• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With bafflement upon bafflement!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The explanation is based on scriptural consistency.

In Genesis 5:1, it says, 'This is the book of the generations of Adam'.

In Matthew 1:1, it says, 'The book of the generation of Jesus Christ'.

Adam's descendants are listed as 'generations' because each descendant is promised death in Adam [Genesis 2:17].

Jesus Christ is one generation because his life has no end. Jesus said, 'l am the resurrection, and the life' [John 11:25] This means that anyone 'in Christ' is of the body of Christ (just as Eve was made of Adam's rib). The generation of Christ, which ultimately includes all who enter into the kingdom of God, continues until the day of Christ's return in glory.
Sorry, but that is not a valid way to interpret the Bible. One can get it to say almost anything if one abuses it in that way.

The proper interpretation is clear. You don't like it because that makes it a terribly failed prophesy.

Jesus was clearly talking to the disciples. There was no indication of your explanation

Redemptionsong

Sorry, but that is not a valid way to interpret the Bible. One can get it to say almost anything if one abuses it in that way.

The proper interpretation is clear. You don't like it because that makes it a terribly failed prophesy.

Jesus was clearly talking to the disciples. There was no indication of your explanation
Yes, Jesus was talking to his disciples, and his disciples are of the generation of Christ.

The scriptures confirm that Jesus Christ is head of the Church, the body of Christ.

Ephesians 5:23. 'For the husband is the head of the the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.'

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm sure we've discussed this many times before, Tony, but l cannot see that there is a need for more than one Saviour, or mediator.

The Christ of God is without sin, and takes away the sin of the world. This only needs to be accomplished once. Thereafter, the Holy Spirit can lead any man who places faith in the risen Lord. IMO.

Yes I agree that the Annointed Ones (Christ) are of God and are sinless. Our belief in them is being born into that state of being, by accepting and most importantly by the subsequent deeds and actions.

They are all One in that Spirit with God and we can choose that Oneness.

Regards Tony

Redemptionsong

Yes I agree that the Annointed Ones (Christ) are of God and are sinless. Our belief in them is being born into that state of being, by accepting and most importantly by the subsequent deeds and actions.

They are all One in that Spirit with God and we can choose that Oneness.

Regards Tony
How many 'heads' does a Bahai have? Who is your King of kings?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, Jesus was talking to his disciples, and his disciples are of the generation of Christ.

The scriptures confirm that Jesus Christ is head of the Church, the body of Christ.

Ephesians 5:23. 'For the husband is the head of the the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.'
And sone of them were supposed to be alive at the time of the second coming.

I am still on the lookyout for a 2,000 year old Jew.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I have no wish to cause hurt, but l'm taking my lead from your scriptures!

Isaiah 42:6,7. 'I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;
To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house'.

Do you consider yourself blind, or not?
Translation: "Not sorry".

OK. Maybe we should drop it, and hopefully knowing that saying things like this are insulting, you'll avoid it in the future since you are asking for Jewish people to reply. Trust me, it's rude.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The speaking in tongues on the day of Pentecost was unusual, and does not compare exactly with the phenomenon referred to by Paul in the epistles.

To my understanding, the hearing of tongues with translation, as occurred at Pentecost, is a sign that relates back to Babel. For just as God had undone the evil intentions of mankind by confusing their languages, so God unites mankind in delivering the language that expresses the love of God. Thus, the Spirit of God is able to unite mankind in a way that religion cannot.
What's missing are the reasons to believe the story in Acts 2 is true. Can you provide some good strong reasons? A reversal of the tower of Babel story doesn't really help.

idea

Question Everything
Thank you, This is still a pretty big stretch though. Going from evidence of the Holy Spirit to evidence of speaking in tongues as described in Acts 2 takes a rather large leap. I mean, it's not like there are folks who can demonstrate speaking in tongues on youtube. So these individuals' testimony at best still won't have much impact.

Folks demonstrate lots of things on youtube

Yes, it would have more impact if they all came from the same faith, if there was anything consistent in it all. "Holy Spirit", and speaking in tongues is evidence of mental instability, nothing more. If you have experienced either... it wasn't from god...

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How many 'heads' does a Bahai have? Who is your King of kings?

God is who we all turn to, it is God that sends the Messenger to be the Kings of humanity who sit upon the throne. As such God is known by many names and has been found through many Messengers. Names can become a veil between us and the One God.

It is the Station of Christ that we all turn to. Peter confirmed this when Jesus asked of Him Who Peter thought he was, and Peter answered you are Christ (AnnointedOne). Jesus then offered that is the foundations that the Church will be built upon. This is not a church of bricks and mortar, it is the realisation of the Oneness of God.

