• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Word of Faith?

The Word of Faith Doctrine Is....

• Total voters

LoveNeverFails

Something of a Dreamer...
From Word of Faith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ...

Word of Faith, also known as Word-Faith or simply Faith, is a teaching within neo-pentecostal and charismatic churches worldwide. The central doctrine is that health and prosperity are promised to all believers, and are available through faith.

Kenneth Hagin (1917-2003), of Tulsa, Oklahoma, was heavily influenced by Kenyon's writings. Hagin is often referred to as the "father" of the modern Word-Faith movement. Other preachers in Tulsa were mentored by "Papa" Hagin, and began to preach the same doctrines. The most prominent of these is Kenneth Copeland.

The Word-Faith teachings are that physical healing was included in Christ'satonement, and therefore is available here and now to all who believe. Frequently cited in favor of the doctrine is Isaiah 53:5: "By his stripes we are healed." They also point to Jesus' healings, especially Matthew 8:17, which says that he healed the sick so that "it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the Prophet, 'Himself took our infirmities, and bore our sicknesses'."

Because Isaiah speaks in the present tense ("we are healed"), many of the most prominent Faith preachers teach that believers should overlook the symptoms of sickness, and instead positively believe and confess that they are already healed. According to adherents, sickness is an attempt by Satan to rob believers of their divine right to total health.

Most do not openly advocate dispensing with medical treatment, although some, such as Fred Price, have claimed to be strong enough in faith that they no longer need medicine.

According to Word-Faith theology, financial prosperity and wealth was also included in the Atonement. This is based on an interpretation of the words of the Apostle Paul: "Yet for your sakes he became poor, that you by his poverty might become rich" (2 Corinthians 8:9). Critics believe Paul was speaking of spiritual riches, rather than material prosperity. Faith proponents support their view by arguing that the context is the giving of material wealth.

It is often taught by Word-Faith proponents that Jesus and the apostles were rich, and therefore that believers should expect the same financial success. Supporters such as Kenneth Copeland have argued that Prosperity Gospel is validated by the teachings of the Apostle John: "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth" (3 John 2). Copeland posits that “as the seeds of prosperity are planted in your mind, in your will and in your emotions…they eventually produce a great financial harvest." Critics argue that interpreting the salutation of John at the beginning of the epistle as a promise of prosperity is not consistent with New Testament teaching.

In Word-Faith teaching, the central element of faith is "confession". The doctrine is often labelled "Positive Confession". Noted Word-Faith teachers such as Hagin and Charles Capps have argued that God created the universe through the power of the spoken word (Genesis 1), and that humans were created with the same power to speak things into being by their words. Thus, making a positive confession (by reciting a promise of Scripture, for example) has the power to cause things to happen. Word-Faith preachers have likened faith to a "force".

Conversely, according to Word-Faith teaching, "negative confession" can bring about negative results, and therefore believers should be careful to watch their words. This is often based on a literal interpretations of Proverbs 18:21: "Life and death are in the power of the tongue, and they that love them will eat the fruit thereof."

I was raised in the above doctrine my entire life, and my parents are still heavily and firmly rooted in it. They are more balanced than some...they go to the doctor, they don't believe in looking and seeking after wealth, just God...but they do believe that wealth and health are bi-products of strong faith in God, and in doing what He has called you do to.

I think there is balance to be found. I do believe in thinking and speaking positivally, and do believe God wants us to prosper if we seek Him first and desire Him first.

But sometimes, life can't be all mountaintops...how would we appreciate the good without bad to compare it to?

I believe a balanced approach is needed for any doctrine, or religion...or anything, really!

Any thoughts?

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
I have to say that I believe it is a delusion and an embarrasement ot the church of Jesus Christ and I think it is a Christianty that the Sudanese Christians or Christains of times past would not recognise. B

A

angellous_evangellous

I have to say that I believe it is a delusion and an embarrasement ot the church of Jesus Christ and I think it is a Christianty that the Sudanese Christians or Christains of times past would not recognise. B

As with most flavors of Christianity.

I agree that word of faith is an embarassment to Christianity, and there is no room for balance with that.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Somehow I can't see Jesus looking fondly on a follower who asks him and/or God to make them rich.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member

I agree; personally I find the idea doesn't "sit" with me well at all.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Isa 56:11-12
(11) Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter.
(12) Come ye, say they, I will fetch wine, and we will fill ourselves with strong drink; and to morrow shall be as this day, and much more abundant.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
I think that faith in God promises us spiritual health, not necessarily physical health.
Isa 65:20
(20) There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed.

LoveNeverFails

Thanks to everyone for replying. I do want to clarify that my dad frequently says that being blessed of God has nothing to do with financial prosperity. They live on a very modest budget, yet are spiritually prosperous, while financially modest, yet not poor. They are now entering into their "autumn" years, but up until recently they both worked full time jobs in addition to pastoring, which is a full time job by itself!

