• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Workplace Harassment

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In places I've worked, I don't know of sexual harassment. But I have seen other kinds.
In particular, threats of violence have had the most effect. I've had to fire workers for
threatening tenants or co-workers on several occasions. This is major stuff, but I don't
see it in the news. Has anyone else run across this?

Flame

Beware
We had a doctor who was known for flirting and touching younger nurses for a long time before he retired. This last summer we had girl working in the kitchen who made threats to a few older patients. There are quite a few but our administration like to keep it shush-shush.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
When I was a civilian employee for the Air Force, threats and fear of retaliation were quite common. My father actually got the Base Commander removed from her position and demoted because of it.

At my current job, everyone - women and female managers included - were joking and laughing over the radio about how our "Party" aisle is aisle 69.

I like those kind of jobs, where no one cares about jokes that literally hurt no one.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
When I did inventory, there were a few known sexual harassers. Unfortunately, it took an excessive amount of effort to completely get rid of them, but it was something I did not tolerate.
The last fast food job I had, sexual harassment was common and daily, and I was powerless to do anything about it (it also wasn't the only problem this place had).

siti

I have been the victim of workplace bullying a couple of times - not physical, but open threats to my continued employment if I did not agree to (or at least overlook) certain irregular activities (of the financial variety). I did not back down and the perpetrators have gone and I'm still here.

I was once physically assaulted - not seriously though - just a push from a very angry and out of control Head of Department. Fortunately - because I am pretty handy physically if needs be and I can lose my head if pushed too far - I maintained my composure and reported the matter to senior management - they swept it under the carpet but it never happened to me again.

I am acutely aware though that this kind of thing happens far too frequently and I have also been frustrated when my own staff have been victimized by others outside our team but are reluctant to report the matter officially for fear of further victimization. I can only do so much to protect them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have been the victim of workplace bullying a couple of times - not physical, but open threats to my continued employment if I did not agree to (or at least overlook) certain irregular activities (of the financial variety). I did not back down and the perpetrators have gone and I'm still here.

I was once physically assaulted - not seriously though - just a push from a very angry and out of control Head of Department. Fortunately - because I am pretty handy physically if needs be and I can lose my head if pushed too far - I maintained my composure and reported the matter to senior management - they swept it under the carpet but it never happened to me again.

I am acutely aware though that this kind of thing happens far too frequently and I have also been frustrated when my own staff have been victimized by others outside our team but are reluctant to report the matter officially for fear of further victimization. I can only do so much to protect them.
I'd forgotten about all the harassment that tenants gave my staff & me.
Their racism, sexism, & physical assaults.
Particularly dangerous were female tenants who'd put male maintenance
staff in difficult circumstances with their sexual aggression. Fortunately,
it never exploded into anything significant.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I had someone in a meeting blathering on about running protesters over with his car if they stood in his way, boasting how he had all this ammo at home to greet them with, and such other I-have-a-tiny-penis speech. I told him it was unprofessional, and he told me if I didn't like it I could go find the door. I informed HR. They fired him. So, there is hope that idiots don't all get to be president.

Grandliseur

In places I've worked, I don't know of sexual harassment. But I have seen other kinds.
In particular, threats of violence have had the most effect. I've had to fire workers for
threatening tenants or co-workers on several occasions. This is major stuff, but I don't
My son lives in another country. One of his friends worked in a warehouse, he is a martial arts expert btw, this one's mother was an immigrant from Asia. He kept getting harassed by some of the other workers because of his obvious foreign features.

In one case, the man being harassed had to become physical to a fair degree. Even when people are warned that if they don't stop the harassment violence will follow, some are too stupid to stop what they are doing. In the states, with the number of guns, people get shot because of it.

While young, at a work place, while standing working, I was assaulted from behind being hit in my balls quite unexpectedly. Simply reacting, I nearly killed the guy. There have been times when I would not have regretted killing some people, including my own brother - even today, had it happened, it would not have been a bad thing as things were back then.

Violence really is a must at times. It works. The enemy who is dead will not bother you again. It is the one who gets injured that will get you back in lawsuits, etc.. I have heard that in China when people are run over by cars by accident, some run the person over several times to make sure s/he is dead. It is cheaper that way.

Last edited:

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson

Yup.... worked in a state office (all of these are the same office and the same people) where the upper management of an office did not like one of the guys that worked for them.... he was out on an extended leave for rehabilitation purposes that they took offense to it..... so when he returned they would leave magazines on his desk open to pages of alcohol or drug adds.... they would make sure to talk about getting drunk when he was in the vicinity..... he however was smarter than they were. He went to the Employee Assistance Program and told them what was going on and that state office had to pay for him working for another state office...outside...in a park....they hated him even more, but they could do nothing about it and he loved his new work situation.

A supervisor of cleaners use to love to hire folks just so he could fire them while on probation.... for various things that ran the gambit from legitimate to pathetically silly

Another gentleman was harassed because he was out a couple weeks every summer and they could do nothing about it, they denied his requests more than once...but he went anyway, they tried real hard to get rid of him, give him jobs that were hard to do, in hopes that he would mess up so they could write him up, they wrote him up if he was 1 minute late....they accused him of all sorts of things..... but he never let it get to him...did his time... and retired..... oh...that 2 weeks off...was for the National Guard...so they really could not stop him....

I worked for a person, when I was state security, who loved to show up and bully and push the guards around.... his biggest problem was me... because I read the contract and documented everything..... so he was incredibly frustrated by me...but he could do nothing about it and eventually left the guards alone...