Regards Tony

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
What's missing are the reasons to believe the story in Acts 2 is true.
Reasons They don't need no stinkin' reasons. Like Anastasia and Drizella, Cinderella's step-sisters, they'll shove and squeeze their narrative into the text until they can convince themselves that it fits - a conviction that is more willful than warranted.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Pentecost? No, I don't think he does.
Somewhere Paul says that the (risen) Jesus appeared to the 500 and then finally to him. I think that appearance to the 500 was an allusion to the Pentecost experience. But I may be wrong.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Somewhere Paul says that the (risen) Jesus appeared to the 500 and then finally to him. I think that appearance to the 500 was an allusion to the Pentecost experience. But I may be wrong.

It isn't. Jesus didn't appear to anyone at Pentecost.

ETA: But I don't blame you for getting the two mixed up, either. ;) I'm quite confident you'd blow my knowledge of Hindu myth out of the water!

Redemptionsong

Translation: "Not sorry".

OK. Maybe we should drop it, and hopefully knowing that saying things like this are insulting, you'll avoid it in the future since you are asking for Jewish people to reply. Trust me, it's rude.
There is nothing rude about calling a blind man blind. If you believe that 'you' (meaning 'Judah and Jerusalem', lsaiah1:2) are not blind to the truth of God's word, then explain lsaiah 56:10,11 to me!

Isaiah 56:10,11.
'His watchmen are blind: they are all ignorant, they are all dumb dogs, they cannot bark; sleeping, lying down, loving to slumber.
Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter.'

Are you, as Jews, not meant to be his watchmen? What's gone wrong with your shepherds?

It's a good thing lsaiah's not around to post on RF!

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There is nothing rude about calling a blind man blind. If you believe that 'you' (meaning 'Judah and Jerusalem', lsaiah1:2) are not blind to the truth of God's word, then explain lsaiah 56:10,11 to me!

Isaiah 65:10,11.
'His watchmen are blind: they are all ignorant, they are all dumb dogs, they cannot bark; sleeping, lying down, loving to slumber.
Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter.'

Are you, as Jews, not meant to be his watchmen? What's gone wrong with your shepherds?

It's a good thing lsaiah's not around to post on RF!
You would have to show that someone that does not follow your beliefs is blind.

How are you going to do that?

Redemptionsong

What's missing are the reasons to believe the story in Acts 2 is true. Can you provide some good strong reasons? A reversal of the tower of Babel story doesn't really help.
Apart from the prophecies in the Hebrew scriptures to the coming of the Holy Spirit, as found in Joel, lsaiah and Jeremiah, we have the words of Jesus before his crucifixion.

John 15:26. 'But when the Comforter is come, whom l will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he will testify of me:'

Then, at the time of his ascension, forty days after resurrection, Jesus commanded the disciples to wait in Jerusalem for the promise of the Holy Spirit:

Acts 1:4,5. 'And being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.
For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.'

Acts 2:1-4.' And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a mighty rushing wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.'

Last edited:

Redemptionsong

Reasons They don't need no stinkin' reasons. Like Anastasia and Drizella, Cinderella's step-sisters, they'll shove and squeeze their narrative into the text until they can convince themselves that it fits - a conviction that is more willful than warranted.
It's a pity you don't take notice of the scriptures you hold so dear.

On the day that Eve took of the forbidden fruit, both she and Adam experienced a noticeable change in their relationship with God.

Here are the words of Genesis 3:9.
'And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?'

Why did Adam and Eve feel the need to hide themselves? Is it not because the Holy Spirit had departed from them?

Jeremiah 31:33. 'But this shall be the covenant that l will make with the house of lsrael; After those days, saith the LORD, l will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.'

Odd that, because you claim God as your own, but without the Holy Spirit it would appear that God doesn't know you!

Last edited:

Redemptionsong

God is who we all turn to, it is God that sends the Messenger to be the Kings of humanity who sit upon the throne. As such God is known by many names and has been found through many Messengers. Names can become a veil between us and the One God.

It is the Station of Christ that we all turn to. Peter confirmed this when Jesus asked of Him Who Peter thought he was, and Peter answered you are Christ (AnnointedOne). Jesus then offered that is the foundations that the Church will be built upon. This is not a church of bricks and mortar, it is the realisation of the Oneness of God.

Regards Tony
Yes, the Church is founded on the Rock, Jesus Christ ('God with us'). But the scriptures do not say that there is more than one Christ!

The one and only Christ is the head, through whom the anointing comes. Without Christ Jesus as your head, there can be no anointing in the Holy Spirit. As he says, 'l am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.'