Yet I have seen this doctrine taken the wrong way...people going off into "Christian" pyramid schemes...so sad, so deceiptful.

I myself believe the Bible is saying we can expect spiritual blessings and enlightenment. I do however believe that by and large God wants us, as His Salt and Light and Examples to the world, to walk in health, and to not be beggers. I think we can walk in confidence and furthermore, I think one thing that is true to an extent (again, some go overboard) is positive confession. Even non-Christian scientific studies and documented medical cases have proven that positive thought and confession and prayer is undeniably powerful in the health and recovery of people!

I personally think that while the glory should obviously be given to God, Jesus Himself even said "Thy FAITH has made thee whole". The Bible says again and again that the power of life and death is in the tongue. We would do well to remember that as Christians we are to walk in victory, for Christ is victorious in us!:shout:angel2:

But again, to clarify, I believe that we live in a fallen world, and sometimes bad things happen to good people. The rain falls on the just and the unjust. God uses bad times to teach us lessons, one of which is the simple lesson of contrast. If life were a bowl of cherries, how then would we ever appreciate it? :shrug:

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
As with most flavors of Christianity.
Lol, well i was thinking in line of the scriptural and tradtional Christian practice of dying to self, "not my will but thy will be done" rather than trying to use the grace of God to get what self desires or "turning the grace of God into laciviousness".
I agree many movements that pass as Christian today would be unrecognisable to earlier Christianity. But I view this as a departure from scripture rather than from tradition as you know if a tradition is not founded in scripture then it can be rooted up and replaced if need be.

I agree that word of faith is an embarassment to Christianity, and there is no room for balance with that.
I'm glad seminary hasn't completely warped your view. ;)

LoveNeverFails

Lol, well i was thinking in line of the scriptural and tradtional Christian practice of dying to self, "not my will but thy will be done" rather than trying to use the grace of God to get what self desires or "turning the grace of God into laciviousness".

So do you think it is God's will that His servants walk around sick and poor?

*Paul* said:
I agree many movements that pass as Christian today would be unrecognisable to earlier Christianity. But I view this as a departure from scripture rather than from tradition as you know if a tradition is not founded in scripture then it can be rooted up and replaced if need be.

I'm glad seminary hasn't completely warped your view. ;)

In what way is it a departure from scripture?

rocka21

Brother Rock
agree that word of faith is an embarassment to Christianity, and there is no room for balance with that.

good question here.

if word of faith is such an " embarassment" how come other faiths such as catholic, baptist, and others show up on " word of faith" tv?

we must not be that much of an embarassment to be all up on our networks.

A

angellous_evangellous

***MOD ADVISORY***

Please remember that this is a discussion only forum, and not a debate. Thanks...

Izdaari

Emergent Anglo-Catholic
I don't think WoF is all wrong, but I think many WoF teachers take it too far. There are several WoF teachers that I very much enjoy and have learned much from, but I don't buy all their doctrine.

LovebirdsFlying

Mrs. Brady
Wow. I came on to say exactly what I find my good friend Izzy (hello there) has already said.

Funny how many times that happens.

Something is wrong with the teaching that if you're not rolling in dough, or if your illnesses aren't healed completely and immediately, you don't have the right kind of faith. But there is a grain of truth in the teaching. Attitude goes a long way, and the one who says, "oh poor me, my life is always going to suck" will find that it does.

Last edited:
Well I think that you can ask God for anything. In fact some might say you would want to be careful about that because He just might give it to you knowing that it will harrow your soul and bring you to the pits of despair, knowing that eventually you will learn and grow from the experience. God does like to challenge us, and His concern and priority is certainly not for our comfort but for our growth that we may realize the potential that He can see in us.

We are after all talking about the creator who in the creation of life has pruned many branches (the extinction of many species), and about the one who allowed the most horrendous things to happen to his own beloved chosen people so that they and the rest of the world might learn from seeing such depravity in human nature and thus be changed forever (if by increments only).

ZooGirl02

I voted for the first option. I wouldn't call Word of Faith believers to be delusional though. However, I do consider them to be unorthodox to a certain point. Nowhere in the Bible does God promise to make His followers wealthy and healthy.

gdemoss

servant
For I mean not that other men be eased, and ye burdened: But by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may be a supply for their want, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want: that there may be equality: As it is written, He that had gathered much had nothing over; and he that had gathered little had no lack.

In Gods economy those who are blessed financially give grace to those who are not so fortunate. Jesus relied on God the Father to provide for him daily without fear of going without.

And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare.

According to Paul we should be happy with the bare minimum. Why would I covet more?

Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

Financial prosperity isn't necessarily from God as reward in this life.

give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.

And I am sure that the list of verses to reference goes on and on.