn, and apparently difficult for many of the people on this planet.

Awoon1

I still don't get the point of the OP. Surely persecution is what should be fought, not trying to identify who is most persecuted on a global scale, when such a thing is useless in terms of addressing said persecution.
Apart from which, why have we now decided 'most persecuted minority' equates to 'most persecuted religious group'? These are completely different questions. On a global scale, many of the groups being mentioned aren't minorities anyway.

I would hazard a guess that a albino transgender mixed race little people are a more persecuted group than any of those mentioned in the posts above. What this proves is that people can be complete self-absorbed buttheads who treat those differently to themselves as 'wrong'. These same intolerant clowns are guilty of behaviour I wouldn't excuse in my 4 or 6 year old daughters.

What this proves beyond that, or what it tells us, apart from treating people as we want to be treated makes sense, or that there is a common thread in humanity we shouldn't forget about is completely beyond me. But I guess those are pretty good lessons to learn, and apparently difficult for many of the people on this planet.

Competition. Yesterday was Guinness World Record Day so the OP just got their choice in on time.

JerryL

Well, this study says that the most persecuted religious groups are Christians followed by Muslims: http://religion-freedom-report.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/executive_summary.pdf
At the risk of an Ad Hominem: this is from that PDF regarding the group that made that report:
"Aid to the Church in Need supports Christians wherever they are persecuted, oppressed or in pastoral need. "

A group whose purpose is to support persecuted Christians determined that Christians are more persecuted than everyone else. I fear that there may be insurmountable bias (and as another poster pointed out: that report is actually very sparse on details regarding statistical methods used or data)

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
At the risk of an Ad Hominem: this is from that PDF regarding the group that made that report:
"Aid to the Church in Need supports Christians wherever they are persecuted, oppressed or in pastoral need. "

A group whose purpose is to support persecuted Christians determined that Christians are more persecuted than everyone else. I fear that there may be insurmountable bias (and as another poster pointed out: that report is actually very sparse on details regarding statistical methods used or data)

I already said it's from a Catholic charity. It doesn't matter, though, because all the data reaches the same conclusion. The Pew study says the same thing.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I think there are some Christians that want to paint themselves as some kind of repressed "minority" as that is a romantic idea that appeals to a lot of people. They want to be an underdog fighting against some form of oppression through the power of god because they are just that special.

Now this isn't all or even most Christians. But a larger portion that I wish are like that. (Too be fair even 1 is a larger portion than I would like but meh)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner

The first part, that really doesn't prove anything. And what I'm really saying is what is the point of trying to label who has it the worst? If you are alive and can say your group is in the running for the worst, they either didn't have it the worst or this person survived hell.
But, since it is being labeled who has it the worst, the GLBT community by far has it worst than most others throughout human culture. They we even thrown in the concentration camps during the Holocaust. Homosexuals are executed in Iran, transsexuals are often victimized and murdered in America, and arrested in Russia.

Ok. Still, it's based on the sheer number of Christians and how widespread they are. But, okay, I let you have that one. :)
Yeah, kinda like how the wealthiest Americans pay such a vast overall percentage of taxes, but, then again, they also control a vast majority of all the wealth in America.

JerryL

The first part, that really doesn't prove anything. And what I'm really saying is what is the point of trying to label who has it the worst? If you are alive and can say your group is in the running for the worst, they either didn't have it the worst or this person survived hell.
But, since it is being labeled who has it the worst, the GLBT community by far has it worst than most others throughout human culture. They we even thrown in the concentration camps during the Holocaust. Homosexuals are executed in Iran, transsexuals are often victimized and murdered in America, and arrested in Russia.

That first part supports that Mormons are more accepted in American society than, say, Jews, NeoPagans, Athiests, Hindus, Muslims, Seiks, etc.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
It's the summery of a report by a Catholic charity: BBC News - Prince Charles says Christian persecution in Middle East 'a tragedy'

All of the data and articles point to Christianity being the most harassed/persecuted religious group in the world. Even the Pew study that Ourobouros posted says that. I looked over that study and I have no idea how he's interpreting it as Jews being the most persecuted.

The Most Persecuted Religion in the World | Kelly James Clark
http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887323277504578191963741245422
Christianity arguably the most persecuted religion in the world | Toronto Star

The Star article is a particularly good one laying out the situation and that was 4 years ago. The situation is considerably worse now in 2014.

An article about middle east religious affairs, Wall Street Journal article and a report from a potentially biased source? Doesnt fit I am sorry. I believe I was talking about western society. Unless there is a peer reviewed journal from a source that would not have a possible conflict of interest to support your view then this is fairly pointless.

I come from a country where religion is not really a big deal like it is in the US. the christians here are and the most spotlight they get is usually when someone claiming to be a part of that faith says something outrageous about the LGBTQ community.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
That first part supports that Mormons are more accepted in American society than, say, Jews, NeoPagans, Athiests, Hindus, Muslims, Seiks, etc.

I know some pagans in the US as well. They are harassed pretty regularly by neighbours etc for apparently being devil worshippers.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
An article about middle east religious affairs, Wall Street Journal article and a report from a potentially biased source? Doesnt fit I am sorry. I believe I was talking about western society. Unless there is a peer reviewed journal from a source that would not have a possible conflict of interest to support your view then this is fairly pointless.

I come from a country where religion is not really a big deal like it is in the US. the christians here are and the most spotlight they get is usually when someone claiming to be a part of that faith says something outrageous about the LGBTQ community.

You're seriously going on about this? I thought we were done talking about this. You can deny reality if you want.